Prince Sylvran's Avengers - POST TALE OF X GAMERS

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Prince Sylvran's Avengers - POST TALE OF X GAMERS

Post by The Forest Lord Daereth »

Fluff:
Sylvran was the younger of Prince Arnarion of Lothern’s two sons. However, because the first child is always the best, he was neglected. When his brother Elithmar went off to fight with their father’s army, Sylvran stayed at home and sewed with their mother. When Elithmar was given his first horse (a beautiful, white Ellyrion steed) he was given a toy horse. And it broke. When Elithmar inherited his father’s money and command of his army, he got an old hat that was centuries out of fashion. Still, at least he loved his father more than Elithmar did. That was why, when Arnarion died, Sylvran was set on avenging his death, whereas Elithmar was far more concerned with what to wear.

Arnarion had been a great warrior, and had led his troops time and again against Druchi forces at the time of the Sundering. He had finally been killed when fighting in hand to hand combat with a Dwarf Lord. His forces had won the battle, but he had paid for it with his life. So it was that the young Sylvran was determined to hunt down and kill that Dwarf Lord.

Being rather less rich than his brother, he could only muster a small regiment of archers and a noble great eagle. However, he would have set off straight for Karaz-A-Karak with only those, such was his determination. He did not though, as the Phoenix King himself sent the young noble a regiment of his finest White Lions of his bodyguard. You see, Arnarion had been a close friend to Finubar and the Phoenix King had taken pity on his son.

The night before the army set off for Elthin Arvan, mysterious flames were seen approaching. The whole force had been gathered together with weapons at the ready, fearing what this devilry could be. But as the lights drew nearer, it was observed that the ghostly flames were actually made by a regiment of Phoenix Guard! The soldiers’ hearts were filled with joy to see that Asuryan himself favoured the expedition.

This then was the army that set off from Lothern on the hawkship
Mathlann’s Red Headed Stepchild. They arrived in Elthin Arvan after many long weeks at sea, struggling through storms and battling against sea monsters.

When they arrived, they set off straight for the nearest Dwarf settlement. After many more long weeks battling through herds of Beastmen and Orc tribes, they stumbled across a Dwarf force. They camped within bowshot of the short, dirty, hairy abominations over night, but kept well out of sight.

In the morning they charged down the hill, through dew covered grass, singing the paean as they went. When they reached the bottom the carnage ensued, Asur warriors lopping off Dwarf heads left right and centre. By midday there were no Dwarfs left.

So it was that they took the battle standard of the defeated Dwarf army to right outside Karak Norn, and there burnt it in clear sight of the appalled garrison. Battle was inevitable…

And the list:

Prince Sylvran of Lothern
Prince, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Radiant Gem of Hoeth (High), Luckstone

The Merwyrm Bows
20 Archers, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

The Flame Warriors Of Asuryan
14 Phoenix Guard, Musician

The Pride of Finubar
14 White Lions of Chrace, Musician, Guardian, Gem of Courage

Swift Flight
Great Eagle

-996pts

Stay tuned, folks.
Last edited by The Forest Lord Daereth on 31 Oct 2012, 21:09, edited 3 times in total.
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
CainTheHunter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Prince Sylvran's Avengers - Tale of X Gamers

Post by CainTheHunter »

We are waiting for pics, Daereth. Or should I say Elithmar of Lothern? :ninja: :ninja:
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

CainTheHunter wrote:We are waiting for pics, Daereth. Or should I say Elithmar of Lothern? :ninja: :ninja:
I prefer Elithmar. ;)

Yep, I've taken some pictures that I'll upload in the next ten years, and I need to name the units.
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Finally uploaded the pictures. :roll:

Archers:
I'm hopefully going to get 40 more soon so I can replace the old white and blue ones.

Here's the archer I've painted most:

My Phoenix Guard (I'm basing them ATM):

And my White Lions:
WiP is a unit filler for these.

All the lions will look like this eventually:

Thanks for reading.

