Winter 2009 Modelling Challenge - We have a Winner!

Painting and Modeling Challenges, competitions, and winners.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Best Highborn/Noble on Elven Steed

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2010, 13:26

Unicorn
43%
Skoby
57%

Total votes: 46

Unendil
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Winter 2009 Modelling Challenge

Post by Unendil »

Doh!....My apologies....I knew I read that....I guess I was just too excited about almost being finished with this cool conversion I have going on...and I saw a challenge for a hero...sorry again...and I must say the entries so far are sweeeeeeet.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Just because I have some spare time (and camera on my hand), I decide to show that I am not sleeping but still working on this challenge model. Yeah, it is much slower that I hope it will be, but still, I am advancing to the (yearned-for) result. So far, it looks promising.

Anyway, you can find the new pictures in my ORIGINAL POST, where I edited them in (scroll down, I am becoming to be somehow picture-heavy ;) ). Anyway, ignore the head-less horse, I use this "onece in the distant future, there will be some horse conversion" frame to make the noble body visible enough :)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

I want it on an Elven Steed so that it could be used as a Noble General in a 1000 point army.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
alessan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by alessan »

Hmmm! I will c if I can fit it on a 25x50 although it will look huge on it!!
It's better to be silent and thought to be a fool, than to open your mouth and remove the doubt!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Anyway, can I ask why such things as Whinter challenge 2008 and summer modelling challenge 2009 are still pinned, while Whinter modelling challenge 2009 is not? :paranoid:
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

'cause I forgot.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

There are final "model" photos of my model in my ORIGINAL ENTRY POST, hopefully you will like it no matter that in the GS over GS parts it is hard to say what is what right now ;)
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Will I really be the only one who will enter this challenge? :paranoid:

I updated my ENTRY POST with the final "product" pictures ;)
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

It looks like it Uni :(

My plans for this have completely fallen off track, so I certainly won't have a model ready (but I think that's probably for the best, being as it looks like I'm running this now anyway...). We'll wait and hope in vain that someone else enters a final model tomorrow :smirk:
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

I am sat here with my bits box seriously considering doing a last minute entry, I'm going to give it a go and even if I don't finish it on time I've not felt this inspired to model something in quite some time so I'm gonna give it my best shot. Unfortunately my best chance for painting isnt until about 8pm tomorrow night so it doesnt look at all likely I will finish it and have pics submitted on time, but I'm gonna try.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Well, with only one entry currently there's a strong argument for having an extension.

I'll make a deal with you Skoby - if you can show us pictures of a WiP model by midnight GMT tomorrow, I'll give you a week or two (depending on how generous I'm feeling ;) ) to get it painted and finished. How's that sound?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:Well, with only one entry currently there's a strong argument for having an extension.

I'll make a deal with you Skoby - if you can show us pictures of a WiP model by midnight GMT tomorrow, I'll give you a week or two (depending on how generous I'm feeling ;) ) to get it painted and finished. How's that sound?
I am for the 2 weeks. And for reminder PM to everyone who claims that wish to enter ;)
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

So far there is only one other person who has shown any sign of entering, and that is czar05. I will PM alessan as well, but I don't want to drag this out for an extra two weeks if it's not needed.
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

Beithir Seun wrote:Well, with only one entry currently there's a strong argument for having an extension.

Even just a week sounds generous to me, I have the componants picked out (and photographed but I want to dry fit it before I decide 100%). I will get a pics of it assembled and likely some greenstuffing by tomorrow night.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

OK, we have a deal. If you get photos of a WiP model up by tomorrow, I'll extend the contest by a week to allow you time to finish it. Good luck!
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

Time for my WIP pics, I am being hindered by my abysmal fantasy bits box, so pretty much everything has come from the glade riders sprue, and my complete lack of helmets has frustrated me. The spear arm was drying when I took the pic, also I'm undecided on what head for the horse, but it shows progress, and just got some tidying up and more detailing to do really. Appologies for the poor lighting, only got a energy efficient bulb atm, will get better pictures for the pre-priming pics and final results, hopefully you can make most of it out.

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Well, for only 24 hours work that's pretty good going. You've got a week to get it finished!
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

Ive not had so much time to work on it over last couple of days as I would have liked but I am happy with how it's turned out. I'm just waiting for the most recent greenstuff to cure... but I've carefully taken some pics, altho i still got finger marks on the bass that will all be covered with sand and static grass. I'm pretty annoyed with myself for putting detail on the front of the body, I never bothered to check if it would be visible lol, still it was good greenstuff practice :)

Painting starts tomorrow :)
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Very nice, skoby, I really like that. Great ideas and good work, cool :thumbsup:
Painted
Finished
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

Thought I'd give a little update, no pics but I've been up since 7:30 and spent a lot of the day painting. For some unknown reason I decided to be adventurous with the steed and paint it as a skewbald (brown with white patches or vice versa) which I am fairly happy with but could have gone better. I've also tried to do some blending which is fairly new to me but I think I pulled it off. Should have the model finished tomorrow and then just got to sort the basing out. There is a chance I wont be able to get decent pics done in daylight before monday, depends on plans with my gf this weekend, but worst case they should be up by about 10am monday morning.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Alrighty then, you've got until I wake up on Monday morning to post pictures ;)
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

You'd better hope Beithir's not an insomniac...
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

I'm finished, been doing the finishing touches here and there over the weekend, but since my gf has been here I haven't been able to get any decent photos, but I can do that first thing tomorrow. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out, a few bits aren't as good as I hoped but it's probably my favorite model I've done :).

Look out for the pics early tomorrow :)
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

All done and photographed, I've also got a pic of all the parts I used. The original pic had some bits that I ended up not using so I removed them and pasted in pics of the aditional bits I ended up using so it looks a little messy but I think it's clear enough to see what I used :).

So, here we go, my finished entry:

And the "bits"
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Excellent stuff Skoby! We're all ready to start voting now then.