Prince Sylvran's Avengers - POST TALE OF X GAMERS

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Rowena
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Prince Sylvran's Avengers - Tale of X Gamers

Post by Rowena »

Great stuff! I especially like the flame, where did you get the model?
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by The Forest Lord Daereth »

Thanks guys!

@Beithir Seun, I might be making progress now, but I most likely won't finish! :lol: My aim is just to paint as much as I can though.

@Git, I suppose that is the desired effect. ;)

@Rowena, the model is an alternate banner top for the phoenix guard. I used the other one though (phoenix statue) so that I could use the flame for the archers. :)
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Here are some parts from my stories of Elithmar (the parts where he meets Sylvran). Some parts may not make sense, and that's because they're taken from the middle of this.

Elithmar had finally decided that he had had enough, and that it was time to go back to Ulthuan. We set off then three days after the Seer had been left in the ice, by which time it looked rather grumpy and very dead.

Our route took us South, parallel to the ‘World’s Edge Mountains’, as the humans call them. We passed near to Athel Loren, but on the other side of the mountain range to the East of the forest. Here the prince gestured quite crudely in that direction and muttered something about Tirral’yon and doing fine without Nagarathi.

The plan was to use the Black Fire Pass and to then travel a short way to the coast of Tilea, where the fleet was moored. However, it was most certainly not going to be easy to execute. After all, it is only the most heavily guarded Dwarf pass in the entire world. Elithmar was confident though, so we had to follow.

It had taken almost sixty days to march from the shores of the Sea of Claws, through the Empire and to the Old Dwarf Road in the Southern Empire. From there we crossed the Upper Reik which, if you know your geography, is the complete wrong way. Well, that's what happens when you let Elithmar lead.

We camped for the night on the plain outside Karak Norn. Not the wisest idea, but we were far enough away. All seemed quite normal until morning, when we heard the blaring of elven horns. For a few minutes we all thought we were under attack and that we were being called to action. Soon we were all stood neatly to attention with our weapons and armour at the ready. However as it turned out the elven horns were not ours. It had been too dark to see the night before, but there seemed to be an elven fort some way between our own camp and Karak Norn in the distance. We could also just make out the shapes of a great many Dwarfs marching towards this fort!

Almost immediately we thought to rush out and help them. As the most senior officer present (Elithmar was still in bed), I ordered the advance out of the camp and on to the plain beyond, tasking three cohorts with staying and guarding our encampment.

As we hurried towards the fortification, about a mile away, I happened to notice the banner of these elves. The strange thing was, it was almost exactly like our own standard - the standard of Elithmar; the only difference was a few different runes.

We were there in little more than quarter of an hour - our long elven legs could carry us much faster than the dwarfs' stubby little limbs could, and therefore they were still a good half mile away. We slowed as we grew closer, cautious again. A few troops lined the battlements, but most must have been in the courtyard below.

A soldier called out to us, "Who is your lord, and state your business!"

I replied, saying, "A prince of Lothern, and we have come to aid you against the oncoming dwarf force."

"Fair enough. Gates - open!"

You may well wonder why he ordered the gates to open and not the guards to open the gates. If so, there is something you ought to know about elven architecture. That is that the walls and gates are enchanted by Mages: the walls to better defend them, and the gates to open by command.

So it was that a section of graceful, pure white wall previously thought to be solid opened up to reveal an opening, as if welcoming us inside. I was mildly surprised to see no troops in the courtyard beyond.
Perhaps, I thought, they are still in their barracks.

There to greet us was a finely dressed Asur, but perhaps not as fine-looking. Wrapped in a lush cloak made of pale, spotted fur, he greeted us, and he looked vaguely familiar to me. In fact, he looked more than vaguely familiar - he was the dead spit of Elithmar.

"Greetings. I thank you deeply for coming to our aid. I must ask though - which prince of Lothern is your commander; I myself am a prince of that city," said he.

"Our prince is Elithmar, son of Arnarion."

His expression was an unusual mix of shock, anger, and gladness. I continued:

"Do you know him?"

"Yes!" he exclaimed. "He is my brother!"
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

I was woken by someone outside making a terrible din. They were blowing some sort of horn - can't they be a bit more considerate? I just pulled the pillow over my head and made a mental note to punish whoever it was later.

