Deepwood Rangers from the future! (Tale of X Gamers)

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Deepwood Rangers from the future! (Tale of X Gamers)

Post by Tuhis »

The Deepwood Rangers

It has been over 2000 years since goblins and gnoblars allied and enslaved the orc and ogre population. Their alliance has grown stronger and stronger ever since they started training their captives to fight for them. Today together with some small snotling tribes they rule the known world, or at least the most of it, some remote places are still too far away for their tiny feet. Places such as the frozen mountain range in the north, the central areas of the Lustrian jungle, some high towers in Ulthuan and the deepest forests of Athel Loren. Yes, even the mighty Athel Loren has fallen in the hands of goblins, gnoblars and snotlings.

The forest of Loren was the last place they conquered. They entered the forest countless of times with clubs and torches before they realized it couldn't be invaded with brute force. It would take brains to get in alive, and the brain count was quite low among the little green men. But there was one wise goblin, the oldest of them all, and also the tiniest. Fortunately the only size that mattered was of his brain, and it was big. Together with the gnoblar elder he created a cunning plan to get hold of Athel Loren once and for all. They knew the forest was a living thing of its own and if they could turn it against the elves, they'd only need to stand by and watch them fight each other.

The Green Alliance, as they called themselves, finally had a plan. They launched their biggest assault yet to Athel Loren, hoping that the high priestess would show herself. And of course she did. With some wicked mushrooms and nasty spells the goblin shamans cursed her blood and mind, causing lots of disturbance in the forest and making it mad. The Green Alliance had to retreat, but so had the elves, only they had nowhere to run with the forest attacking them on the other side and the green horde on the other. Every spellweaver alive was summoned to the pools of Crystal Mere to calm the forest, but their power would soon run out if nothing was done to restore the peace inside the woods. The goblins, gnoblars and snotlings only had to wait and they soon would have the forest...

The elven high council gathered together to decide what to do. There was not much time until the forest went mad again and their options were low. Summoning Orion or any other god for that matter was out of question since it was not guaranteed they would be friendly. After a short while they came to a conclusion; they would have to brake the ancient laws and do the one last thing that could be done. They would have to contact Tuhis the Mighty and his Rangers. A lot easier said than done since the Rangers live inside the hidden paths. Normally you could just open a path and chant it to connect to other paths, eventually hitting the right one, but now the forest being so unstable the only way was to travel to the deepest glades in the deepest parts of the Deepwood.

Five highborns were chosen for this quest for hidden paths. They travelled deeper and deeper into the woods, so deep that they actually came out of the forest and had to turn back. When they finally found the place where no light could enter, they new they were there. The heart of the Deepwood. They could not see anything but they sensed someone's presence. The highborns could hear them, the Rangers, weird people able to use the paths to travel back and forth in time and place, and now they had to make a deal with them. Good thing was that they were no longer in a hurry, because they were practically inside the hidden paths where time loses its meaning.

After hours of negotiating with the Rangers' leader, the highborns finally got what they wanted: Tuhis would take his finest men and travel back in time to stop the whole goblin and gnoblar alliance. In exchange he would be given full leadership of the whole Deepwood once Athel Loren was restored to normal. So the Rangers went and returned in an instant, all while the highborns exited the Deepwood with a small grin on their face.

Tuhis didn't realize he was fooled once again. At the very moment when he destroyed the goblin rebels in the past, the future was changed to a better one. The Green Alliance was never formed and Athel Loren never invaded. The highborns did not travel to the Deepwood and did not make the deal with the Rangers. You would think this means that the Rangers never left and thus never changed the past, creating a paradox, but that would get way too complicated. The Rangers have lived in the hidden paths for thousands of years, they were there even before any other elf had stepped to the forest of Loren. They aren't restricted by time and space like other mortals, and therefore are not affected by anything that follows from time travel. Living inside the paths has it advantages and disadvantages, you can save the world and get nothing in return. But the Rangers are used to that. They have saved the world many times before and will continue doing so in the future (and the past)!

THE RANGERS
  • Tuhis the Mighty (Wood Elf Noble)
    -Wild Rider Kindred
    -An Annoyance of Netlings
    -Ruby Ring of Ruin
    -Anne the Elk (Elven Steed)
  • Glade Guard (14)
    -Musician
    -Standard Bearer
  • Dryads (8)
  • Tree Kin (3)
  • Wild Riders (5)
    -Musician
  • Waywatchers (5)
  • Great Eagle
  • Awesome Eagle
999 pts.
Last edited by Tuhis on 19 Jun 2012, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Re: Deepwood Rangers from the future! (Tale of X Gamers)

Post by Git »

Tuhis wrote:[...]Anne the Elk [..]Awesome Eagle[...]
You know how to get the expectations up, Tuhis! And being a proud owner of a model you've painted (last summer's mini exchange, for any who wonder) I seriously look forward to following this project.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

no magic defence? Could get scary. Kudos on great eagle followed by awesome eagle. I know who I'm rooting for. :-D
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

Haha thanks guys! Magic defence is for pussies, I don't need such thing. ;) Seriously though at this point level I don't see the benefit of getting a wizard. I could spam tree singing and get +2 to dispel rolls but yeah, that's it. With the wild rider hero I can spam the ruby ring till I miscast and make the wild riders a bit more dangerous. And a lord level wizard is out of question, too many points. Characters don't win the small games, it's the units and how they work together. Or that's how I want to believe.

