Beno's Crusade Marches to War. X Gamers' 1k list, finished!

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Eldar, maybe some more when I get the money

Re: Beno's Crusade Marches to War. X Gamers' 1k list, finish

Post by beno »

Thanks Bardaah, really glad you like it!

As said before I'm definitely continuing the army updates here at Asrai, but also over at Warhammer Empire forums, since it fits nicely into that category. Also got a new plan for a woody army list so I'm gonna be building that in the coming months too so plenty of wonderful painting,modelling and other creative stuff to keep you all amused and hopefully inspired :D
Artisans-Workshop Miniature Painting
Loads of painting and model type stuff, including commission work
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

This is definitely one hell of a painting job.
Very detailed, very crisp and it features Minis from Germany ... !
I like the Warpriest very much, the facial expression was painted wonderfully. :eek:

What I personally don't like is the gritty "Reality" style with the very toned down colours, but that is a question of taste, not workmanship.

So, Congratulation to a really, really good looking army - Respect ! :thumbsup:
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner

Post by beno »

Thanks Turin, much appreciated - and yeah the German minis are cool :nod:

I guess the 'gritty' style isn't to everyone's' taste but I thought it'd make a nice change from the usual "loads of bright colours" that you get with many Empire/Breton armies. Had this idea that after a few months/years out on a campaign their clothes would start to get a little faded and worn but didn't want to cover them in soot and mud, they at least look after themselves!

Everyone seems to go bonkers about the Warpriest! I've been updating as I go over at Warhammer Empire, since its relevant and its certainly had an impact there as well :D
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I like this army!

The gritty and dark colour scheme fits perfectly with a band of mercenaries, and I like the story. I look forward to seeing this army grow. :)
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

AWESOMO 2000.
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

Really like the way you paint metals, especially the gold. Also the white flowers are super cool!
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner

Post by beno »

hey, thanks guys!

Tuhis, for the steel I use 1:1 Vallejo's oily steel and black, then 3:1 oily steel and GW chainmail, with some final highlights with 1:1 chainmail and mithril. To add more texture I give it some thinned coats of Vallejo Smokey ink and sometimes a little blue or black here and there before and after highlighting, depending on how I feel.

The gold is really simple! Mix 2:2:0.5 tin bitz, Vallejo Panzer brown and black for the basecoat. Then 1:1 tin bitz and burnished gold adding more and more burnished gold to the mix for highlighting. I avoid using dwarf bronze or shining gold because they make the metal too orange or too yellow - which doesn't look much like gold to me.

Sometimes I'll add a little Vallejo metal medium for some really bright highlights on metals, but don't think I went this far on any of this army - wanted to keep them looking battle worn.

The white and yellow flowers are Army Painter's 'meadow flowers' tufts - adds some lovely variation to the normal grass/stone/mud base and very easy to use. The red strawberry/flower clumps are an autumn flock from Gale Force Nine (i think). I take the piece of plastic wrapper that you get from green-stuff and put some spots of superglue on it, then with tweezers drop a little of the flock on it and let the glue set. It peels easily off the plastic and I can then stick the clumps down - again, very simple!

I have been working away at more stuff for this army, but with other painting commitments on the table I've not been working very fast. However I will try to get some photos of the infantry units today, and update you all with 30 or so halberdiers and 18 swordsmen, plus some character models :sexy:
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

Whoa! I want a mounted Empire army now :D But I doubt mine would look nearly as nice as yours!!! haha
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner

Post by beno »

thanks sunshine - glad you like 'em! Go on, build the army, you know you want a bit of the horse lovin'!

For future reference, since I forgot to add it before, I have been continuing the developement of the crusade over on the main 'Meadow of Arts' sub-forum in this thread http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23029 alongside some of my other painting projects(like real life wood elves!) If you want to see more sharpened steel, embattled soldiers, enraged heroes and lots and lots of pointy sticks (maybe a few guns for good measure too) then you know where to go :D