I got up about half an hour later, dressed, breakfasted, and wondered where everyone else was. I could only see three cohorts of the infantry. I looked everywhere for the rest - under my bed, behind small leaves, and everywhere else imaginable, but they weren't there. I had to resort to asking one of the infantry, who told me they had gone off to some fort.

Quite annoyed that they had left me, I mounted my chariot and rushed off across the plain towards this fort. It certainly wasn't very smart - hardly worth building, I would have thought. I bet they didn't even have a picture of me in there.

When I arrived there was a large crowd of midgets outside, so I rode my chariot straight through them to the gates, which forced them to part their ranks; they looked rather disgruntled.

Upon reaching the entrance, I ordered the inhabitants to open the door, which they did after a short time, and rode straight inside, gates closing behind me.

Aldris was there already but before I could speak he had said, "Sir, how on Ulthuan did you manage to fight your way through those dwarfs out there?!"

"Umm...were they dwarfs?" I truthfully had no idea.

"Well of course! The troops are in awe that anyone could battle their way singlehandedly through an army that huge."

Now I might not have actually fought the dwarfs, but it would be bad for morale if I didn't accept praise for it, wouldn't it?

"Well, I am extremely wonderful, aren't I?"

Any further conversation was halted as a short, quite ugly (compared to myself) elf wrapped in a carpet came up to me and shouted, overjoyed (who wouldn't be to see me?), "Elithmar, my brother!"

I was fairly confused by this remark, and once I had managed to pull out of his hug, I said, "First of all, you may call me 'your highness', or 'lord' even. Secondly, I certainly don't remember ever having a brother."

The pretender scowled. "You probably don't even remember our father!"

"Wait a minute, I think I do remember you. Did you used to stay at home and sew whilst I went off to fight with dad?" I
did remember him. He was a real wuss. "What's your name?"

"Sylvran," he spat. "You really haven't changed, have you? You're just as pompous as ever! And stupid!"

I wasn't having any of that! I'm not stupid, am I? Therefore I walked right up to him and gave him a good punch, right to the face. He reeled and was going to have the cheek to retaliate if Aldris hadn't stepped in, saying,

"Gentlemen! Shouldn't we be fighting the dwarfs rather than each other?"

"Oh, alright then," I said.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Some proper progress:

Three archers.

I completed the first on Friday (the old one)

And the other two today.

The unit is looking like this now.

I'm going to work on the musician and two old archers this week, and the champion and the other two next week. Well, that's the plan, anyway...

Enjoy, and comment.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

One last part for today.

Wincing with pain, Sylvran stood on the battlements and looked out at the ranks of dwarfs; they were getting closer, almost within bow range. Luckily the great eagles and scouts had been able to destroy the dwarf war machines, so they were forced to advance right up to the walls to use their rams and towers.

He lifted his sword up, shining with the brightness of a sun. Elithmar did the same, sword shining with the brightness of
two suns. He winked at Sylvran. Sylvran scowled.

Then they brought down their swords and bellowed the command: "loose!" A storm of arrows was launched into the air, forming a dense cloud, which then rained down on the dwarfs, spearing many. Realising they were in range, they split into smaller units and formed a testudo formation.

However those carrying the rams could not also form a testudo, and so they were able to be picked off by the unerringly accurate elven archers.

The siege towers were not so easy to disable. They were steam powered, and encased in thick gromril armour. All the arrows bounced off without making so much as a scratch - even the bolts of the eagle claws did little more than dent the carapace.

Disciplined elven spearelves and swordelves marched into place on the walls, ready to hold back the hordes. Archers filed into place behind them, readying their longbows. Even Sylvran made his way to the front ranks, wanting to avenge his father's death. Elithmar reluctantly grabbed a longbow off an archer and went to the very back rank.

The huge war machines shuddered into place. There was a grinding of wheels from within. The drawbridge crashed down and hundreds of short, angry warriors poured over it.

The archers in the rear loosed their arrows, causing many dwarfs to fall. Then the elven spears braced themselves to receive the charge, impaling yet more enemies. Finally the swordelves advanced to the front ranks and began cutting their foes down.

