LEAF

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ellisthion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau

LEAF

Post by Ellisthion »

Right. This has been driving me nuts, and I can't find any reference to it, so I'm going to have to ask.

What the hell does LEAF stand for?

:)
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Re: LEAF

Post by Tuhis »

Library of Educational Articles Feature.

Or something close to that, can't actually find it anywhere printed :paranoid:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

The Library of Educational Articles Feature. Nifty, eh? ;)

Tuhis (and now Beithir too!) let his arrows fly faster than me...
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

It's a feature I implemented when voices raised and asked if we should create our own webzine. I prefer this format as it puts less pressure on the writers, and all articles are always easy to find and read.

The feature is called the Library of Educational Articles Feature, or The LEAF for short.

http://www.asrai.org/leaf

~ Naggie
tuku
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tuku »

i occasionally read the articles, they are very useful. thanks to anyone that helps writing them.

will you update leaf articles according to new edition rules?
Ellisthion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau

Post by Ellisthion »

I'm amazed that two hours after my post you folks managed three answer in three minutes. Synchonised watches or something? :-D

Anyway I can now die happy, thanks.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Ellisthion wrote:I'm amazed that two hours after my post you folks managed three answer in three minutes. Synchonised watches or something? :-D
It's the ninja powers of LEAF-hood :ninja: (or it could just be that we all have too much time on our hands!)
tuku wrote:will you update leaf articles according to new edition rules?

Yes we will, eventually, but we like to take some time to get acquainted with new books before writing anything, and a whole new edition takes more time than army books. We are all presently rather pressed for time as well, which will unfortunately delay updates even further.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

Ellisthion wrote:I'm amazed that two hours after my post you folks managed three answer in three minutes. Synchonised watches or something? :-D
I'm surprised it took them that long...

The LEAF people are also the ones with several other side-projects whether they're to do with the site or not.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

And some of us get mail notifications, as well as sms notifications when there's a new topic in one of our bookmarked forums :)

~ Naggie
Puutarhatonttu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Puutarhatonttu »

Beithir Seun wrote:Yes we will, eventually, but we like to take some time to get acquainted with new books before writing anything, and a whole new edition takes more time than army books. We are all presently rather pressed for time as well, which will unfortunately delay updates even further.
Maybe you shouldn't hurry with them at all, assuming that the new army book will be coming within 6-12 mont spectrum? Or is this too wishful thinking...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

6 months is wishful thinking. 12 months is still rather optimistic.

The next book is most likely O&G in early 2011. After that Tomb Kings are most likely, probably followed by Ogre Kingdoms. Really, the only books that are confirmed are O&G and Tomb Kings - after that, we just don't know. I think we would be lucky to see a new book in 2011, but if we don't then we should see something early-ish 2012.
Puutarhatonttu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Puutarhatonttu »

Beithir Seun wrote:6 months is wishful thinking. 12 months is still rather optimistic.

The next book is most likely O&G in early 2011. After that Tomb Kings are most likely, probably followed by Ogre Kingdoms. Really, the only books that are confirmed are O&G and Tomb Kings - after that, we just don't know. I think we would be lucky to see a new book in 2011, but if we don't then we should see something early-ish 2012.
Really?? God damn, GW is really trying its best to desert me! Playing 7th, I thought "Hmm, these war machines are too powerful, and skirmishers too weak... Wish they would change things in the 8th." Oh, the tragedy...

Seriously, our book is over a year older than O&G - GW:s little munchkin - and our army considered by most people definately among the weakest if not the weakest. Which is not the case with O&G, who are not stripped from their whole arsenal. Tomb kings' situation is probably more acute than ours, yes, but I think Ogres do better than us even though their book is older.

So GW, hear me out: the order of the new books should be as follows: Tomb kings > Wood elves > Ogre kingdoms > Orcs&Goblins (if you wanna carress your precious little baby, even though there are older and more needed books out there).

I don't envy Beastmen players either - their army is considered one of the weakest, and they're not gonna see a new army book in another five or ten years...

But this maybe starts to be subject of another discussion already.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

It is a discussion for another topic (and it's one that's been had over and over...) but Wood Elves are not really that desperate for a new book, even with 8th Edition rules. Ogres have never been competitive, and they've only had one book ever. Tomb Kings are only slightly more competitive than Ogres, and their book is 3 years older than ours. O&G have never been that competitive either.

Ultimately, the only reason Wood Elves are not as competitive as they were is because of the likes of Vampire Counts, Daemons, Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos (incidentally, all published in 2008 - see a trend?) and even then it was not because Wood Elves became less competitive, but because these four books were more competitive. 8th Edition certainly hits Wood Elves the hardest, but that doesn't make them the weakest army - it simply means that we need to find a different way of playing them.

In short Tomb Kings, Ogres, O&G and Bretonnians all need a new book more than us I think. Of course, I won't complain if we get ours sooner, but I think we can survive for twelve more months.
Puutarhatonttu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Puutarhatonttu »

Ok, I'll try to calm down :). I'm not very familiar with the other armybooks, I have mainly read Warseer, where most people rank WE in the bottom. Maybe they just don't know what we have in mind for them :).

(Nevertheless, I'm still sad for Waywatchers... But I'll shut up now :))
Brassorbs
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf, Dwarf. Ogre Kingdoms, Tyranids, Orks

Post by Brassorbs »

As it's likely to be 12months+ before we see a new army book and the nu rules hav been out for a while now, it'd be nice to see edited versions of LEAF articles for this version while we wait.
We all bitch about how long it takes GW to bring out our books, but when its something we can do ourselves, we're not stepping up to the plate. We've had 5 months now, let's get it sorted.
I'd volunteer my services, but I've really only had about 6 games wi WE in this ed. Having to turn to my Dwarf forces to try and get some results, most of my games have been with them. So far been massacred 3x, 1 loss but kicked butt (watchtower) and 2 massacres. Still refusing to play the eternal guard bunker but thinking of trying it.
Too many of the forum articles shift off-topic b4 they give me any answers, I need new LEAF articles.
Pls help.
Shankey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Goblins

Post by Shankey »

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

We will update the LEAF but, much as I'd like it to be, it is not something that we can do overnight or even in 5 months. The LEAF Writers are not superhuman, nor do we have infinite time on our hands with nothing better to do (I wish!).

In the meantime, we have a whole forum available to discuss whatever tactics, strategy or army selection you want - make use of it. The LEAF articles really only collate information and discussion that is already readily available on the forums. The LEAF will be updated, but we rely on you guys to share your experiences and discussion on the forums.