Dudds - Tale of X Gamers

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Dudds
Newcomer
Newcomer

Dudds - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Dudds »

So currently I'm thinking I'm more likely to do Beastmen but to be honest I'm still tempted to go with Wood Elves.
Either way I've listed what I'll be using whichever way it comes out in the end (see Edit). Let me know which you think would be more interesting, I'm up for doing either so a different perspective would be pretty useful :)

Beastmen - 996Pts

Great Bray-Shaman - 245
Lvl 3
Ironcurse Icon,
Talisman of Preservation

Wargor - 206
Battle Standard Bearer,
Gnarled Hide,
Heavy armour,
Shield,
The Beast Banner

Gor Herd - 217
Foe-render, Musician, Standard Bearer
24x Gor w/ AHW

Ungor Raiders - 25

Ungor Raiders - 25

Bestigor Herd - 273
Gouge-horn, Musician, Standard bearer,
19x Bestigor,
Standard of Discipline

EDIT: As it seems like I'm going with Beastmen I've removed the Wood Elf list.
Last edited by Dudds on 13 Jun 2012, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Re: Dudds - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Git »

I'll vote Beastmen, but the only reason for that is that it is one of the armies I know least about and would like to follow its creation. :)
Dudds
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dudds »

Beastmen it is then!

I've made a start but haven't yet thought about the fluff, I'm hoping to turn this into a larger army so gotta think about it a bit more. Should have some photos on here soon as I've started using some old Ungor Raiders I had as test models for the skin tone. Still not sure what colour to do the cloth, was going to go with the scheme in the codex but not so sure.
Dudds
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dudds »

Nothing major to update on, got a lot of the army put together now just need to do the BSB. Can't decide whether to go with a shield on his back or in his hand (potentially with the weapon as well).

Been messing around with skin tones on some of the Ungor to try and get a look that I like. Think I'm just going to go for something standard like the army book.

Calindor
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Calindor »

Those ungors looks really good, even if not all done. Great work. Always nice to see a beastmen player :)
Dudds
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dudds »

Been trying to put together my Wargor BSB, not had time to do much else lately.

I guess as some people don't know much about Beastmen I'll explain a bit about why I chose him for the army. With a fairly poor to average leadership a BSB was always going to be essential for my Beastmen. With HA, Shield, and the Gnarled Hide (which counts as a Gift and not a Magic Item) he gets a 2+ Save so there's a bit of survivability there as well as having generally good combat potential. With the Beast Banner he gives +1 Strength to his unit which makes a unit/horde of Gors even more efficient. You may hear Beastmen players refer to them as the '206' because it's the standard cost and load out of the BSB. I don't like to cookie cut net lists as it's more about how you play in most situations, but this is a solid choice so you'll see it a lot.

Here's a shot of what it looks like so far next to the Bestigor standard. He'll be in the group of Gors to make them strength 4 so hopefully his armour will stand out more than it would in a unit of Bestigors.

For his weapon I used the arm on the left with the weapon from the Bestigor champion on the right.

I also used the Minotaur standard as I think it stood our against the other sized standard in the army.

My Wargor has the 'Gnarled Hide' gift which basically means he's pretty tough skinned. To represent this I wanted to use one of the normal Gor heads with an eye patch as it looked more rugged and aged I guess. Let me know if you think I should go with it!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Bit of a belated comment, but I love what you've done for the BSB. Looks like a proper grizzled veteran beastie :D Great touch with the eye patch!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Yeah, the BSB is great! I like the other standard bearers too.
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

Wow, the skin tones are impressive, do you use (new/old) GW paints or someother compagnie?
Man I love the summer challenge, so much awesome stuff to see!
lockus
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Beastmen

Post by lockus »

Ungors raiders are skirmish.... a unit of 25 is going to have a huge movement tray. I am currently building a beastman army and was wondering if u mean to use regular Ungors.
Solving the worlds problems one beer at a time. It does not suck to be me.
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

lockus wrote:Ungors raiders are skirmish.... a unit of 25 is going to have a huge movement tray. I am currently building a beastman army and was wondering if u mean to use regular Ungors.
The number stated behind the unit are for points not unitsize ;).
beno
Tale of X Gamers Winner
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Eldar, maybe some more when I get the money

Post by beno »

Awww- go on, build 273 Bestigors - that'd look INSANE!!!

Nice paint work though and the character builds are looking sweet. I second that question about your skintones - what's your mix?
Artisans-Workshop Miniature Painting
Loads of painting and model type stuff, including commission work