Over to the right, where another tower had let down its drawbridge, the combined Phoenix Guards of both armies were steadily and methodically despatching the dwarfs before them. On the left the Chracian hunters were ferociously engaging their opponents.

The Asur had the upper hand, but there were so many dwarfs that they would eventually grind the elves down. Something had to be done. Elithmar saw this, but was reluctant to do anything. After all, aren’t the soldiers meant to do the fighting? Commanders should just...well, command! No one was doing anything about it though, and Elithmar
was just standing around looking gormless.

Fine, Elithmar thought. I suppose it’s up to me.

Dropping the borrowed longbow, he leaped of the wall (in a most stylish fashion), and ran across the courtyard, mounting his chariot. The driver was elsewhere so Elithmar himself took the reins. The guards opened the gates after only a little persuasion (they had seen him punch Sylvran), and he was off. He drove right through the ranks of dwarfs, as before, heading for the huge banners of the dwarf king.

Idiot, of course people are going to go and kill him if he has a banner like that, thought Elithmar, elaborate banner billowing proudly in the wind behind him.

When he finally reached the pompous idiot, trail of carnage stretching out behind him, he dismounted and challenged the dwarf to a duel (or at least gestured crudely at him). The dwarf took insult, and couldn’t resist accepting to maintain his pride.

Great sword in hand, the tall, slight elf closed the gap between them. The dwarf hefted his hammer up high, ready for action. They circled each other for only a minute – the elven prince was far too bellicose for waiting longer. He lunged straight for the dwarf’s (large) stomach, but the blow was parried. Immediately, as the young Asur was still regaining his balance, the dwarf threw his hammer down in a blow that would have crushed the elf’s fragile body. Elithmar just managed to dodge. They circled again, before Elithmar feinted right but actually went left, sneaking under his adversary’s guard to lop off his head.

That was all very well, and he felt elated, but he was surrounded by a whole army of irate dwarfs. Ah, bad planning. Of course, he had always loved tricks…

“What’s that over there?” he jumped into the chariot as the dwarfs looked to see ‘what that was over there’, hastily turning it around and speeding back to the fort.

However, dwarfs aren’t unruly greenskins and are not throw into confusion when their leader is killed, but rather fight all the more furiously. Failing that, they write it in a big book.

So that hadn’t worked, but everyone has a plan B, right? Elithmar casually pulled out one of the bolts from the base of the steam tower as he drove past into the fort. Luckily it happened to be a rather integral bolt, and the tower collapsed, as if in slow motion, dwarfs on top plummeting to their doom. A little cloud of dust rose around the wreckage.

Deciding it was probably best now to resort to the book, the dwarf army retreated. It was an orderly retreat until the elven cavalry galloped out of the gates, chasing down the survivors and turning the retreat into a rout.

Elithmar was hero of the day and, of course, Sylvran scowled.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

"What do you say to your big brother for saving you?"

"Thank you," through gritted teeth.

"Good. Now if you don't mind I'm going back to Ulthuan," Elithmar's tone of voice said that even if Sylvran had minded, he would still do it. "I'll take this army off your hands too."

"What?! How am
I going to get back without the army?"

Either Elithmar didn't hear, or he didn't care. In fact, he just didn't care. He simply strode away without looking back.

The army of Elithmar did indeed leave, along with Sylvran's small force. Sylvran tagged along too. Their journey took a few more weeks, through Black Fire Pass and Northern Tilea to the coast. They even arrived before the fleet, and so settled near a coastal settlement there.

A week passed without much happening, and then the fleet had arrived and the troops were loaded on to the ships. The dragonship,
Mathlann’s Pride, was at the head of the fleet, as usual, being as she was Elithmar’s flagship.

They were sailing past the coast of Araby when they encountered a hostile fleet. They were in fact Druchi corsair ships, presumably raiding the coast of Araby! Immediately the ships turned left to present a wall of repeater bolt throwers. The corsair ships were devastated; the engagement was quickly concluded.

