Special Character: Amadri Ironbark

Post ideas and develop rules or stats for whatever you want in here. Asrai units as well as other races

Moderator: Council of Elders

Peter of Loren
Newcomer
Newcomer

Special Character: Amadri Ironbark

Post by Peter of Loren »

This is my attempt at a special character profile for Amadri Ironbark. If it is in the wrong section, please alert me or move it if you have the authority.

Amadri Ironbark was once Amadri Dawnspear, the Lord of Arranoc. One year, the Winds of Chaos blew very strongly through the Vaults of Winter. He was taken and tortured to death by a bunch Daemonettes. His immortal soul traveled through Athel Loren until it came upon a large, dead tree. Thus was Amadri Dawnspear reborn as Amadri Ironbark the Tree Kin. He did not forget his memories because the daemonettes cursed him to remember all his tortures.
Now, on to the rules!
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
5 5 4 4 5 3 3 4 9
Troop type-Monstrous infantry
special rules- fear, flammable, scaly skin(4+),Forest Spirit,Hatred(Daemons of Slaanesh and models with the mark of Slaanesh)
magic- Amadri is a level 1 wizard who uses spells from the lores of life or beasts.
magic items- The Dawnspear
Counts as a spear. If the wielder causes an unsaved wound on the enemy, then that model and any other models in the unit that have not yet attacked suffer -1 to hit until the end of the combat phase.
points cost-195
I would like your opinions and advice on how to make him more balanced.
Thanks!
Oh, and I forgot to say, he is a hero.
"In the war against ignorance and stupidity, you sometimes have to fight fire with fire."
Aulrek
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Special Character: Amadri Ironbark

Post by Aulrek »

I love it! I was going to create rules for this guy after reading the fluff. I'm glad you included the callback to the dawnspear- I guess we know what happened to it/why we can't take it anymore (it would also be pretty cool if demons of chaos could take it now). I'm in a warhammer heyday right now playing about 3 games a week, I'll play a game with this guy for sure!
Peter of Loren
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Peter of Loren »

Aulrek wrote:I love it! I was going to create rules for this guy after reading the fluff. I'm glad you included the callback to the dawnspear- I guess we know what happened to it/why we can't take it anymore (it would also be pretty cool if demons of chaos could take it now). I'm in a warhammer heyday right now playing about 3 games a week, I'll play a game with this guy for sure!
Thanks, but I am not sure how fair he is yet, so I would not advise taking him to a game. I plan to playtest him sometime this week, though.
Last edited by Peter of Loren on 14 May 2014, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
"In the war against ignorance and stupidity, you sometimes have to fight fire with fire."
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

That would be an awesome Hero character. Yeah I thought the same thing with regards to the Dawnspear.
I think they used it as his name just to pay homage to such a loved magical item.

The only thing I'd say is, that the advantage of the Dawnspear when wielded by an Elf was that they would most likely had been striking before the enemy being around I7. But being only I4, they may not get a chance to even feel the effects of the weapon in that round of combat.

I have been in the middle of working on a group of Treekin for quite some time. I was going with the idea of making each model in a unit of 6 based on a different type of forest. I have already made a Fungi themed, Blood forest themed, & Wild Wood themed Treekin. So I obviously have Venom thicket, abyssal wood and what would have been "normal forest". Now however, I am going to make the "normal forest" themed Treekin into Amadri Ironbark and he will be the unit champion (if I ever bothered to upgrade :p ).
Being the lord of Arranoc fits my army as they are painted as a Summer theme. I will give him an Arranoc themed shield & I plan to use the Wild Rider Standard as the spear head for the Dawnspear. I may even make some type of crown or circlet to display his importance.
Plus, a friend of mine said that he's got a load of slaanesh bits for me to use. Make it look as if he has been hunting many of them down. :D
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Deadwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deadwood »

Indeed, this character is very colorful. But relying on his fluff, I see it in a slightly different form. So, when he returns with a host of Dryads, Tree kins and so on to kick some daemonette asses out, I think that in game terms it would be more like all-troll Throgg army or something like that. Fun, crazy and many twisted and monstrous hulks. Therefore, I would not relied much on magical items but rather on rules allowing to put on the table such host.

