New Lord Character (Atylwyth theme)

Post ideas and develop rules or stats for whatever you want in here. Asrai units as well as other races

Moderator: Council of Elders

Lyzaru
Newcomer
Newcomer

New Lord Character (Atylwyth theme)

Post by Lyzaru »

First I just want to say that I have always loved winter themed wood elves. I also really like the idea of a super elf leader (AKA Orion). This is my attempt to allow for both, I have alternate rules for the Character or you can play him as an Orion count as for winter themed armies.

Vaylynn, The Wrath of Winter

Vaylynn is one of the eldest of the Asrai, though how old is unknown. Vaylynn has always had a strange connection to the sprites of Athel Loren. This connection gave him a supernatural understanding of the forest in his youth. However, as the forest has grown angry over the ages, these sprites have plagued him with feelings of anger and bloodlust. In the hope to silence these voice he retreated to the realm of eternal winter, however even that failed to block out the sprites influences. So Vaylynn now sleeps in a frozen state from the first day of spring to the last day of autumn. Only when winter falls across the lands, and the forest slumbers does he gain fragments of clarity. Vaylynn's body has become incredibly resilient and ageless due to his time spent within a frozen state, in addition his anger has fueled his strength. His skin is pale and faintly blue in tone, with hair as white as freshly fallen snow. His eyes glow like blue fire.

Option 1:
Play him as a fluffly Orion for a winter themed army.

Option 2:
Custom Rules:
Lord Choice: Point Cost: 575
M: 9 / WS: 8 / BS: 7 / S: 6 / T: 5 / W: 5 / I: 9 / A: 5 / Ld: 10
Type: Monster (Special Character)
Special Rules: Aura of Wrath, Always Strike First, Forest Stalker, Terror, Unbreakable.

Aura of Wrath: Vaylynn's bloodlust and desire to kill persist and radiant out ward affecting those around him.At the start of each turn Vaylynn and any friendly wood elf units within 6" gain the Frenzy (even if they possess the Immune to Psychology rule) and Devastating Charge Special rules until the end of the turn. In addition an army containing Vaylynn may not contain any units with the Forest Spirit special rule (unless that unit is a mount).

Equipment: Crystalline Heart, Frostfire Spear, Shard Shatter Bow.

Crystalline Heart: This sacred pendant steels ones body against death to protect them through even the harshest winters.Talisman. Grants Vaylynn a 5+ ward save, in addition Vaylynn is immune to the Poison and Multiple wounds Special rules. I.E poison attacks must still roll to wound, and wounds that would cause multiple instead just cause a single wound.

Frostfire Spear: This sacred spear burns with the fire of winter, it seeks to consume and destroy, so that the cycle of rebirth can begin come spring. Magic Weapon. Counts as a spear. Has the Armor Piercing (-1), Flaming and Multiple Wounds (d3) Special rules.

Shard Shatter Bow: This legendary bow fires arrows of pure crystal that explode upon striking their target. Magic Weapon. Shard Shatter Bow is a missile weapon with the following profile. Range 30" / Strength 4 / Small circle template (roll to hit as normal for the target unit, then place the small template over the unit)
Last edited by Lyzaru on 29 May 2014, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Re: New Lord Character (Atylwyth theme)

Post by bjoernuhlig »

I like the idea. im not sure about T5. Isn't even Malekith T3? Being plagued by spirits doesnt make you t5, in my opinion. Same goes for S6. Its like a supercharged vamp lord. (you dont play VC, secretly, do you :sexy: )
apart from that, i really like the idea, the wrath aura is cool, though I would consider hatred?!?! why not bring hatred, its in your story. devastating charge and hatred. frenzy... its a cold monster, why frenzy?
also, too expensive. orion eats this boy and he is hardly worht his points.

also, as im reading the story, which i like btw, woulndt something be nice to represent his "madness"

And: small blast, thats the small template? also S4 hits? or S3 or S2?
ikadian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ikadian »

I like him too, but I think you could really play on the Winter theme a bit more, and make him really unique.

For instance, you could have a rule called Aura of Frost or something a bit more poetic, which would represent him freezing everything around him in the depths of winter. This could make him Aquatic, as he freezes all water features he moves over, ignoring any adverse effects of the terrain, and keeping them 'frozen' for a turn, making them traversable by everyone on the table. This isn't hugely game changing, but is nice and fluffy, and helps out the Wood Elves who's primary tactic is to run around the battlefield. Furthermore, this icy aura should confer -1 to hit to anyone he is in combat with, or whatever the Frost Phoenix does these days (haven't read the High Elf book)

I'd like to see Chillwind incorporated somehow too, seeing as we have access to it now. You could make it a Bound Spell from the Crystaline Heart, or could make the Shard Shatter Bow emulate the effects? Perhaps if it were a modification of the Bow, it could do D6+1 Strength 2 hits at a 30" range, and reduces Ballistic Skill by -1 until your next shooting phase? It's not hugely overpowered, and I think this guy is a combat monster more than a shooting one, but I like the idea he can help out the army in general too.