However, what none of the Asur had noticed was that that was only a half of the fleet, and that the rest were now speeding towards them from the other side! Sea guards hurried across the decks carrying bolts for the eagle claws, but it was too late. The corsairs threw out ropes on to the decks of the Asur ships, swarming across to initiate combat.

The fighting was bitter, as it always is between elves. The opposing forces were balanced; the fighting kept tipping one way then the other. Amidst the raging mêlée, Elithmar stood. For the second time he thought,
It’s up to me, isn’t it? Sighing, he drew his great sword.

It’s a lot harder to get to the enemy leader on ships though. The thing is, there’s all that ruddy water between you. Still, he identified the flagship and tried to find a way to it. Running lithely across the boarding ropes and across hostile decks, the determined elf finally made it to the Druchi flagship,
Khaine’s Delight. However, there was no way across to this ship from the one on which he was standing. He was going to have to jump.

It was a long way to jump – probably ten yards or more. He walked back for a run up, punching a corsair as he did so. Then he began his run, gaining speed with every stride, and jumped! He soared through the air, above the crashing waves. It was then that he realised he wasn’t going to make it – too far away still. He was determined though (not so much to board the ship, but not to get wet). He leaned forward as far as he could, and he was there, even finishing off the jump with a stylish roll.

As he stood, he saw before him the enemy leader. He was a corsair himself, but much bigger than any of the others. He was at least a head taller than the tallest of them, and twice as broad; two wickedly sharp blades were held in his hands. He grinned at the Asur prince. Elithmar suddenly wished he was somewhere a
long way away.

He wasn't a long way away though, and he had to do something. He was now not only fighting for the fleet, but for his life. That was much more important than some flotilla. He raised his sword, hands shaking and sweat streaking down his forehead.

"Couldn't you just put the swords down?" asked Elithmar.

The reply came in the form of a thrust right for his heart, which he fortunately dodged.

"Okay then, shall we call it a draw?"

A downward strike to the neck. This time, he blocked with his sword, but his legs buckled under the strength of the blow.

"Fine, I lose. What's the worst that can happen, anyway?" When he saw the chains being brought towards him, he decided otherwise. "Maybe we can compromise - you let me go, and I set fire to your fleet?"

The captain grinned again as the manacles were attached. Elithmar noticed for the first time how darned ugly he was. His face was all slashed from a previous fight, with two huge, banana-shaped scars on his cheeks, which pulled up the corners of his mouth into a perpetual grin.

"By Asuryan, you're hideous, aren't you?" That earned Elithmar a punch to the face, much like the ones he usually delivered. It wasn't too nice on the receiving end.

With a prince of Ulthuan taken as prisoner, and a few ships captured, the Druchii disengaged and sailed off, back to Naggaroth.

They're taking the prince to Naggaroth!

I'm going to leave the story there, as Sylvran doesn't feature any more in it. Of course, you can follow Elithmar on Ulthuan. Hopefully a REAL update will be coming soon. ;)
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Right, ten archers done:

And the awesomeness of the tiger cloak ;) :

Here's how my first PG is coming on:

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Looking great! Lovely blue colour on the archers, and the brownish red on the PG makes me think of Roman legionnaires. Fitting for a that kind of unit...
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Baardah wrote:Looking great! Lovely blue colour on the archers, and the brownish red on the PG makes me think of Roman legionnaires. Fitting for a that kind of unit...
Thanks! Which blue do you mean though? The light or dark?

Roman legionaries? Never thought of that, but I suppose so. I do like the Romans, so thanks! :lol:
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Both the blue tones and the way they fit together
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Time to dust off this blog.

I've decided to go with traditional Caledorian colours for my Dragon Princes now, and I think it looks good. Much better, in fact!

Lions are looking good.

My best (and favourite) WL and in fact model so far was the first one I did:

I'm having trouble with the axes on the lions. I do chainmail, badab black, mithril silver for the rest of the silver and it looks good, but not the axes. Ideas? :?

I don't like the tiles on the base. I need to redo them.

Thanks for looking, don't forget to criticise and throw rotten vegetables.
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Hey! Someone actually did something!

I really like the colours on your army. It's a lot darker than standard high elves, but still very far from dark elves.