So, here is my concept:

Hero Amadri Ironbark

Mv WS BS St To Wo In At Ld Sv WSv US Cost
5 5 4 6 5 4 4 4 9 4+ 6+ MI 190

Special rules: Fear; Flammable; Forest Spirits; Scaly Skin(4+); Haunted by a Pain; Lord of the Summerstrand

Haunted by a Pain - All friendly Tree Kin's, Dryads and Treemans within 18" have the Hatred(Daemons of Slaanesh) special rule.
Lord of the Summerstrand - Tree Kin's count as Core.

Something like that.. it is rather a line of thought than the finished version of rules. So I would be happy to discuss possible
development of this concept.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

I like the rules being about his attributes rather than the weapons.

Love the "haunted by pain" (should be Eternal Hatred against slannesh) and Lord of summerstrand rules. Treekin as core maybe a bit much.
I don't think he should be S6 T5, Peters stat line was a bit more balanced. Maybe make him S5 T5, as a tribute to the old Treekin.

It would be nice to include something Dawnspear-esque in his profile, could link that to summerstrand as it's always summer there.

What would give you incentive to take a Treekin character in a unit of Treekin? What could really benefit a unit of Treekin?

Definitely hero level though/ Yeah leave the wizard level off.
Deadwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deadwood »

Stats increased because he's still a hero, not a champion. Even a Branchwraith has increased WS and S compared with core Dryads. Also other HtH heroes(not only WE) have a significant increase in S, WS etc.
So I dont think that the strength increased by 1 is something terrible (anyway common treekins are T5).

As for Hatred rule I am ready to discuss. And surely, we can make this rule related to all models with Mark of Slaanesh (incl Daemons).
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Treekin are only S4 now and the Treeman is S5. T5 is absolutely fine! Yeah bump up the WS though.

The only S6 things in the book are Orion and the Forest Dragon. That's why I thought a S6 Treekin Hero may be a bit much.

Yeah the Hatred should definitely include Demons of Slaanesh and any Marks of Slaanesh, which would include Warriors of Chaos & some Dark Elves (aren't they Slaanesh worshippers?)
Deadwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deadwood »

Silly elves dont even know how to punch properly.)

Well, I agree with your arguments.
we can try something like this:
Mv WS BS St To Wo In At Ld
5 5 4 5 5 4 4 4 9

Also think about the rule(or magic item) allowing Treekins to re-roll all To Wound rolls of 1 in CC. Or something similar, some CC buff i think.

no, dark elves do not worship Slaanesh and in the game terms they have no units with this mark. So, only DoC and WoC.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Yeah those stats look a lot better :nod:

I'd definitely go with a CC buff. Could even go in the direction of giving him an attribute along the lines of "Banishment" from the lore of light, where demons/undead etc receive additional automatic wounds or hits. He is the Lord of Summerstrand, glade of eternal summer. It maybe thematic especially given his fluff already and it ties in with his hatred against evil spirits.

We'd want him to be different from other characters so I'd avoid things like, MR (as Orion has it), a wizarding level (Durthu/Drycha), a dragon :p haha!

I'm enjoying developing this character. :D I am dying to convert him to use as a Treekin unit champion. I already painted an Arranoc sunny shield. Going to get some slaanesh bits off my mate on friday too.
Deadwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deadwood »

If Arranoc is a place where it's always summer it means that the forest spirits that live here stronger than usual (according to fluff). So, it is possible to buff units with Forest Spirit special rule. Something "Banishment"-like or re-roll To Wounds, but not only for treekins, but army-wide(in any case, this character is created rather for fan low-point(1000-1500) all-tree lists, I think. so, the whole army will be Forest Spirit).
Overall, special rule like what I described above(re-roll all To Wound rolls of 1 for all models with Forest Spirit rule) fits well both in terms of fluffy summer-theme and CC buff, which still need for Tree kins to win fights. We only need to decide how this rule will work - army-wide, only models in unit that hero joins or at some distance(e.g. within 18'' like Hatred rule here).