I also agree that Toughness 5 is a bit too much, maybe 4 would be better? Again you could reduce his points because of this.

Nice work though, and after all he is your creation, these are just some of my ideas!
"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Aupumut, Mohican
bjoernuhlig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by bjoernuhlig »

regarding the winter theme and frostfire:
the flaming attacks strike me a little odd, as it is a winter theme and Vaylynns weapon is called frostfire spear. maybe you could have it work like fire when regeneration is concerned. thus you cant regen cause the cold fire freezes your body. but it shouldnt affect trees or tomb kings or something else with the flammable special rule as their wooden nature or their dry corpses are not consumed by "real" flames, if i get this right.
i really like the image i get of him when i red the story, bluish skin, the cold stare, white hair. i can totally picture that.
Lyzaru
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Lyzaru »

I like the idea. im not sure about T5. Isn't even Malekith T3? Being plagued by spirits doesnt make you t5, in my opinion. Same goes for S6. Its like a supercharged vamp lord. (you dont play VC, secretly, do you :sexy: )
apart from that, i really like the idea, the wrath aura is cool, though I would consider hatred?!?! why not bring hatred, its in your story. devastating charge and hatred. frenzy... its a cold monster, why frenzy?
also, too expensive. orion eats this boy and he is hardly worht his points.

also, as im reading the story, which i like btw, woulndt something be nice to represent his "madness"

And: small blast, thats the small template? also S4 hits? or S3 or S2?
He is T5 from having endured being frozen numerous times for the majority of the year. Also the main goal was to have a fluffy reason to use Orion's stats in my winter themed army (as he is close enough) so when making his original rules I still wanted them to resemble that.

How does Orion eat this guy?

Yes the small template, at strength 4. (you roll to hit against the target unit as normal then place the small circle template over the target within range.

Frenzy is there to show his madness. (His anger / hatred is more a bloodlust to kill and destroy than it is a an actual hatred that is why I found frenzy to be more accurate)
I like him too, but I think you could really play on the Winter theme a bit more, and make him really unique.

For instance, you could have a rule called Aura of Frost or something a bit more poetic, which would represent him freezing everything around him in the depths of winter. This could make him Aquatic, as he freezes all water features he moves over, ignoring any adverse effects of the terrain, and keeping them 'frozen' for a turn, making them traversable by everyone on the table. This isn't hugely game changing, but is nice and fluffy, and helps out the Wood Elves who's primary tactic is to run around the battlefield. Furthermore, this icy aura should confer -1 to hit to anyone he is in combat with, or whatever the Frost Phoenix does these days (haven't read the High Elf book)

I'd like to see Chillwind incorporated somehow too, seeing as we have access to it now. You could make it a Bound Spell from the Crystaline Heart, or could make the Shard Shatter Bow emulate the effects? Perhaps if it were a modification of the Bow, it could do D6+1 Strength 2 hits at a 30" range, and reduces Ballistic Skill by -1 until your next shooting phase? It's not hugely overpowered, and I think this guy is a combat monster more than a shooting one, but I like the idea he can help out the army in general too.

I also agree that Toughness 5 is a bit too much, maybe 4 would be better? Again you could reduce his points because of this.

Nice work though, and after all he is your creation, these are just some of my ideas!
I like the idea for a freezing effect and / or chillwind may see what I can come up with. Just don't want him to be super crazy.

His stats are like that so it makes him fill the roll of Orion. (noted above)
regarding the winter theme and frostfire:
the flaming attacks strike me a little odd, as it is a winter theme and Vaylynns weapon is called frostfire spear. maybe you could have it work like fire when regeneration is concerned. thus you cant regen cause the cold fire freezes your body. but it shouldnt affect trees or tomb kings or something else with the flammable special rule as their wooden nature or their dry corpses are not consumed by "real" flames, if i get this right.
i really like the image i get of him when i red the story, bluish skin, the cold stare, white hair. i can totally picture that.
I went with flaming for simplicity, but ignoring regeneration was the main intent.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.
cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by cyberspite »

Sounds like a white walker! :eek:

Seriously, I love your theme and the fluff though, great idea.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

On the bow:
Maybe instead of a round template, randomly choose a model in the first rank and place a breath-weapon template on it, in the same straight line from the shooting model.
Each mini under the template takes an I-test, if fail = wound, can be saved.

Maybe with the frost you can add a fluffy M-penalty. ==> if hit (not necessary to wound) M is halved, like backpaddle/sidestepping.

Yes, this template can be abused to hit multiple units.
Yes the M-penalty will stick on all affected units.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.