Help! Pictures and links...

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Help! Pictures and links...

Post by Herald »

I'm no computer wiz, and there is two things I haven't figured out how to do on this site:

- When I insert pictures into a post, I only get these small "thumbnail" pics, that you have to upload. How can I get them in a viewable size directly in the post, as I see others have done?

- And how do I put up a link to another post?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out (and so would the readers of my posts, I'm sure...)

:crazy:
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Re: Help! Pictures and links...

Post by Naggie »

Herald wrote:- When I insert pictures into a post, I only get these small "thumbnail" pics, that you have to upload. How can I get them in a viewable size directly in the post, as I see others have done?
You don't, simply put. having images shown directly will cause severe loading times for those unfortunate enough to visit with a dial-up modem. The thumbnail makes sure people who do not wish to see the big images does not have to.
The second, and most important in my point of view, is that thumb nails do not break the site layout. Wide images do not stretch the site and cause all kinds of odd things. Having the image in a thumbnail format makes sure the site looks clean and structured.
- And how do I put up a link to another post?
You simply put in the link in the post :) A link to our index page would simply be: http://www.asrai.org/index.php (quote this message to see how I wrote it - I did nothing special). If you want a text link, you can enclose it with the [url] tags. More info about that can be found in the BBCodes FAQ, found here:
http://www.asrai.org/faq.php?mode=bbcode

~ Nag
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

photobucket link in
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Mist Walker wrote:photobucket link in
... will load slower, break the layout, and possibly not be accepted by the software.

~ Nag
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Thanks, guys! Not having heard of a BBCode before in my life, I wouldn't have found even if I knew where to look (although it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out... FAQ! :p )

Now, let's see if it works. The following should link to my painting-blogg:

Herald's wood elves

Whoopee! :D

About pictures: If I skimmed the FAQ correctly, to get the pictures directly in my post, I need to have them available elsewhere on the web (like photobucket)? Which I don't. And the thumbnails generally being the best solution anyway, I'll stick with that. It looks neat with a bit bigger pics in the post, but with thumbnails, people can choose to see "the BIGGER picture" (lol). All right then, and thanks again. Next time I'll check the FAQ thoroughly before nagging Nag... :roll:
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

No worries about nagging Nag. That's what I'm here for :)
And I am in the process of re-writing the FAQ answers to fit the site.

And I'm fairly sure you've used BBCode before. And finding that FAQ isn't too hard either :)
Just hit the link
Just hit the link
~ Nag