Special rules: Fear; Flammable; Forest Spirits; Scaly Skin(4+); Lord Ironbark; Haunted by a Pain; Land of Eternal Summer

Lord Ironbark - Tree Kin's count as Core
Haunted by a Pain - All friendly Tree Kin's, Dryads and Treemans within 18" have the Hatred(Slaanesh) special rule.
In addition, Hatred applies in every round of close combat, not just the first.
Land of Eternal Summer - All models with Forest Spirit special rule (within 18"/in his unit) can re-roll all To Wound rolls of a 1 when making close combat attacks.

In any case, it should be playtested.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

I like the idea of making him a viable choice for lower pointed games. I can just imagine him leading a unit of Treekin to battle.
I still think Treekin as core will be a bit over powered. They already did away with changing units from special to core from Orion's rules of Wild Riders becoming Core.
I'd leave that one out. He'd look out sir from them at any rate which is incentive to put him in.

He should have Eternal Hatred (I think it's called).
Could probably give him a 3+ armour save too.

I like how you have expanded the summer themes rule to all Forest Spirits within 18". It shows how they are invigorated with life at this time.
Deadwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deadwood »

I still think Treekin as core will be a bit over powered.
Why? It looks like a WoC hero Throgg and his troll bros. Actually the idea of this character(Amadri) came to me after I saw several low-point(not more than 1500 points) all-troll armies. They looked cool and themed, but not without disadvantages (eg. no magic).
He should have Eternal Hatred (I think it's called).
same as Eternal Hatred wording is in his Haunted by a Pain rule.
Could probably give him a 3+ armour save too.
he already has 4+ scaly skin. not as cool as 3+, but.. :)

So, let it be something like this(as a concept that should be tested in the game).

Mv WS BS St To Wo In At Ld
5 5 4 5 5 4 4 4 9

Special rules: Fear; Flammable; Forest Spirits; Scaly Skin(4+); Lord Ironbark; Haunted by a Pain; Land of Eternal Summer

Lord Ironbark - Tree Kin's count as Core
Haunted by a Pain - All friendly Tree Kin's, Dryads and Treemans within 18" have the Hatred(Slaanesh) special rule.
In addition, Hatred applies in every round of close combat, not just the first.
Land of Eternal Summer - All models with Forest Spirit special rule (within 18"/in his unit) can re-roll all To Wound rolls of a 1 when making close combat attacks.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

We don't need them in core because we would have 50% of our points in special...It's not like were strapped for taking a ton of them. Dryads are perfectly fine as the only core in a tree army that this character would go along with. As for his hatred thing'y I'd say the unit he is in which would most likely be treekin should gain hatred with him (against chaos) and he should have eternal hatred against slaneesh specifically and regular hatred against chaos. This is a hero level character don't go too crazy. Stats seem pretty good with WS5 S5 T5 W4 I3 A4 LD9 lvl 1with beasts is a nice little bonus too.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

That's a cool character. I have thought of the same thing. Actually it really annoys me the when they have this awsome fluff for this character, why on earth they didn't put him in the new book.

I don't think that it is nescesary to give him a treekin core rule. I'm more fan of rules like gitilla the hunter or that marksman in the empire book, where you upgrade a unit of treekin to be ironbarks retinue.

This unit of treekin would get a buff if they accompany ironbark.

Perhaps a pip of strength or ASF even. With their low initiative I don't think it would be over powered.
Another cool possibility is giving his unit impact hits. "Ironbarks charge" or something with +1S per rank of treekin behind the first one....

I also think that him wielding the Dawnspear of all could be cool and fluffy.