Watch this space. ;)
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Okay, progress. First a teaser:

I wonder what it could be? ;)

You probably already know. :(

Next, the White Lion I'm working on at the moment:

Some progress on the archer:

Some on the others too:

And I've finished putting the tiles on the bases of the Phoenix Guard now:

Enjoy!
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

OKay, here is an in focus picture of the lion: ;)

Well, partially in focus. :lol:
Dudds
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dudds »

What did you use for the tiles on the bases?
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Dudds wrote:What did you use for the tiles on the bases?
It's just the box in which they came, cut into small, 5mm squares.
Dudds
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dudds »

Ahh nice. Enjoying watching it all come together.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Haven't got much done due to having a lot happen this month. Hopefully I can finish though.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

I had a test game with this list at the weekend. I like it.

1000pts versus Empire

I tested my new 1k list:
Prince, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Radiant Gem of Hoeth
20 Archers, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame
15 Phoenix Guard, Standard Bearer, Musician
14 White Lions of Chrace, Musician
Great Eagle

He had roughly:
Life Wizard
Warrior Priest
30 Halberdiers, 2x5 Crossbowmen detachments
10 Crossbowmen
5 Inner Circle Knights
3 Demigryph Knights
Helblaster

Spells
Life Wizard -
Earthblood
Awakening of the Wood

Prince -
Defaulted to Shield of Saphery
Drain Magic

He chose the bottom, and I won the first turn.

Deployment

Asur turn one
The White Lions moved up past the building, with the eagle following to stay out of view of the Helblaster. The Phoenix Guard moved forward slightly, but for the most part I stayed back to keep out of range of the volley gun. I knew if I did that I would have missile superiority.
Magic was pretty unexciting all game and I have no record of it, so I shan’t comment on it at all. Basically I sometimes protected something with shield, sometimes got drain magic through, and he buffed the demigryphs with prayers.
This shooting phase was the most important part of the battle though. My archers loosed their arrows at the detachment of crossbowmen and obliterated them, causing the halberdiers and ten crossbowmen to rout – boom!

Empire turn one
The routing units fled from the field, whilst both knight units went round the flanks. The Helblaster had failed panic last turn and so couldn’t shoot.

Asur turn two
Seeing the danger of the Inner Circle Knights on the left, I sent my Phoenix Guard to intercept them. Apart from that, the eagle moved a bit and I got two kills on the remaining crossbows.

Empire turn two
The knights continued to advance and not much else happened.

Asur turn three
The Phoenix Guard moved further up to engage the knights. I charged the White Lions into the demigryph knights. They failed, as it was a long charge, but I had planned for that. The eagle moved to hold them up.
I think it was at this point I started to target the volley gun with my archers, hoping the volume of arrows could wound it.

Empire turn three
Demigryphs charged the eagle and obviously killed him, whilst the Inner Circle Knights scooted around the Phoenix Guard to threaten my vulnerable archers.

Asur turn four
I charged the White Lions into the knights, confident they could defeat them despite them having either a 5+ ward or re rolls to wound (can’t remember which prayer was used). They only did two wounds due to failing their fear test, and were slaughtered in return. Huh.
The dance on the left flank continued.

Empire turn four
The volley gun punished the archers somewhat for straying too far forward, and the demigryph knights continued around the right. The Inner Circle Knights strangely did not get out of the Phoenix Guard’s forward arc.

Asur turn five
I leapt on the chance to destroy the Inner Circle Knights and charged the Phoenix Guard into them. They pulled four knights off their horses but one managed to survive.
The archers began to jog forwards, trying to reach the volley gun before it could kill too many of their number. Perhaps this was a mistake, but I had already committed them and decided to follow through with the plan. Their arrows bounced off the contraption.

Empire turn five
The Helblaster killed yet more archers, leaving only ten alive. The last knights was toppled by Prince Sylvran and so the Phoenix Guard reformed to face the battle. I didn’t feel like losing another unit to the demigryphs.

