Trying to put a 8th WE Army book

Post ideas and develop rules or stats for whatever you want in here. Asrai units as well as other races

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Re: Trying to put a 8th WE Army book

Post by Sunshine coconut »

Umm other thing is I noticed a few spelling errors.

I don't really care about them since my writing is worse but let me know if you want some pointed out. Maybe I can PM you so this thread doesn't get inundated with rubbish posts!
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
XViper
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by XViper »

Seems to have been deleted now anyway.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

XViper wrote:Seems to have been deleted now anyway.

yup been deleting old and putting up new updates, Check 2nd last message of Pg 1 :)
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Thanks for the returns !

I just have time today to post a quick update since HE have arrived...so I adjusted the costs of characters and chariots, modified the Bow of Loren, and made a small adjustment to Summer Enlighters.

I'm indeed interested in a PM with spelling errors ;).

To answer your questions :
- yes for WW. Might seem strong, but you need a Highborn in it...

- only numbers of hits for Deepwoods Hexer, just like the Deepwood Sphere from today :)

- Dispelling. The choice of dispelling is, seeing the BRB, after an opponent cast a spell. Same rule applies here. :nod:

TK have lost points to align them with other special MI from 8th edition. As such, they are, however, not very usefull (not that strong, slow, but really sturdy), hence the Woodland Ambush for 10pts. It's better to see them as 60pts with Woodland Ambush ;). In my games, they did not appear broken at all for 50pts, but other returns are welcome :)

Hope you find someone to play with :). So far, it appeared on part with other 8th AB. Good, but not broken, fun to play with and against.

I'm putting a link here and on first message ;)
Wood Elves Army Book 8th Xlatoc

Also a question, since this has been proposed :
For Wardancer Weapons, as Son of Sanguinus said : choice between GW or 2 one handed weapons every turn ? Would that be good, too strong, simple ?
XViper
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by XViper »

Just having a look through this now, and it looks really good.

I have noticed quite a few grammar mistakes already (perfectly understandable).
Would you be open to me going through and sending you corrections in proper English where applicable?
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Yes, as I said earlier, I'll welcome any help correcting my English (I made my best and I'm not bad, but updating and updating again and again at unhealthy hours is not a good idea ;) ). So thanks a lot :)
XViper
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by XViper »

Sorry didn't notice that. :)
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Sounds good. Still not sure if being in front of the enemy makes sense (Thinking of a reality setting)
But the others sound good, but you might want to mention them in your rules, just so there is no "rubber ruling" when using it ;)
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Yep, of course you do not deploy them in front of the ennemy, you'l juste get charged and wiped out :) You may, however, put them just behind/nex to to a unit/warmachine. The idea is : no way you can escape from Waywatchers with their Highborn :sexy:

I will add your rules hints though, just in case, you're right ;).

But before, some news and a question :
I tested the WD with 2 A...was too strong...
I choose to give them, instead of a choice between weapon, a S+1 all the time with wardancers weapons. Seemed fair and prevented them from getting S5 without I think is not appropriate for them...

I'm also having second thoughts about the Lore Attribute. It's quite nice but only on paper. Plus, I think the army still lack some interaction with forests.

Sooo, I was thinking about changing the Treesinging capacity to ONLY move forests (but with friendly or ennemy units in it), and a Lore Attribute like this

For every spell from the Lore of Athel Loren or Treesinging successfully cast, roll 1D3+1 and choose one, if applicable :
- one friendly unit at least partially in a forest recovers that many Wounds, distributed like the Regrowth spell. (A lone character in a forest is a viable target).
- one ennemy unit at least partially in a forest suffers that many hits at a S5.

What do you think ?
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Addition, thanks Sunshine coconut :

For WW, KB and Multiple Shots X2 gives the same stats against 2+/1+ armour save troops (with S4). So, the choice does not have any interest. To give a real choice, this could work : "choice between Multiple Shots X2 or Ignore armour save at short range".

This, statwise, gives really two different kind of targets and treatments.