When it comes to the OPs version I think it is balanced and not overpowered at all, however I think he is overpriced in that version. His stats aren't that much upgraded and even with the hatred and the weapon increasing the price to normal treekin + 150 pts is way to expensive. 120 pt seems more appropriate.

Now for a 195pt I think the Stallone could be increased and even put in another useful special rule
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Peter of Loren
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Peter of Loren »

His army does not need to be all forest spirits, as he is still lord of Arranoc.
That said, giving a buff to a particular unit in his army does sound good. Maybe a unit of Tree Kin with 3+ scaly skin?(along with himself) He does have iron bark, after all.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

It doesn't seem to make much sense to make tree kin core when he is included in an army list. Just cause he is a tree kin doesn't mean there are a ton more where he is sort of thing. Being lord of the summerstrand might make sense to give him another special rule, but again, I don't think it's a good enough reason. But the Dawnspear idea was very good, so I made my own version of Amadri, a lord choice that was designed to make him a brawler lord akin to a WoC lord or dwarf lord:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amadri Ironbark, Lord of Arranoc 225 points (Lord Choice)

Profile M WS BS S T W I A Ld Type
Amadri 5 6 6 5 5 4 6 5 10 Monstrous Infantry (Character)

Equipment:
- Hand Weapon

Special Rules:
- Fear
- Flammable
- Forest Spirit
- Scaly Skin (2+)
- Eternal Hatred (Demons of Slaanesh and models with the Mark of Slaanesh)
- Dawnstrike

Dawnstrike: When Amadri finally passed from the world of living, Amadri summoned a new
body of dead timber as tree kin do, but also incorporated parts of his broken weapon
Dawnspear into his limbs, so that every time Amadri strikes a blow, his foes are blinded
by a flash of light.

Any enemy unit or character successfully struck by Amadri in close combat suffer a -1 to
hit Amadri and any unit he is with until the end of his next close combat phase.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't really sure on his points value, but I thought 225 was a good place to start balancing the cost
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

@sunstrider- I like it! The stats look balanced, the points seem fine too. The way that you incorporated the old Dawnspear into the rules is cool. :D

I'd love to use him.
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

A lil' bit of thread necromancy...

My vision of Amadri Ironbark in accordance with Archaon and Throgg special rules....

Amadri Ironbark, Lord of Arranoc 275 points (Lord Choice)

Profile M WS BS .S .T W .I .A .Ld Type
______5__7__6_5_5_4_4_5_9__MI

Equipment: Dawn Talons

Special rules: Fear; Forest Spirits; Lord of the Summerstrand; Haunted by Nightmares; Ironbark;

Lord of the Summerstrand: In a times of great wars fallen veterans of the times when Amadri was an elven lord fill his army ranks with their spirits embodied into dreaded tree carcasses. Amadri is a known and beloved leader, so the loyalty of his minions is unmatched even in death. One unit of Treekin may be taken as a core choice. This unit is called "Ironbark's Spirit Guard". They may take all command choices (including Musician and Standard Bearer). If the Standard Bearer is taken, the unit may take a Magic Banner up to 75 Pts. Amadri Ironbark is always an Army General with the range of 18'' of his Inspiring Presence.

Haunted by Nightmares: It is unkown what sufferings Amadri had to endure during the capture by the Daemonettes. Though it steeled his resolve, he uses all his willpower to withstand the insanity brought by the past tortures. Hatred [Slaanesh]. At the start of the player's turn, roll a D3. Now the following rules apply to him and his unit until next player's turn. If the '1' is rolled, Frenzy; if the '2' is rolled, Stupidity; if the '3' is rolled, Stubborn.

Ironbark: The great was the imbue of Daith and greatest lifeweavers into the barked skin of the Amadri for they didn't want to lose great lord once again. . Grants Scaly Skin (2+), Magic Resistance (2), Flesh to Stone (Bound Spell).