If you want some criticism the only thing I find is that the blue highlight on the PGs fingers make the sharp edges stand out a bit too much.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Git wrote:Hey! Someone actually did something!

I really like the colours on your army. It's a lot darker than standard high elves, but still very far from dark elves.

If you want some criticism the only thing I find is that the blue highlight on the PGs fingers make the sharp edges stand out a bit too much.
I really haven't done that much! I'm not going to finish; my only goal now is to finish the White Lions unit filler too.

I'll have a look at the highlight. I think it's easier to notice in the pictures - IRL I can't really spot it. Still, I'll have a look at it.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

I've finished the unit filler for my White Lions:

I think that's all for me now :( . I'll be working on a Secret Santa for Ulthuan.net, so I probably won't get anymore done. Oh well, I'll post an army shot at the end of the month.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Right, looks like it's over. I have achieved a pathetic amount. :( Here is my list:

Prince Sylvran of Lothern
Prince, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Radiant Gem of Hoeth (High), Luckstone

The Merwyrm Bows
20 Archers, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

The Flame Warriors Of Asuryan
14 Phoenix Guard, Musician

The Pride of Finubar
14 White Lions of Chrace, Musician, Guardian, Gem of Courage

Swift Flight
Great Eagle

I have finished (not including basing - I am going to do that only when the whole of a unit is done):
10 Archers (including standard and champion)
1 Phoenix Guard
7 White Lions (4 of which are the unit filler)

I didn't even get an eagle.

So...yeah. Never the less, here are pictures on my also unfinished board. ;)

Lighting is bad, but my lamp was on my desk and my board on my floor so...

If you feel like ridiculing me, do! :P

I'll probably continue to document my army's progress in the main Meadow, for however many years it takes me to finish it. :roll:

Hope the rest of you did better! :D
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

dont be ashamed, to get an army painted is hard and we all know how hard it can be to get enough painting time to make progress. Take comfort in the fact that you have accomplished more than many many others. And you have a great storyline to base the rest of your army on. i must say i have enjoyed reading of the "brotherly love" your army evolves around

That item is a horse...
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Oh, I'm not ashamed. Don't worry. ;)

Thanks for the nice comments though, and I'm glad you liked the story.

This is a good start to the army.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

I really like the Colour Scheme for the White Lions and the Lion itself is well done. :nod:

But you seem to switch too much between projects. For me it is too hard to get exactly the same Colours going when I switch between units, so mostly I try to finish a unit, before I start another. Helps me with the current one and I can still gather Ideas for the next one ... I would never be able to finish the units, if I just paint a few of an unit and then go on to the next ...

Discipline, young Padawan ... ;)

Just my thoughts on this. But otherwise really nice. :thumbsup:
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Thanks.

My problem is that, because it takes me so long to paint a single model, I get bored and have to paint something else to renew my interest. The way I see it is that I have an army and I can paint it in any order I like, as long as it gets finished eventually. Every model I paint is contributing to the finished army, so why worry about order?

Thanks again for the compliments though.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

I think I've done something wrong...

The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

POST TALE OF X GAMERS

Done another white lion. This is by far my best one yet...

I think he looks like he's smiling in the second picture. ^_^
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

The Forest Lord Daereth wrote:My problem is that, because it takes me so long to paint a single model, I get bored and have to paint something else to renew my interest. The way I see it is that I have an army and I can paint it in any order I like, as long as it gets finished eventually. Every model I paint is contributing to the finished army, so why worry about order?
Whatever works for is just fine. :)
I'm a slow painter, too. But for that I (for me) need to finish a unit for it to look coherent. It takes discipline, but I get it done.
Otherwise I would paint 2 minis of every unit and then - nothing. Which isn't the desired result. But if it works for you, fine.
It also is a form of reward for myself when I field a finished unit ... :nod:
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Prince Sylvran's Avengers - POST TALE OF X GAMERS

Another problem for me is that I can never decide what to use in my army. At the moment I'm not using White Lions, which is annoying as I have spent a lot of time painting them. :roll:
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Prince Sylvran's Avengers - POST TALE OF X GAMERS

Post by Moose123 »

Use white lions! They are one of the few great weapon units that are effective in small numbers. Actually one of like two, the other is sword masters.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer