James Wood Elf house rules and my version of 8th Ed Asrai

Post ideas and develop rules or stats for whatever you want in here. Asrai units as well as other races

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

James Wood Elf house rules and my version of 8th Ed Asrai

Post by Jamesaet3 »

House Rules
Hatred is Army specific
Always strikes first is only to the front
Charge is not 2d6 its only d3 for infantry/beasts/
Charge is extra d6 for cavalry/monstrous cavalry/monstrous beasts Extra charge is only useable if a successful leadership test is made
Counter charge: May elect to prepare for a counter charge at the beginning of the turn. Only able to countercharge to the front. If the unit is charged and is not prepared for a counter charge may use leadership to counter, only if that unit has a full command.
Lone Characters can countercharge whether they are prepared or not, only to the front.
NO MEASURING before anything, only after you declare what you are going to do.
Frenzy models must charge If they are double their movement to targets they can charge.
If using warmachines, cannot declare ten inches from the back of the base, must guess the distance then shoot.
Skirmishers have 360* line of sight for shooting and charging
Skirmishers do not form a unit if charged, or charging, they bring as many models to the front that they can.
Lone characters have 360* line of sight for shooting and charging when not in a unit, not for magic
Light woods, -1 to shoot into and through can move through, charge is dangerous terrain check for cavalry on a 1, chariots on 1 and 2
Heavy woods can only see 2inches into confer -2 to shoot into. Can move through, double movement, charge is dangerous terrain on 1 for infantry, 1 and 2 for cavalry,
Chariots suffer d6 wounds if marching or charging through or in heavy woods. For moving in heavy wood chariots fail the dangerous terrain on 1,2,3.
impassable woods cannot see through or shoot through or move through, just too nasty. Can use magic to move and attack with.
Flying models can charge into woods but must take the appropriate dangerous terrain check. Can't fly out of heavy woods, must walk out.
Fast Cavalry can shoot 360* and all can see.
Monstrous cavalry ridden by characters count as ridden monsters, so therefore, when being shot at, randomize hits as standard.

MAGIC:
Winds of Magic:
Casting dice can never be more than one plus your magic level. So a level 1 can only use two dice, level 4 can only throw 5. Items that give you more, can give you more.
Generate Casting: You can never have less than your casters level in casting dice, nor in your dispel dice. Items that remove casting or dispel dice, do so after you generate your full dice.
Magic weapons do not automatically give you magical attacks, they must say magical attacks on the magic item or weapon.
A sword of might confers +1 strength to the wielder, not magical attacks.

Shooting:

Volley Fire (All the archers raise their bows to the sky and rain down a hail of arrows) add half the base range of the ranged weapon. So, a longbow has 30 inches, volley fire adds 15 inches, so the total range is 45. Strength is -1 when using volley fire. All archers may fire when using volley fire. May not move when using volley fire.
Warmachines may not use high aim, they are already powerful enough.

Use the to wound chart from 7th edition
And victory points from 7th edition

Wood Elf Changes
Treeman, Treekin, Dryads, have barkskin

All forest spirits have 5+ ward save against everything.
All wood elf units with bows have Hawkeye, reroll to hit at short range
All mages can take life and beasts and athel loren.
All wood elf mages get +1 when casting from athel loren
All wood elf mages know treesinging. +1 to cast
Lvl 4 glamourweave are loremasters for athel loren or life or beasts.
Glamourweave also have hatred vs orcs and goblins, beastman, vampire counts.
As do wild rider kindred
Lvl 4 spellweaver may take shadow for 35 pts, cannot use his leadership, cannot be the general.

Highborn has bs 7
May take a longspear (lance)
Wild rider kindred may take a longspear (lance) as well

Treeman ancient has t7, 6 attacks. Hatred vs dwarves, vampire counts, beast man, brettonia, orcs and goblins. Skaven. Rooted to the ground.
All treeman move 6 and have treewhack and treesinging.

No more eternal kindred, or scout kindred.
Alter kindred highborn and noble get +1T
Waywatcher Kindred Highborn shoots as many times as he attacks and has sniper ability, as long as he does not use magic bows or arrows. And does not suffer penalties for long range. Lethal shot is at short and long range 60 pts. Cannot join units or be the army general.

Treeman has hatred vs vampire counts and orcs and goblins and beastman, brettonia

Glade guard can take normal longbows for 10 pts, gglb 12, or composite bows. 14pts
If armed with composite longbows, glade guard units cannont move or march and shoot.
Glade guard scouts can take different bows.
May wear light armor. For 2 pts
Eternal Guard are core troops.
Dryads shapeshift and are 20pts a model and have 5+ armor
Warhawk riders are 30 pts a model and have 5+ armor save from flightgear shortbow, Longspear and can have command units.
Wardancers have swiftstride.
Treekin have barkskin and hatred vs orcs and goblins, and beastman.

Waywatchers have traps if charged in a wood.

Glade riders have light armor and shield. May take different bows.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: James Wood Elf house rules and my version of 8th Ed Asra

Post by Jamesaet3 »

If you would like an explanation for a specific rule, please feel free to ask me and I will be more than happy to explain it to you!
wildZguy09
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves, space marines

Post by wildZguy09 »

How do your opponents feel about the rules because IMHO i would not play with some of them rules. Also I take it you prefer 7th edition over 8th
Beastweaver + Tree man ancient = S9+T9+A9. Yay :)
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Oh I just posted this none of my opponents know about it. House rules for the most part. And yes I do prefer 7th edition rules to 8th edition rules, especially when it comes to terrain and skirmishers.

What rules don't you like?
And most of the rules are pre existing rules for the wood elves.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Looks more like modified 7th edition rules than 8th edition. What's the stats for a Composite Bow, Shapeshift, Rooted to the Ground, Flightgear Shortbow, Barkskin, and Traps? What different bows are you talking about for Glade Guard Scouts / Glade Riders?

Also, can you refresh me what the difference is between the 7th and 8th edition To Wound charts? Don't have a 7th edition rulebook handy presently.

Overall, it's an interesting block of rules changes, though it feels like more base system changes than Wood Elven ones.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I remember back in the days, if your strength was too low then you simply couldnt wound a high toughness model. Back then treemen had 7 toughness so they were immune to strength 3 attacks. They also had "rooted to the spot" which meant that they would never flee unless wounded.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Certainly,

Rooted to the spot meant that if the treeman didn't suffer any wounds he was unbreakable, "rooted to the spot".

7th edition to wound chart was such that if you were to tough, you couldn't be wounded by understrength foes.

Composite Bows are stronger, therefore you can shoot farther "36inches" or no penalties for long range, not sure yet.

Shapeshift allowed the dryads to either get +1s, +1t, -1to hit, like dances for wardancers.

Flight gear is just a special term for light armor for flying cavalry, its cold flying high and fast in the wind, so flight gear helps keep the rider safe and warm.

Shortbow is just a shortbow... come on now.

Barkskin is because treeman and dryads and treekin don't have scales, they have bark, barkskin.

Waywatchers used to be able to deploy traps if they were charged in a forest.

And the different bows for glade guard, glade scouts, glade riders are just normal bows, glade guard longbows, and composite longbows like I talked about.

So mostly rules that used to be used by the wood elves, so nothing new or special, just the different bows, but it does talk about a certain type of wood that is used to make really good bows, I believe scarlocs wood elves use them.

You can find all these rules in the old rule book!
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Also In the previous WE rulebook, WE longbows had a range of 36" and caused a -1 save modifier.
I prefer the old book's range rule and the new book's str 4 at short range rule.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Yes they did, hence, the composite longbows.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

So I just lost quite badly to a three way battle, I actually put myself in the middle. I knew that if I was in the corner I would only go one way, so tried something new. My Left flank had Lizardmen, and my right flank had skaven. I had my treeman, waywatchers and treekin and spellweaver on the right. What I should've done was put my highborn and bsb over there as well, maybe then I could've won against the unit that took my treekin away.

Also, make sure you still try and corner your army, even if you are in the middle.

I know I talked about this but make sure you always have a helping unit nearby. This is totally true with wood elves, we can barely stand toe to toe with most units. Always have your bsb or your general around to help keep you in the fight.

Dryads are a lifesaver if used correctly. Take care of your glade riders, they are more important than you think.

Your wild riders need to be handled just like your glade riders. But used much the same way as dryads.

And I can't wait for my level ones to use beast just to get wyssans wildform.

Oh yes, lizardmen terradon flyers are much more nasty than you think. The whole drop rocks thing is crazy, totally took out my glade riders. my warhawk riders have nothing on these guys.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Lets put a lock on this or delete it, no reason to keep this up.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Your wish is my command :D
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah