Munjeni - Tale of X Gamers

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Munjeni - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Munjeni »

With exams finally out of the way, I can take some time to start this challenge.

The army list is still ways from being done, but these will be the main models I'm painting.

11 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
3 Treekin
5 Wild Riders
1 Wild Rider Noble
1 Alter Noble

5 Waywatchers

Models in Army: 42
Total Army Cost: 997

Fluff and background will hopefully come along as I paint these guys.

I've started work on the first batch of dryads, I'll put up pictures in a few days, whyn my camera gets here.
Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Munjeni - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Munjeni »

About time for an update, right?

I've spent the last month on vacation. No phone, no internetz, I even managed to forget my camera.
I did manage to finish one batch of dryads prime another, convert a ton of branches into 3 treekin and paint 2 of them and start a few centaur conversions.

This is how they all started. A base, some wire and a lot of superglue.
DSC_0159 by Munjeni, on Flickr
I realized quite late that I was missing a 40x40 base for him, so I glued together some spare 20x20 bases. Could use a bit of green stuff...

A bit of paint, some lichen from the hobby store, and a bit of flock later:
DSC_0162 by Munjeni, on Flickr
The one on the right is missing a layer of flock and a bit of drybrushing.
They line up quite nicely in this configuration.

For the Wild Riders, I decided to do the centaur conversion. Here they are in various stages of completion:
DSC_0168 by Munjeni, on Flickr
DSC_0170 by Munjeni, on Flickr
DSC_0171 by Munjeni, on Flickr
The last one is a Reaper Chiron. He is a bit smaller. I think I'll give him a bit more rocks/trees/stuff on the base to compensate.

The dryads came in 2 batches, the first is already finished:
DSC_0164 by Munjeni, on Flickr
DSC_0163 by Munjeni, on Flickr
Bases magnetised for transport (I got an a3 magnetised rubber sheet a while ago, still haven't used it up), a bit of lichen and flock to pull it all together.

The second batch needs more work, but they are coming along nicely. I have a third batch primed up and waiting.
DSC_0165 by Munjeni, on Flickr
DSC_0166 by Munjeni, on Flickr
Will probably trim down the last one, not sure yet.

Here they are all together:
DSC_0173 by Munjeni, on Flickr

Also, the tin is AMAZING for transport, if a bit silly. All of them fit quite nicely in there (apart from the spears, I'll probably magnetise them, or get a bigger tin).

I just hope I'll have enough time to finish all of them up before the deadline.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Coming along nicely this... Keep it up. Only one month left
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munjeni »

I've managed to finish all the greenstuff work on the centaurs. Now there are 5 of them, along with Chiron, their Reaper buddy whom I'll use as a noble. I've started painting 2 of them, 4 are waiting for the rain to stop falling outside so I can prime them.
The main colors are blocked out on the BSB (just couldn't resist painting her up when she arrived) and the alter noble, I'll probably finish them this weekend.

I've also finished converting the last treekin, he's waiting for his coat of primer as well.
Pictures coming soon(TM)
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Eldar, maybe some more when I get the money

Post by beno »

I really like the idea and execution of the treekin. I think what I like best is that they're not as humanoid as others making them more creepy/otherworldly. They have no heads/faces and their arms and legs seem more like a convenient way of thwacking stuff rather than a standard configuration of limbs; like a shambling conglomeration of brambles.
Artisans-Workshop Miniature Painting
Loads of painting and model type stuff, including commission work
Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munjeni »

I got a few freelance commisions with very tight deadlines last week, so I couldn't paint up anything. Still, this challenge got me working on my force again, and I think I'll actually be able to finish them up soon.

I finished:
1 Standard bearer painted, sans standard and sword, waiting for some new metallics
5 Centaurs modeled, fixed up and primed.
5 Treekin (got a bit carried away there, I'll probably push it up to 6)
8 Dryads finished
8 Dryads assembled and basecoated.

I'm uploading some photos right now.
Also, I started stripping off the legs and tack from an IoB Griffon. That conversion should keep me busy for a while

@beno
Thanks! I was hoping they would pass off as creepy and aggressive shrubberies.
Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munjeni »

All together, with flash.
DSC_0165 by Munjeni, on Flickr

And here they are with the BSB and my old archers.
DSC_0167 by Munjeni, on Flickr
Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munjeni »

After another day of training, the young dancers would sit around the bluish faerie flames, waiting to hear a story from the old sage. His tales were always wise, though many of them would not understand it for decades to come.

"Master, tell us how the Hunters come to be." Cried one of the younglings around the flames. His call was repeated by several other elves gathered around the camp, hoping to learn from the elder.

The old elf lifted his gaze upon the child, even though no mortal would know it, eyeing him with a faint curiosity. "Well", he said, "I guess that is a tale as good as any.
I presume that each of you knows the tales of the Moonstones. Can you tell me about them?"

"They are shards of frozen moonlight." said one of the young ones. "The Seers use them to open the Old Ways" cried another. "They are a gift from the Moon herself" said a third voice.

"You are all correct, children, but there is so much more to them." The old elf reached into his robes and produced a pale blue shard, smaller than the palm of his hand.
"The shards are indeed a gift from the sky, for out of the sky they fall. Finding one of them is an act of fate, and they are among our most precious possessions. The sages draw wisdom and power from them, but anyone with a strong enough will can use them to open a path.
Moonlight shines upon every wild place and to the moon, they are all one. Do not decieve yourselves, though. The heavens themselves choose our destination. The shards send us where we are needed, not where we want to go.
One fascinating thing about them is how they truly work. Have you ever wondered why none of you were allowed to use the paths yet?"
There was a slight murmur of consent among the listeners. They spend the better part of the last three months hiking to get this secluded place, while the master simply appeared out of this air behind them. Some of them were quite eager to try it out, not that they would admit it to the proud old elf.