Dawn Talons: The shards of the famous Dawn Spear were recovered near the dead Amadri body and later restructured and improved by Daith into deadly weapon of Lord of Arranoc reborn. Later many enemies were fallen blinded by the imbearable shine of his talons. Magic weapon. Armor Piercing. Enemy unit model suffers -1 to hit in close combat with Amadri Ironbark and unit he is in.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Aemir_II wrote:A lil' bit of thread necromancy...

My vision of Amadri Ironbark in accordance with Archaon and Throgg special rules....

Amadri Ironbark, Lord of Arranoc 275 points (Lord Choice)

Profile M WS BS .S .T W .I .A .Ld Type
______5__7__6_5_5_4_4_5_9__MI

Equipment: Dawn Talons

Special rules: Fear; Forest Spirits; Lord of the Summerstrand; Haunted by Nightmares; Ironbark;

Lord of the Summerstrand: In a times of great wars fallen veterans of the times when Amadri was an elven lord fill his army ranks with their spirits embodied into dreaded tree carcasses. Amadri is a known and beloved leader, so the loyalty of his minions is unmatched even in death. One unit of Treekin may be taken as a core choice. This unit is called "Ironbark's Spirit Guard". They may take all command choices (including Musician and Standard Bearer). If the Standard Bearer is taken, the unit may take a Magic Banner up to 75 Pts. Amadri Ironbark is always an Army General with the range of 18'' of his Inspiring Presence.

Haunted by Nightmares: It is unkown what sufferings Amadri had to endure during the capture by the Daemonettes. Though it steeled his resolve, he uses all his willpower to withstand the insanity brought by the past tortures. Hatred [Slaanesh]. At the start of the player's turn, roll a D3. Now the following rules apply to him and his unit until next player's turn. If the '1' is rolled, Frenzy; if the '2' is rolled, Stupidity; if the '3' is rolled, Stubborn.

Ironbark: The great was the imbue of Daith and greatest lifeweavers into the barked skin of the Amadri for they didn't want to lose great lord once again. . Grants Scaly Skin (2+), Magic Resistance (2), Flesh to Stone (Bound Spell).

Dawn Talons: The shards of the famous Dawn Spear were recovered near the dead Amadri body and later restructured and improved by Daith into deadly weapon of Lord of Arranoc reborn. Later many enemies were fallen blinded by the imbearable shine of his talons. Magic weapon. Armor Piercing. Enemy unit model suffers -1 to hit in close combat with Amadri Ironbark and unit he is in.
Now you're talking! I particularly like the Treekin having full command. I think that this would really make a difference to their performance. I still wouldn't make them core especially with the buff.

That Treekin unit would have MR2. That's pretty cool.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

It's a nice character. But I have some points.

I find point pricing difficult since endtimes points and pre- end time points seem very differently (look up the 600 point verminlords and compare with Orion, Orion will die 3x before he kills a verminlord I think).

I think the "imbearable" shine from something as small as talons is a bit too much though.. -1 to hit can be done ofcourse .. but this fluff doesn't cut it for me... make it spites or something.

And I don't like his treekin as core rule, it's... not enough buffy. It should have something like: for +5 per model you get +1 S.

He's not "balanced" as a character.. only defense (I know you want to create the perfect tarpit.. but still it feels off. I think 2+ and MR2 and a bound spell is too much.
Wu Kong
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Goblins

Post by Wu Kong »

I agree with Aezeal - "He's not "balanced" as a character.. only defense (I know you want to create the perfect tarpit.. but still it feels off. I think 2+ and MR2 and a bound spell is too much."

I do like the concept, but I'm not terribly familiar with this character in fluff.

I was going to say, I'm surprised no one thought to increase his unit's Ward save to 5++ or something. Or maybe 18" bubble, Forest Spirits have a 5++ save, or even, "If the army consists entirely of "forest spirits," then their ward save is increased from 6++ to 5++."

Or maybe have him make their forest spirit saves a throwback to 7ed(5++, doesn't work against magic attacks.)

I kind of like the idea of having him lead an army of Trees, and as long as they are ALL trees, then they get a bonus to their ward save, effectively making them like Daemons. Traemons, if you will! :smoke: