Play all your WFO battles in here!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

[C] Beithir (MC) vs Herald (WE), 2k

Post by Herald »

And there we go. If you're happy with it, here's the map:

Wood elf friendly, of course :D , and with challenges for every aspiring young general... I'll be back with list and templates later.

Guard tower two storey?
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Beithir (MC) vs Herald (WE), 2k

Post by Herald »

Here are my templates, aiming for a "classic" list:

And in list form:
The Sentinels of Lahin-Nakhai wrote:
Arawn, General, Noble on Steed w l.a, sp, sh, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom
Sayolon, Alter, w gw, sh, Briarsheath, Amaranthine Brooch
Tallec, Singer lvl 2 w Calaingor's Stave, dispel scroll

2x10 GG w mus
10 GG
5 Scouts w mus, banner of Zenith
2x8 Dryads
2x5 GR w mus
7 WD w mus
6 WR w Warbanner
1 GE
8 WW

1998 pts
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Everything looks great, and two storeys is fine :)

Here's my list (with unfamiliar magic item/equipment effects in italics):
Condottiere ~ 262pts
- Barded warhorse, Armour of Mystic Refraction (full plate, gives MR(3)), shield, Lucky Coin (5+ Ward, bearer may reroll one failed AS per turn), brace of pistols, horseman’s mace (+1S), Inspiring Leader (Leadership range increased to 18"), Precision Drill (the character and any infantry unit they join may make a single free reform during their own turn before charge declarations are made. They may move as normal that turn, and may charge)

Condotta Captain ~ 230pts
- Battle Standard Bearer, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Battle Flag of Myrmidia (All friendly units within 12" of the banner are Stubborn), barded warhorse, horseman’s mace, brace of pistols, Defence in Depth (a unit joined by the character has a maximum rank bonus of +4, not +3 as is normal)

Battle Wizard ~ 100pts
- School of Alchemy, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll

30 Condotta Soldiers ~ 305pts
- Full command, Heavy armour, pikes, Banner of Respite (6+ Ward against non-magical missiles)

30 Condotta Soldiers ~ 295pts
- Full command, Heavy armour, pikes

10 Condotta Marksmen ~ 100pts
- Crossbows, pavaise (+2 AS, -1 Movement), heavy armour

10 Condotta Marksmen ~ 100pts
- Crossbows, pavaise (+2 AS, -1 Movement), heavy armour

15 Brigands ~ 180pts
- Scouts, light crossbows (20" range, S4, move-and-fire)

5 Knights ~ 235pts
- Full command, barding, lances, full plate armour, S4, brace of pistols, Banner of Reckless Spite (All models in the unit are subject to Hatred, and may re-roll their pursuit dice if the first roll is insufficient to catch the enemy)

6 Border Horsemen ~ 95pts
- Light crossbows (20" range, S4, move-and-fire), musician

6 Border Horsemen ~ 95pts
- Light crossbows (20" range, S4, move-and-fire), musician

Total ~ 1997pts
My templates:

And for convenience, the full rules for pikes:
Rules: always strikes first (to the front of the unit only, and only if the unit has at least a +1 rank bonus), fight in 4 ranks (only if the unit has at least a +1 rank bonus), armor-piercing, two-handed, phalanx, awkward weapon.

-Phalanx:
a unit must contain at least fifteen models armed with pikes, must have a rank bonus of at least +2, and must not be in difficult or very difficult terrain, in order to use the phalanx rules. Cavalry, chariots or monsters (including ogre-sized models) charging the front of the phalanx do not count as charging, and lose the 'always strikes first' rule if they have it. They also suffer -2 to hit the phalanx in combat.

-Awkward weapon:
any model armed with a pike may not enter buildings or woods. They also suffer twice the usual movement penalties for any kind of difficult or very difficult terrain, and twice the penalty for crossing obstacles. Finally, a unit that is frenzied for any reason may not use their pikes.
My Alchemist will roll for his spell:
1-3 Lore of Fire, 4-6 Lore of Metal wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

4 = 4
Lore of Metal, which spell?
Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

6 = 6
The Spirit of the Forge

And finally, my roll for table side:

5 = 5
With a reroll just in case:

5 = 5
Not a bad start :smirk:

If you have any questions about the Mercenary Companies list now, or as we're playing, don't hesitate to ask :)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Firstly, thanks for the information. As far as I can tell, you've included everything I need right here. :)

Funny thing about the pike rules, kind of reminds me of our 8th edition musings. Please remind me not to charge them in the front, will you? And a nice flavoured army, another classic list. Cowboys vs Indians, this one! ;)

'Precision drill' is heavy, knights with 360 charge arc... :p I'll try and pay attention.