"The truth is that your wills are not yet strong enough to survive unscathed. Even some of our masters are wary of the moons paths. It takes an extraordinary will to come out the same as you were. We are still shaping you for your path of the Dance.
While traveling the hidden paths, the most important thing is to keep yourself in your mind. The stones magic does not simply transport you to another place. It sends your will and dissolves your body. If you cannot imagine yourself perfectly, you will not come out the same. There are stories of elves that traveled burdened with scars they loathed. Some arrived as they were before their decisive battle. Some arrived more disfigured than ever. Some hated the sight of their scars so much that they could not bear to think of their limbs. They arrived without them."

"Are all of those stories true, master?"

The old sage smiled "Perhaps they are."
You never could get a straight answer from him.

"You asked about the kindred of Hanoith. Let me tell you about Chiron and his brothers.

Chiron was a human, of all things. The only human ever accepted into our society and called brother. This was in the times when our "noble" neighbours were still in touch with the forest, when we had their respect and awe, not just their fear. He was one of the most talented riders I had ever seen. He needed no bit and tack, he would use no saddle. Even though his horse was not even close to ours, he could outride most of our young elves easily. His mind was unique, as well. Not many beings can hunt so single-mindedly as he could, nor for so long. I still recall the first time I met him. He was chasing a stag that led him deep into our woods. We managed to surprise him and knock him down from his horse. Much to our surprise, he was not afraid, only angry at us for interrupting his hunt. He was tracking the beast for a fortnight and he was now close to it. That was not the only surprise he had in store for us.
We were curious, so we gave him a challenge. One of our hunters would go after the stag as well. If Chiron got to the stag first, he would be set free. If not, he was ours to to do with as we pleased. We even gave him one of our horses, to make the hunt more sporting.
He beat our riders by miles. He got to keep the horse."

The young elves listened, fascinated with this tale.

The sage continued:
"Years passed, and we would see him enter the forest from time to time. We were quite impressed and even fond of him, so we let him hunt as he pleased. That changed one summer when he lost track of time, again. He spent several weeks tracking his pray through the hidden glens of Athel Loren, mindless of the time or of the day when our lord Orion met him.
It was Midsummer's Eve, and our Lord was on his hunt. His host ran through the woods, all living things either joining them or shying away from the splendour of the hunt. All but Chiron, who was apparently surprised when his quarry bolted and fled for its life. He rode in pursuit of the stag when he caught the attention of the Hunters who brought him to the attention of our Lord. Orion himself started running for the stag Chiron was hunting.
Miles passed beneath their hooves, night gave way to day and back again, when the stag collapsed from exhaustion and Chiron reached him at the same moment as Orion. When he lifted his gaze away from his pray for the first time in weeks he saw the green face of Orion grinning at him. "A fine chase you gave it, mortal. A fine chase indeed..."
Chiron was speechless. He was gazing into the personification of his life's calling. He gazed into the eyes of the Lord of the Hunt, and the lord laughed.
Orion then put his hand upon Chiron's head and blessed the mortal. "From now on, you shall hunt with us." he said, and Chiron obeyed. He spent his summers riding with the Hunters of Orion, never sleeping, never resting. Orions blessing stopped them from aging and gave them a chance to do what Chiron could only dream of doing as a mortal. He could spend eternity in the joy of the hunt.

As it happens with some men and elves alike, after years passed he could not think of himself and his horse as separate beings. He did not think of turning the horse left. He turned left. They could feel each others emotions, thoughts, they shared instincts, they shared the ecstasy of the hunt, they shared the joy of the kill. They were not the first of Orions chosen to change in that way, and they certainly will not be the last. They were one being. He was not alone in that. Some of the elite Riders joined him in his eternal hunts and they came to think of themselves as Chiron's Pack.

That is when the shards played their part.

During the course of centuries, the Riders did much more than hunt beasts in the confines of the forest. Whenever and wherever would foes enter the sacred glades, the Hunters were on their trail. They moved through the woods and they moved through the trees, they moved through the shadows and they moved through the light, appearing where the moon sent them and where the forests needed them. And they rode, and they killed the foes of Athel Loren. And they changed.

The horses trusted their riders' eyes and ears, and the riders trusted their horses' hooves. When they traveled through the hidden paths, they truly became one being."

"So that is why they cannot speak to us?" asked one of the young ones.

The master raised an eyebrow:
"Cannot? They simply do not find it necessary, my child. To them, words are a waste of time.
Now get some rest, children. You have a long day tomorrow.
With a wave of his hand, the faerie fires around the camp dimmed, and this nights' tale was over.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

I really like the Dryads, e.g. DSC_0166, nicely done.

The Treekin are well done and a nice idea, but to me are too ... um ... "lithe" ?! ... for Treekin. Treekin should swing a nice punch and those are a bit on the filigrane side, I think. ;)

Still, definitely :
:thumbsup:
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Nice army! I like the Dryads and Centaurs, and the Treekin variant is interesting. They may be as Turin says, a little weak looking for a S5 T5 creature, but they definitely look more like branches come to life than GW's Tree-humanoid thingies. :)
Munjeni
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munjeni »

Thanks for the nice comments. I was trying to get that overgrown, lithe feeling with the treekin, and when you see them next to the dryads and puny elves, they look like they might actually pack a wallop. They are by no means as tough-looking as the treeman or the original GW treekin, but I kind of like them this way. They seem creepy and otherwordly, especially all together.

I think I'll keep posting updates here if nobody has any issues with it. The army is slowly coming together, and winter is coming (khm) here so that means more time for the hobby.