Asur turn six
Last turn, eh? I don’t usually last this long. ;)
General advance, and the archers finally hit one of the crew. Perhaps I should just have finished off the crossbowmen earlier and then run to charge the Helblaster. Anyway.

Empire turn six
The Demigryph Knights finally charged the archers. I didn’t fancy losing all those points and so, even though they might have failed the charge, I fled.
Luckily enough archers survived the deadly fusillade of the Helblaster, and so they gave away no points.

After counting victory points, I had won as I was a couple of hundred points ahead. Yippee - third win of the year!

Please comment on the battle. I think I did pretty well. I think the only mistakes I really made were with the archers at the end and with the White Lions.

Thanks for reading. :)
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Whoops, I used the wrong list. Ah well, maybe I'll try the list at the top of the page in another game.
Calindor
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Calindor »

Nice that you got a win. I like our cousins, the high elves so I hope it contuie. Think you played well, perhaps you should have done something diffrent with his hellblaster but otherwise it looks fine.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Thanks.

More pics should be up at the end of the month.

EDIT: Made a slight list edit in the first post.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

If your archers were fleeing at the end of the game they give up their points.

Also, in turn 4 the Empire player might have charged the archers in the rear.

Finally, I don't know if it's changed this time for Empire but I thought detachments couldn't cause panic.

But it looked like a good game. A large board for 1k but not too much so. Looking forward to seeing some more.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Page 143 Rule Book-
Dead or Fled
Each enemy unit that has been destroyed or has fled the table...

It wouldn't appear so.

Yes, I was worried the Empire player would charge. Bad positioning by me.

Thanks for the comment anyway. I might get another game in a couple of weeks. I have now sprayed my Phoenix Guards and I am in the process of painting the White Lions unit filler. The archers should be here soon. Everything is slotting into place.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Update:

14 Phoenix Guard - undercoated

I think I'm going to have to use my old sword master champion as the prince because I haven't the money or time to do another model. Shame

Progress on lion unit filler

Archer basecoated completely

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

I think I missed something, those Phoenix Guard are much prettier than I remember.

And the swordmaster champion, it might be the angle of the photo but it looks like a quick wash of Nuln Oil or Badab Black (whichever version you might have) just to give it a little depth.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Funnily enough, I did wash him with badab black (actually, I think it was asurmen blue, but anyway). The thing is that he was painted a while ago and I have improved since then. I tried to make the armour look shiny, and I found it does if you reapply the chainmail back over the wash.

Anyway, I might be able to cobble together something better as my Prince.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

I finished the rock on the lion base:

Also, 40 archers arrived in the post the other day. These will occupy me for a while. ;)

Happy with the fletching on the archer's arrows so far:

The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Progress.

I present Prince Sylvran of Lothern!

Made entirely of parts I had left over. ;) I like him.

This was how my test PG was looking before painting today.

And after. Got to wait on getting the orange paint for now though. :(

Enjoy!
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Nice prince! I always like these kind of home made characters, as I've made more than one of them myself. :)
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Thanks Git. :)

I've finished a couple of models today. Firstly, the archer.
Quite pleased with him. I think I need to work on eyes though.

I also finished this, to show that the archers have the banner of eternal flame.
Very pleased with it. My first attempt at flames, and it came out very well.

Bad photograph, but this is a WiP picture of the test PG.
I'm not too sure about the orange wings on the helmet - I shall probably repaint them silver.

This is a bow prince/noble I did a while ago. He's now enjoying his new life as an archer champion. ;)

And progress on the archers. They're very quick to paint, these one pose archers.

A view from the top of the wood grain effect I tried on the archer's bow. Pleased with that too.

Thanks for taking a look. Please feel free (and obliged ;) ) to comment.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Good stuff Daereth. You certainly seem to be making the most progress out of all of us!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Great stuff! I like the colours on the Phoenix Guard. He looks sort of like a golden flame. :)