Rankings based on post numbers

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

ftayl5
Newcomer
Newcomer

Rankings based on post numbers

Post by ftayl5 »

Just a random thought that occurred to me as I was reading over some threads and threads in other forums.

And that thought was this: most of the other Warhammer forums have 'rankings' or 'ranks' or titles based on the number of posts you have.
Warseer for example, once you reach 1000 posts, you area chapter master.
On Drcuhii.net, once you get to so many you become a Black Guard and on under-empire, you can advance from slave up to warlord and etc.

So I was just wondering, why does asrai.org not have a similar system?
unholyquake
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Rankings based on post numbers

Post by unholyquake »

it's in the forum rules. basically they don't have ranks so that people don't add pointless comments or spam just to increase their rank, that way it is only worth posting relevant comments that actually contribute to a topic becuase no matter how many posts you have your rank will always be the same.
Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will.

My drawing blog- http://www.becomingabetterartist.blogspot.com
My website- http://www.creatingfantasyandsciencefiction.weebly.com
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

I've never liked ranking people by their post count. Posting is just one part of being a member in a forum, and if you really want to rank the users, it shouldn't be based on post count alone. I don't even think counting posts is necessary. Sure it has it uses, you can see how active someone is etc. but in the Finnish forums the moderator has made post counts only visible on the user's profile page, and I really like it that way. Ranking and such tends to make the high ranked think they're somehow better than the low ranked, and that affects the atmosphere of the forum. In some cases even the post count alone causes the same effect. And there will always be those who make stupid posts only to increase their post count and to look cooler that way, and you can imagine them going crazy when there is a ranking system based on posts.

But those are just my thoughts on this subject. I don't have any power here to decide whether users should be ranked or not. ;) I just don't think it would make things any better, I like asrai.org how it is. People seem to be more polite and friendly here than on some other forums. I haven't seen much flame wars lately, and there aren't any arrogant posters who think they know everything and mock people for fun. Trolls are also pretty rare around here.
unholyquake
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by unholyquake »

i think a part of the reaosn for that is that the moderators go around surveying posts and making sure that hateful comments and pointless posts are removed and not tolerated (which they do an excellent job of).

i think tuhis is right about post counts being kind of pointless, and i agree that ranks shouldn't be based on post count. some people may not have many posts but the few they do provide are useful and relevant. unlike others who post thousands of little pieces of rubbish which do not contribute to anything except their own post count.
Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will.

My drawing blog- http://www.becomingabetterartist.blogspot.com
My website- http://www.creatingfantasyandsciencefiction.weebly.com
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

It's explained in the Rules and Guidelines as pointed out above. We don't have post-count based titles because they don't mean a lot beyond you're very active. What we're aiming for isn't so much activity as discussion that's of a good quality. The activity's good to have, but not if we drown in spam. Ranks/titles are occasionally handed out as prizes for things like Member of the Year.

And on the matter of moderation and cleaning up topics that are getting out of hand. This site is really good for staying on track and being polite. I've only had to step in on two occasions since I became a moderator. Most of our work is in hunting down spambots when they slip through.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Just an observation.

The Herdstone has an option for a custom title after a certain number of posts (along with rankings and a number of other things) which I thought was pretty fun.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Lighteater
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: My beloved treehuggers

Post by Lighteater »

I don`t miss the ranks too. This forum is one of the best, I have ever been. Sure, sometimes, the tensions get high here too, but most of the time, the discussions are fun to read and to participate. With ranks, the mood of the forum would change for sure.

And after some time, you know the ones, who post often, even without a post counter (which is included here :nod: ). So, no need for ranks.
Logics and tabletops are incompatible.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

What Misty and others have said. Naggie has toyed in the past with removing post counts altogether, but it's a nice little feature just to see how active people are. Increasing your post count simply for the sake of advancing to the next rank isn't something we want to encourage, so there isn't that feature as there is on so many other forums. This site has always been about promoting decent and insightful discussion, and I think we do that very well (as an aside, that's also the reason why we don't have the "Quick Reply" feature that is cropping up increasingly on many other forums...)

As for custom ranks after a certain post count - personally, I think that's only a small step down from the post count-associated ranks, just over a longer period of time. We would much rather hand out custom titles to people who have earned them through some other deed that posting excessively. Without wanting to promote elitism too much, having them as earned rewards makes them more exclusive and thus much more "valuable".
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
ftayl5
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ftayl5 »

I imagined there was a good reason and yeah, that all actually makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for explaining that :)
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Beithir Seun wrote:We would much rather hand out custom titles to people who have earned them through some other deed that posting excessively. Without wanting to promote elitism too much, having them as earned rewards makes them more exclusive and thus much more "valuable".
The problem is select few being rewarded with custom titles is moving towards promoting elitism.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Like I said, there is perhaps that aspect. But truth be told, it depends on your perspective. For some people, it will be elitist. For others (hopefully the majority) it instead presents something to aim for and aspire to. We're not intending to set anybody above everybody else; we want to reward people for their hard work and effort on the site. Quite honestly, I would rather promote a little elitism than any sort of post count-based alternative.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Fair enough. So long as we're all clear ;)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

I feel obliged to answer in this thread, but all my reasons for taking this decision 6 years ago has already been explained in full by other members.
Sorry for being so late into everything these days =(

~ Naggie