Clan Rictus - Tale of X Gamers

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Clan Rictus - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Beithir Seun »

Let's get this party started then! This will be my thread for my Tale of X Gamers army, and I'll be continuing my Skaven. They're based on the Clan Rictus colour scheme in the Heraldry and Uniforms of the Skaven book, although the background for this army has them set up as more of a splinter-faction of Clan Rictus, led by my Warlord Queek Greyclaw.

The list I'll be building (more or less) is as follows:

Warlock Engineer ~ 138pts
- Lv.2, Doomrocket, Warplock Pistol

40 Clanrats ~ 290pts
- Full Command, Spears, Shields, Warpfire Thrower

40 Clanrats ~ 275pts
- Full Command, Spears, Shields, Ratling Gun

2 Rat Ogres ~ 88pts
- Packmaster

17 Giant Rats ~ 75pts
- 3 Packmasters

10 Poisoned Wind Globadiers ~ 130pts
- Bombadier with Death Globe

996pts

Pictures and background to follow!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: Clan Rictus - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Beithir Seun »

Some piccies of my minions then

Rat Ogres:

The Clanrats:

Weapon Teams:

Giant Rats:

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Tiny update - the conversion bits for my Globadiers arrived in the post, Nezumi Chem Heads from Micro Art Studio and Biohazard Backpacks from MaxMini. I'll get to work on those tomorrow

In other news, I also ordered a Screaming Bell from Wayland Games a couple of weeks ago and it turned up today (although the two parcels from Poland that were ordered a week later still arrived before it...). Anyway, it will be a nice little toy to put together (even though it's not for the Tale of Gamers!)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Once again, it's been a while since I posted. Even though, shockingly, I actually had stuff I could have posted life has played out like a comedy of errors as far as actually photographing any of this stuff is concerned. Long story short, it's taken me the best part of a month to get a working camera and my models in the same place at the same time in order to take pictures.

BUT!

I have lots (well, relatively speaking) of things to update you on!

First, as I mentioned in the last post, my Screaming Bell arrived from Wayland Games and, even though it's not for the Tale of X Gamers project (which should really be a priority at the moment), I couldn't resist breaking open the box and putting it together. It's a nice kit (although I'm still disappointed at the complete lack of extra parts to spice things up - you get the bare minimum to make a Bell or Furnace, and that's it. Not even the odd few rats thrown in, as there are on the Doomwheel...)

Anyway, it came together very quickly. It's not totally glued together; as you can see, I've left the bell section, the Seer, the brazier plus the Rat Ogre Bellringer as separate pieces, both for ease of painting and transportation purposes (I still haven't found anything big enough to carry it in pieces, let alone as a single model...)

As it's not for the Tale of X Gamers, the painting of the Screaming Bell will be put on the backburner until I have at least a decent portion of my ToXG army painted...

...which brings me nicely onto my next update - the Warlock Engineer conversion is more or less complete. I might possibly have gone a bit gung-ho on the Doomrocket; something a bit more understated may have been more appropriate, but I figured Skaven don't do subtlety!

Finally, I've been working away on the Globadiers. I plan on sculpting hands holding poisoned wind globes and then attaching these to the Clanrat right arms (or left, in the case of the Bombadier), which is why those are currently missing. In this regard, the giant monkey-like paws of the older Clanrats may work to my advantage, because it will mean my sculpting hopefully won't need to be too brilliant to get away with it.

You'll notice there are only nine Globadiers with torsos and heads at the moment. I took these with me when I went away for a couple of weeks, but somehow only managed to pack nine bodies (but still managed ten of everything else). I'm half convinced I managed to lose the tenth torso on the way, but the more likely explanation is that I simply can't count. Anywho, the last Globadier will join the ranks of his more bodily-endowed colleagues shortly.

Well, that's it until next time. Hopefully I'll find time to finish building the Globadiers in the next couple of weeks and then get the first unit of Clanrats properly under way. I'm aiming to get the Warlock, Globadiers and one unit of Clanrats (plus Weapon Team) finished by the beginning of August, which will then leave the other half of the army to finish before the beginning of September.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Coming together very nicely this... Good job.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Great to see more Skaven. :)

Is that a couple of good old model airplane bombs on the Doomrocket?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Thanks for the comments guys :)
Git wrote:Is that a couple of good old model airplane bombs on the Doomrocket?

Yes, yes it is :D From a Harrier Jump Jet to be precise, built when I was probably about 12 - the spare bombs/missiles have been in my bitz box ever since! Finally found a use for them :P
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Now I've got to scavenge my parents' house for old planes! I'm certain me and/or my brother has some unused bits somewhere. :D
ThaneWill
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Dwarves and Skaven

Post by ThaneWill »

Looks promising Beithir!

You only made one grave mistake, that is assembling the bell, I assure you you are going to have problems with that. :drool:
' Wood elves are not treehugging hippies!!!"

darkened fantasy, WHFB forum

Aka: (chaos) ThaneWill and Willqueek (for all members of other forums)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

ThaneWill wrote:You only made one grave mistake, that is assembling the bell, I assure you you are going to have problems with that. :drool:

Which part is it you think I'm going to have problems with Will?

I reckon with all the sub-assemblies, I should be OK. The only potentially tricky part I'm anticipating is the chassis/carriage, but being as that's mostly going to be wood effect with few details I reckon it'll be fine. I should perhaps point out that it's not glued to the base at all yet, if that's what you were worried about!

In other news, I've finally got round to assembling the final Globadier so they're all ready to start painting now. Meanwhile, I've been carrying on with the Clanrats and Rat Ogres. I'm hoping to get them finished by the end of next week.
ThaneWill
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Dwarves and Skaven

Post by ThaneWill »

Indeed, you will have problems with the wooden part, even though not on the base, there are quite some annoying beams here and there.
' Wood elves are not treehugging hippies!!!"

darkened fantasy, WHFB forum

Aka: (chaos) ThaneWill and Willqueek (for all members of other forums)