Onto business:
Rolling for spells wrote:Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

4 + 6 = 10
That's Twilight Host, which I'll keep, and Call of the hunt, which I swap for Treesinging.
Roll for tablesides wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6 > 5" :

3 = 3 ... failure
Nope. Your call, then. :cool:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'll take the top edge, if you want to place your free wood :)

Are you happy to deploy one unit at a time, or do you want to speed things up a bit?
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Beithir Seun wrote:Are you happy to deploy one unit at a time, or do you want to speed things up a bit?
2 units at the time? Suits me fine. :)

Here is the map with the free wood:

Looks a little unfair, now that you have half of your army unable to enter forests. :confused:

At best, you could look at it as a woodland ambush. Poor foreign gentlemen on an innocent stroll through the woods... :roll:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Here are my first units then - Pikemen with Banner of Respite, and Border Horsemen:

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

-Eeeek! Eeek!

The solemn cry of the eagle broke the silence of the morning, and Sayolon looked in the direction the giant bird had flown. In his present raven form his eyes were sharper than usual, and from the top of the tree where he was perched he had a good view of the surrounding terrain. He had long since spotted the column of pikemen, their trusted metal weapons betraying their whereabouts, and together with Arawn he had picked a suitable spot for the inevitable engagement. Now he saw the cavalry emerging from behind a small forest further east. So, the humans had their scouts too, he thought, and took to his wings. -The music is playing, let the dance begin!

Tallec felt confident. With Arawn having formally taken command of Tallec's army, she could concentrate on communicating with the woods, which was definitely more her goblet of wine than strategy and tactics. If only the minds of the two-legged were more like trees, they wouldn't have to kill each other all the time! Tallec frowned. She had seen enough on this voyage from Arawn and others who called themselves elves, to wonder if they really were any different from the creatures they were battling. At least this time they were defending their care against trespassers. All these 'carcass dwellers' could see in a forest was how many new houses or boats or machines of destruction they could build. -Very well, she told herself, these men need to be taught a lesson. Some forests fight back!

(...)
I suppose you don't mind a little fluff? I started it in my other game (that came to a halt), and just felt like continuing... :roll:

Anyway, here's the hard stuff:
Pardon the attachment, the Bucket didn't work.
Pardon the attachment, the Bucket didn't work.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

No, I have no problem with fluff. I may even try and write some of my own, if you don't mind :)
Alessandro pulled his horse to a halt at the side of the march column, watching rank upon rank of pikemen trudge past. All this for a few tree trunks Alessandro mused. If it weren't for the fact that the merchants were so greedy, he wouldn't even be here. Trust merchants to pick the one wood harbouring elves...

Not that he'd actually seen any, of course. Alessandro had enough experience of elves to know that they were only ever seen when they wanted to be seen, but the arrow-riddled bodies of the first few lumberjacks to enter the wood were enough proof that the elves were there, and that they didn't want to be disturbed. Still, Alessandro was being paid good money for this job, and he had been careful to negotiate a contract that meant he got paid something even if he returned with no timber. All he had to do was survive long enough to claim his payment...
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Beithir Seun wrote:No, I have no problem with fluff. I may even try and write some of my own, if you don't mind :)
Not at all, where's the joy in killing people you don't know? :sexy: (Pardon my sense of humour... :roll: )

Yes, the 2x5 infantry is really GG. :cool:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

-And here's the results from the wood elven jury:

Not much to go on now either, I'm afraid. I messed up my right flank deployment, forgetting that you could actually march and shoot too! Oh, well, dryad screen it is, then.

Now, which path will your knights choose to follow? One leads to salvation, the other to damnation, but which is which, only the Norns know... :p
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

The Knights flip a coin....

I've only got scouts left, so you can deploy the rest of your tree-huggers now :D
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Interesting development. ;) I have to run some errands now, but I'll get the rest done later. See ya!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Just noticed I've left a divot :o Would you mind filling the gap when you do your deployments? :)
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Beithir Seun wrote:Just noticed I've left a divot :o Would you mind filling the gap when you do your deployments? :)
Not sure what a divot is, but consider it done! ;)

Here is the rest of my 'regular' troops:

Do we dice off for who goes first with scouts or is it your turn? In case we dice off:
Scouts wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

4 = 4
The plot thickens... :)

Edit: One question - Pikemen can't enter woods or buildings, and when describing an assault on buildings, BRB uses the words 'storming in', and occupying. Does this mean Pikemen can't even attack the unit inside the building (leaving only your archers)?

Also I forgot to place my Alter, so I had to redo the map (and then I changed my mind about the SS in the process, so I moved her, hope you don't mind...) :)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

:o I've just realised that I left my wizard off the map. Should we play on and count him as lost (maybe he chickened out of the fight?) or would you allow me to deploy him now? He was meant to be with the red crossbowmen on the right-hand side, but I can understand that that might alter your final deployments...

