The Search Function?

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Viper
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodsies, Greenskins, Beastmen.

The Search Function?

Post by Viper »

I don't know if it is just me doing something wrong, and being kinda new that's certainly a possiblity, but pretty much any time I try and use the search function most of the words in the english language seem to result in:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:"

I know it is probably an automatic feature to stop it searching for words like "too" and "and" which someone might put into a search but not really care about, but it seems to stop nearly everything I search for in any area of the boards.
Dragons, Wardancers, Wild, and Riders are just a few words I've searched for recently and had the above message, even when trying to only search in The Meadow of Arts for example.

I know it's a pretty minor thing but a search function that doesn't let you search is a little irritating as having to go through every page looking for a particular topic can be.
:confused:

(And naturally I couldn't search to see if someone had already brought this up because "search" was too common a word)
:roll: :D
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Re: The Search Function?

Post by Naggie »

At the moment, I have a searchword threshhold of 3%, which means that words which are in more than 3% of all posts are considered too common and ignored in a search. I could increase this to 5% which would allow for more "common" words to be considered, but I'm reluctant to do that.

At the moment, we have:

Code: Select all

Total number of indexed words:  	128163  	Total number of word to post relations indexed:  	3879357
That may not seem a lot (only 4 million relations?), but I then ask you to remember that the search wordmatch table in our database stands for roughly 80% of the total database size. So all the skins, members, settings for each and every member, post contents etc put together is still only one quarter of the search wordmatch size. Making changes here will increase the database size a lot, and will take a pretty long while to re-compile. But I'll see what I can do to get more words into our search index.

~ Naggie
Viper
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Viper »

I was really just curious more than anything else, if having to search manually through the forums to find something was the only trouble I had to face in life then I would be too happy to care and if it wasn't then I've got better things to worry about. :)

By all means I would much rather have a working site with an over-zealous search filter than a buggered site. :D
almundis
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Tomb kings, Dark elves, daemonhunters, Wood elves.

Post by almundis »

honestly I find that most search functions on forums don't work too well, having never found the actual thread i have been looking for (same goes for Ogre stronghold and D.net). Seems that manual is the best way to find what your after.

Auros Helyanwé
Weapons: 2x hand weapons, longbow, Light Armour
Character stats: M WS BS S T W I A Ld
------------------ 5 5 5 3 3 1 5 3 8
Viper
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Viper »

That's true. I rarely bother using search, like I said it's pretty much only if I'm searching Art areas of a forum if I've got a specific creature or unit I'm wanting some inspiration for. :smirk:
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Viper wrote:That's true. I rarely bother using search, like I said it's pretty much only if I'm searching Art areas of a forum if I've got a specific creature or unit I'm wanting some inspiration for. :smirk:
Hopefully, you won't be needing the serach in the future. The LEAF articles should be the first place to look. But unfortunately, we don't have enough people willing to write inspirational articles on how they have painted their stuff.

~ Naggie
Viper
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Viper »

Well if I pull my finger out and start painting things again...and manage to get a half decent camera I'll try to help with that.
I'm not great but when I put my mind to a model it doesn't usually turn out half bad if I do say so myself. :)