The archers on the main sight banner, as seen above

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ember of the Hidden Paths
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

The archers on the main sight banner, as seen above

Post by Ember of the Hidden Paths »

The main banner at the top of the screen uses images from the mmorpg guild wars, doesnt it. is it affected by copy right?
One does not simply take a Wild Rider charge...
Christars
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: The archers on the main sight banner, as seen above

Post by Christars »

Admittedly the guy on the left does really look like Aidan, though I can't be sure...

Do you have any reference to the Guild Wars material this is supposed to be taken from?

By the way, Guild Wars is great fun. A MMORPG which can be played as a single player RPG to great enjoyment (excepting the friggin' Underworld...)!
My true motto is "Smile sane, don't be bored"
Katastrophy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Katastrophy »

Considering this site doesn't use it to make money off it and is a free site with a fairly small community, the banner probably falls under fair use.
Ellisthion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau

Post by Ellisthion »

Huh. Can't believe I never noticed that. Left one's Aidan's concept art... right one's this lass... don't recognise the middle one...
Katastrophy wrote:Considering this site doesn't use it to make money off it and is a free site with a fairly small community, the banner probably falls under fair use.
Lol it totally doesn't work like that.
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Yes, the images are from random online games or similar sources.
Images can be used if they are sufficiently remade and altered as to be a new piece of artwork. And the fact that we don't, never have and never will, use these images for commercial purposes makes us fly under the radar. If the IP owners of these images contacted Asrai.org (i.e. me personally), I would take them down immediately.

~ Naggie
Hjiryon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves.

Post by Hjiryon »

The middle one is, I believe, Antonia Bayle from Everquest 2?
Katastrophy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Katastrophy »

Ellisthion wrote:Huh. Can't believe I never noticed that. Left one's Aidan's concept art... right one's this lass... don't recognise the middle one...
Katastrophy wrote:Considering this site doesn't use it to make money off it and is a free site with a fairly small community, the banner probably falls under fair use.
Lol it totally doesn't work like that.
You can read about the Fair Use clause on Wikipedia to get a general idea, but the basic gist of it is that Guild Wars, a company that makes millions of dollars every minute, is highly unlikely to track down every time someone uses one of their images, and even more unlikely to give a damn that someone is using their image on a small online community that's not profiting off the image in any way. This site is not competing with Guild Wars and not using their image to make money that would otherwise be spent on them. Copyright law really only comes out when money is involved.
robcd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by robcd »

Hjiryon wrote:The middle one is, I believe, Antonia Bayle from Everquest 2?
Yeup! And also not an elf :p
Ember of the Hidden Paths
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Ember of the Hidden Paths »

earns millions of dollars a minute?
its a no monthly fees game, part of the reason it has trouble hauling in the funds for its sequal
One does not simply take a Wild Rider charge...