Winter 2009 Modelling Challenge - We have a Winner!

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Best Highborn/Noble on Elven Steed

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2010, 13:26

Unicorn
43%
Skoby
57%

Total votes: 46

ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Winter 2009 Modelling Challenge - We have a Winner!

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

This is the fourth modelling challenge.

The purpose of the challenge is two-fold. Firstly, to give extra impetus to the great modellers on this site to build specific models. Secondly, to show the rest of us mortals how to implement interesting ideas.

I have chosen the Mounted Noble or Highborn as the fourth challenge. It is a model that many of us field as a General in armies under 2000 points; 1000 points especially and which is recommended in many army lists. There is a GW model, but this is to encourage more variety.

The challenge will start (theoretically) on 21 December 2009 and finish on 28 February 2010. I will not eliminate recently started WiP models.

The subject is a WYSIWYG Wood Elf Highborn/Noble mounted on an Elven Steed with, as a minimum, light armour, shield, spear, helm (may be HotH), bow, (possible HoDA). Any of the equipment may be 'enhanced' so that it could be magical (armour, shield, spear, bow---) but it should be able to represent a Wood Elf Noble, steed, la, shield, spear, HoDA, HoTH that might be used as a General in smaller games or cavalry support in larger ones.

To enter you must post at least three photos to this thread. One photo must show the basic components of your model in their unassembled form, so that others can see very easily the parts you started from. Another photo must show WiP before priming and painting so that others can see where the components have been used, where the Green Stuff/filler is, etc. The third photo must show the completed model. Please label these three photos properly so we know which they are if you submit more than three. You may also submit concept sketches and other photos during the process to show how you did it and how you painted it. Tell us how you have depicted all the WYSIWYG elements to make sure that we do not miss something.

At the end of the challenge, voting will take place to determine the winner of the challenge. Go for it!
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Winter 2009 Modelling Challenge

Post by unicorn »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:it should be able to represent a Wood Elf Noble, steed, la, shield, spear, HoDA, HoTH that might be used as a General in smaller games or cavalry support in larger ones.
Just a quick question: are the "official" wild rider models considered to be "light armored"? In other words, will character with imilar "light-armor" fur on his back be OK for this assignment?
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Light amour is what you make it. :D It includes partial metal, chain, splint, or band, but not plate. Or you could use leather, hide, or even padding.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Ok. That changes my plans a little, but never mind - I will do my best to get the model fitting this assignment! Count me in!
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Ok, so I am trying to join... I will see how this will turn out - I changed my plans a little, so nothing is certain ;)

Done and finished!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

4th round - the finished model before priming:
Many details are hard to see, as there is a lot of textured GStuff over textured GStuff, hopefully the painted version will show that all ;)
Image Image
Image Image Image

3rd round of photos - the armor done and cloak WIP:
Image Image Image Image Image

2nd round of photos - before the stuff comes in:
Image Image
Image Image Image

Anyway - 1st "photos" - the conversion bits:

Beasts of Chaos "Regiment" (Gors + Ungors) sprues

Glader Riders (+ horse) sprues

Greenstuff, my superglue, and the Lion head from HE lion chariot
Last edited by unicorn on 27 Feb 2010, 15:00, edited 4 times in total.
Painted
Finished
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Good start Unicorn, hope it inspires OTHERS!

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'm hoping to enter, but I haven't had chance to even think about getting any parts yet...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
almundis
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Tomb kings, Dark elves, daemonhunters, Wood elves.

Post by almundis »

Would it be possible to enter a DE master into this? I'm trying to find excuses to get of my fat arse and actually DO something. Mainly cause it's either that or study. And I'll be damned if I actually do work at uni!

Auros Helyanwé
Weapons: 2x hand weapons, longbow, Light Armour
Character stats: M WS BS S T W I A Ld
------------------ 5 5 5 3 3 1 5 3 8
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

It needs to be a model you could WYSIWYG as a WE noble as defined, so requires a bow. I don't think a bow is a Master option. I see no reason why you could not base your model on Druchii bits. My Wild Riders and Dark Riders use the same models, although I also have some additional Dark Riders with rxb.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Just edited my post with 2nd round of photos - the "assembled" mini before stuffing ;) Hope you will like it :)
Painted
Finished
quasihayley
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by quasihayley »

unicorn wrote:Just edited my post with 2nd round of photos - the "assembled" mini before stuffing ;) Hope you will like it :)
Loving the lion helmet!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

quasihayley wrote:Loving the lion helmet!
Thanx :D
Hopefully it will get the whole lion fur attached before this competition is over ;)
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Uni, you're putting everyone to shame (that's why you're the only entrant!! :D )
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:Uni, you're putting everyone to shame (that's why you're the only entrant!! :D )
I believe it is not WHY, but BECAUSE I am the only entrant :D
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Touché ;)

I am still intending to enter, and I have an idea bouncing around in my head (or at least, parts of an idea...). I just haven't yet had the opportunity to go out and get the parts I need...
czar05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodies, O&G

Post by czar05 »

I have decided to enter this having had no previous experience modelling or even using green stuff :) I am also a fairly terrible painter so dont expect much from me :p

Anyway, here goes.

Pieces before(most of)Assembly
Pieces: Glade guard bow, standard bearer arm, glade rider head, legs, torso, cape and horse, goblin and pile of skulls from battle for skull pass, shield from moria goblin. The antlers are stolen from a bretonnian knights helm.

With Green Stuff
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Good start czar05.

Thanks.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

alessan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by alessan »

When will this challenge end?? Just to know how much time is available? Just to c if I can convert and paint such a model! Thanks!
It's better to be silent and thought to be a fool, than to open your mouth and remove the doubt!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:The challenge will start (theoretically) on 21 December 2009 and finish on 28 February 2010.
Does that answer your question? :)
alessan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by alessan »

Lol!! I didn't see it!!! Hope I can make it!!! Not sure though!! If there was another month then it would be alright!
It's better to be silent and thought to be a fool, than to open your mouth and remove the doubt!
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

If people are not completely complete at the end, bribery may be possible.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

alessan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by alessan »

ok then!! :))) Bribery it will be then!!! :))) Anything for the win :)
alessan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by alessan »

Mounted noble on a horse or on a stag??? I have a concept in mind but I think it will look better on 40x40 or a 50x50 base!!!! So it will count as a stag than a horse!! I think I can fit it on a 25x50 but it wont give it justice!!!! Or I will put it on a 25x50 in order to be legal and all of that on a larger scenic base so I can have it on my self :)))
Unendil
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Unendil »

I have been working on a Lord on a Forest Dragon using the High Elf model as a base, however, I failed to take a picture of all the pieces (I could list them) does this disquaify me or can I still get in on this...you are going to want to see this guy so maybe you will let me slide....he is in final assembly stages right now..no paint yet.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Unendil wrote:I have been working on a Lord on a Forest Dragon
Unendil wrote:I failed to take a picture of all the pieces (I could list them) does this disquaify me or can I still get in on this...
I am afraid your whole answer is here:
ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:The subject is a WYSIWYG Wood Elf Highborn/Noble mounted on an Elven Steed
Painted
Finished