Anyway, here be some pics! I got my army background story almost done, just need to check a few things before I edit it to the first post. I even included an evil goblin shaman just for you Git. :nod:

First up, Tuhis and his riders! They still need alot of brown stuff.

The Waywatchers. The one in the middle used to be finished but isn't anymore. They need alot of colour.

Dryads. Gonna use the good old metal fellows as the base for conversions. I also got some old one pose archers as a plan B if I fail with my glade guard.

Tree Kin. I got no real plans for these, I'm just going to keep adding some green stuff until they look cool.

The Eagles. The one with the cool cap is the Awesome one.

And finally my Glade Guard. I have made two test models in the past which both failed, and now I'm unsure whether they should have cloaks or not. We'll see what's going to happen.
OzAsrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by OzAsrai »

i nearly p*ssd my pants. this is gonna look sa-weet
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

Thanks OzAsrai! I just updated the army background in the first post. Phew. Sorry it's such a cliche children's bedtime story, but that's the best I can do. :D Now that it's done I have time to concentrate in the modelling and painting part of this challenge.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Great background! It really fits the theme in the Wood Elf army, with the elves and forest spirits being more interdependent allies than friends. The Rangers can easily be a third such party. :)
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

Thanks Git! I'm glad you like it. :nod:
BreasticleeS
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau Empire

Post by BreasticleeS »

THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

Vacation's over, time to sculpt and paint!
BreasticleeS wrote:THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!
WHY THANK YOU!!! :lol:

Here, have a small update!

The dryads have been stripped from paint and most of them have their legs and arms bent to make them less static.

Tree Kin are forming little by little.

And I have managed to make four glade guard bodies with extended legs and waists! Only 10 more to go...

Also the eagles are primed and wild riders are finally ready for paint, a test model is on its way already!
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

This looks real darn busy and very professional, especially the waywatchers, with a chance to win it.
But nothing is finished and life seems to have crept up to Tuhis, as it does often enough for me, since late July.

I'd really be interested in seeing those Waywatchers finished and painted. Really ! :nod: :nod: :nod:

So : :thumbsup:
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

Haa thanks Turin. :nod: I've had alot happening here in real life, moved to a new town and started studying for a change. Just took my minis out of the boxes a few weeks ago but haven't had any time to start painting any of them. I'll definitely finish the waywatchers eventually, and hopefully the other guys too. I'll update my new wood elves blog when I paint something so you'll find them there. :)

So yeah, this is as far as I got with this tale. Grats to those who managed to finish!
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I see what you did to treekin. Better... "how" you did your treekin. Man, I don't know if you are rich or not, but you are wasting a lot of green stuff which isn't cheap (by my standards). :lol: Here's a tip for you or anyone who uses too much of GS.

When build the skeleton of the model, first you need to make an armature. We all know that's made of wire. Then, if you are making bigger models, like treeman or dragon, which are bulky and fat, instead of wasting greenstuff use tin foil from your wife's or mother's kitchen. It's the cheapest possible way to fill in those gaps between the wires, and to make solid structure/skeleton/armature. If you are making smaller models, like human sized or for example treekin, use FIMO mass. Yes, Fimo. Make the structure/skeleton/armature out of it and bake it. Its far more cheaper than greenstuff and it needs only a couple of minutes to be ready (to be baked in an oven). You'll have nice and firm structure/skeleton/armature which is ready for applying greenstuff on it and making (fine) details.
Hope this helps! It worked for me, anyway.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Tuhis »

LoL of course Yuri, I'm stinkin' rich! :D Funnily enough the reason I even use green stuff at all is because I have too much of it. I ordered brown stuff and magic sculp last summer and they accidentally sent me 90 centimeters of green stuff instead of the magic sculp. I contacted them and they were sorry and said I could keep the green stuff. So yeah, I got to use it somehow while it's still good. I admit I could have done the basic skeleton for the treekin with something cheaper, but then again I should have first bought something cheaper, which then wouldn't have been cheaper than the free green stuff I already had. ;)

I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall Fimo becomes rock hard and it doesn't bend after hardened in the oven. The advantage green stuff has is that when used in a thin layer you can alter the pose of the skeleton even after the stuff has dried.

That tin foil trick's a good one, gotta try someday. How well do sculpting putties stick to it?