I'll leave the decision up to you :)

We do indeed roll off to see who places scouts first. Here's my roll:

6 = 6
So the Brigands go down first. If you don't mind, I'll wait to hear what you say about the wizard before doing the map :)

As for pikes, I'm not sure whether assaulting a building involves entering it :confused: It doesn't seem clear from the rules, although it does point out that the charging unit will automatically occupy the building if the occupiers flee (which a pikemen unit obviously wouldn't be able to do). I think it would be easier (and realistic) if we say Pikemen cannot assault buildings.
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Beithir Seun wrote::o I've just realised that I left my wizard off the map. Should we play on and count him as lost (maybe he chickened out of the fight?) or would you allow me to deploy him now?
As I have just fixed my own map to include my Alter, which I forgot, that decision kind of makes itself, right? Plus it gets too easy if I can move the trees at my own discretion as well... I like to play it slack when it comes to honest mistakes anyhow, so no worries! ;)
And if that would have changed my deployment, I might have asked to fix it, but it doesn't.
Beithir Seun wrote:As for pikes, I'm not sure whether assaulting a building involves entering it :confused: It doesn't seem clear from the rules, although it does point out that the charging unit will automatically occupy the building if the occupiers flee (which a pikemen unit obviously wouldn't be able to do). I think it would be easier (and realistic) if we say Pikemen cannot assault buildings.
BRB goes to some lengths describing the entering through windows and fighting in stairways and such, so I believe that would be RAI, yes. Unfortunately for you. :(
Beithir Seun wrote:So the Brigands go down first.
May their paths be covered with cherry blossoms... :evil:
Last edited by Herald on 21 May 2010, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Herald wrote:
Beithir Seun wrote:As for pikes, I'm not sure whether assaulting a building involves entering it :confused: It doesn't seem clear from the rules, although it does point out that the charging unit will automatically occupy the building if the occupiers flee (which a pikemen unit obviously wouldn't be able to do). I think it would be easier (and realistic) if we say Pikemen cannot assault buildings.
BRB goes to some lengths describing the entering through windows and fighting in stairways and such, so I believe that would be RAI, yes. Unfortunately for you. :(
But none of that is actual rules, which is what I was getting at. Still, point taken :smirk: I'm not going to argue :D

Here are the Brigands and Wizard then:

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Ready, set...

And who goes first wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

6 = 6
:)

And sorry for messing up my post above (posting before reading through is a bad habit...) :roll:

Ooops, I did it again! :D :
In case of reroll wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

6 = 6
Damn! The elves are hot tonight!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

5 + 5 = 10
:lol: Close, but no cigar

Your choice!
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

You're forgetting your +1 for finishing deployment first, which makes us still even! :D
Reroll, take 2 wrote:Result of the throw of dice "1d6" :

1 = 1
In other words, your choice! ;)
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

From their vantage point, Arawn had gone over the plan together with Sayolon and the captains. Now she looked out at her host of elves. Different faces, different emotions. That would not do. She raised her spear and her voice at the same time.

-We are Athel Loren! We live as one, we fight as one, and if necessary, we die. As one! She drew her knife and quickly made a long cut across her chest, clenching her teeth. -My pain is not important! My blood is of no value, my life has no meaning! But the survival of the great forest that brings life to all. If we die today, new life shall spring from our fallen bodies, and the great cycle will continue undisturbed. But if we fail... She paused for drama. -If we fail, these lands will be raped! Look at the fields of the Humans, subdued like their animals. Deprived of its strength to live and its pride of existence. Can we let that happen to our fair, merciful mother land!?

The sound of the crowd was convincing, and she knew better than to hesitate. Her stallion reared in response, and together they stirred the herd of elves into action.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'll take the first turn, although moves will have to wait for a bit I'm afraid :(
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Sorry for the wait Herald. Here are my moves :)

Gazing across at the elven figures facing his forces, Alessandro had a moment's pause. Perhaps it was better to return to the merchants without a fight at all? After all, he and his men would still get paid. Of course, it wouldn't be as much as if they brought the wood back with them but that was preferable to dying. Still, they were here now - Alessandro didn't think the elves would let his men leave unmolested now that they had come so far. They were committed to this battle.

Signalling the advance, the mercenary forces began the steady march across the battlefield.

Magic

Nothing in range, so none

Shooting

Red Crossbowmen will fire at the grey Dryads screening the Eagle:
hitting on 6s for long range and skirmishers wrote:Result of the throw of dice "10d6" :

3 + 3 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 5 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 31
2 hits
wounding on 4s wrote:Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

3 + 5 = 8
1 wound at -1AS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both units of horsemen at the Dryads on the right-hand side:
hitting on 7s for long range, skirmishers and moving wrote:Result of the throw of dice "12d6" :

3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 6 + 3 + 2 + 4 = 40
Result of the throw of dice "3d6" :

2 + 4 + 5 = 11
2 hits
wounding on 4s wrote:Result of the throw of dice "2d6" :

5 + 6 = 11
2 wounds at -1AS

~ 1 wound on the grey Dryads
~ 2 wounds on the yellow Dryads