the search function

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

pearldrums
Newcomer
Newcomer

the search function

Post by pearldrums »

Has any one else has issues with the search button on this website? I frequently get pointed to it by google searches, and often find what I'm looking for in stickys, but I've tried searching for things on several ocasion using the forums search function and it always says that the queryed words were too common or something like that.

I've never had a successful search...
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Re: the search function

Post by Mist Walker »

The search works fine, if you're looking for something you've seen before and can avoid the army book phrases or common abbreiviations.

I think Nag's mentioned it before as it being too difficult to increase the range of it due to memory reasons etc. He'll swing by and answer in more detail soon enough.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Re: the search function

Post by Naggie »

At the moment, we have 168062 indexed unique words on this site, and 5971459 number of word to post relations indexed with a 3% common word threshold. That means that words which are in more than 3% of all written words on this site (i.e. every 33rd word) will be considered too common to be searchable. A search on such a word will result in several million hits and be unreasonable to sift through anyway.

If you're having trouble finding what you are looking for, you need to be more specific, make use of several words you want to search for, and set what forum to look in, and most effectively; name the author of the post you are looking for.

~ Naggie