SQL Error Question

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

SQL Error Question

Post by Shandrakor »

Why have I been getting a lot of this error lately when I come to asrai.org?

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Unknown MySQL server host 'nagathi.db.3619774.hostedresource.com' (2) [2005]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Doesn't overly seem like there's much rhyme or reason as to when it shows up, it just does. Sometimes it goes away relatively quickly, others it sticks around for a while.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
herenvardo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE only for now
Location: Sant Cugat del Vallès, Vallès Occidental, Catalunya

Re: SQL Error Question

Post by herenvardo »

I have noticed that as well.

From the apparent randomness and the description of the error, I'd guess it's caused by either of these:

- Hardware issues on the server hosting the database.

- (More likely) Server overload (too many people trying to get into the site, or some other sites hosted by the same server, within a short timespan).

Which basically means that there is not much the administrator of the site can do, other than contacting to whomever provides the hosting to sort out the issues. Unless the site is running on a real private server (on such case, the administrator who has set the server up should know how to diagnose and deal with the problem).
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Sounds like a time out issue of the forum software trying to query the database. Given the slowness of asrai lately that's not an unexpected error.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

These aren't showing up as board issues (i.e. solely asrai.org) which suggests to me that it's a server issue. As Herenvardo said, there's not much we can do about it other than contact the server provider and hope they sort it out quickly.

That said, I've not experienced this error at all myself.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

As always with communities like this, there's a constant struggle between the customers (in this case me) trying to get the best possible product from the service (in this case, our server host) as cheap as possible. According to all network tools and analysing tools, we are nowhere near our maximum bandwidth, and our database isn't all that huge. There's not much I can do but hope the company from which I rent server space will shape up.

~ Naggie