What do you think ?
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Update on first message :

- Detailed aknowledgment :)
- Waywatchers
- Wardancers
- Great Eagles
- Special Characters
- Treesinging and Lore of Athel Loren (Description, Attribute, Dawn of the Land, Ariel's Blessing)
- Deepwood Hexer
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

I like that idea more with waywatchers. Also makes up for the point that they aren't expert hunters of creatures outside Athel loren. but can easily see where weak points are/very quick and skilled with bows :)
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

I'm wondering about the price of a TM, seeing what's happening now with non-flying monsters.

With a true ward save and no Strangle root, is 230pts a valid cost ? Would 210-220, even lower maybe would be more equal with the others ?
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

An update on the first post :

- Asrai longbow have Quick to Fire
- Treesinging
- Magic : Dawn of the Land, Ariel's Blessing
- Cost of TM, TMA, Wild Hunters, Meadows Chariot, Oracle, Waywatcher Kindred, Athel Loren Dragon
- Twist for The Wild Hunt special rule.
- 2A for Wardancers, +1A for characters from this Kindred
- Small twist for Talons Whip.
- Dreamwalker can move through units.
- Base size of Forest Beasts.
- Unit size of Meadows Chariots and Faerie Nests.
- Hunter's Talon 20pts
- Stone of Rebirth 30pts, Wand of Life and Death clarified, only one Forest Song Banner.
- Bolas clarified

With the help of XViper, I'm correcting the book. Please feel free to help and report any mispelling you see. :)
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Quickly :

- Dreamwalker can not pass through units but size 100X50
- Wardancers Characters can not take magic weapons (they are very good enough)
- Simpler and less strong Bolas.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Très bonne partie ! Mirror game yesterday : equality :)

The Wand is strong. I'll twist a bit so it's not as much. It allows you to keep a good phase for several turns, but as soon as a magic phase is average/bad, usesell.

Wardancers are strong, even if only a few are alive. But they are still soooooo fragile. They can take down anything if hitting it the right way, but take so muche casualities after/during/before that even before the first fight, they can really be diminished a lot.

Dreamwalker is fine like this (100X50, no "flight"). Quick to fire is essentially usefull when defending a building. Compensate a little for the poor unit inside ;)

Now important question. Should the Noble/Highborn Wardancer keep is +1A. At the moment, it costs 30/45pts and does :

- No bow
- No armour
- No magic weapon, wardancers weapon compulsory (+1S, Extra Attack)
- +1WS
- +1A
- must be on foot
- Tatoos
- Wardances
- Skirmisher
- Immune to Psycho
- Evasive
- Tirckery of Loec
- Highborn only : 3 supporting attacks for the unit

WIth +1A, the Noble deals 5A S5 WS7, 6 strikkes F5 CC8 for the highborn. But, T3 no armour save (unless ward save). WIth the right combo in its unit (costs a lot but hey...), the Noble alone is big pain once in contact. Though is is still pretty exposed and fragile.

Your opinion ?
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

I'm working on a better layout, more GW-style.

If people would like to propose me images or short ambiant texts, you are more than welcome ! :nod:
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

You will find on the first post a link to the current French version, just to give you an insight on what is going on :)

I'm working with some people on the layout and so. The purpose is to be close to an actual AB, but not exactly the same to avoid issues with GW (so not using their images and logo). I do it in French first, for I already have most of the texts in English, so I'll just have to copy them in the model once it's done.

If you want to propose some ambiant texts/drawings, you are more than welcome :)
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

I'll be on holiday starting tomorrow for 2 weeks approximately. I'm still working on the book, it should be finished by the end of August :nod:
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

I'm baaackk !!

I've posted on the first message a link to the finished French version.

It's a full tested and shaped AB, ready to print with a nice 1st page and a summary drawback.

I might need help to translate the small text in English, just to save time, if people want to help.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

There it is, on the first post.

Full English version, ready to be printed front and back. This way you get a nice cover and a summary back for the book.

Tested and approved. Enjoy :)
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Someone pointed a few tricky wording in the Wood Seer rule. I corrected that.

Plus TMA 410 pts, so you can take it with lvl4 at 2500, but since the lvl4 could not be a Glamourweave, you would need another Mage from this Kindred. A lot a points for 2 naked Lords, and a TMA still very vulnerable if naked with I2, Flammable and Mvt 5...You could, but you ouldn't :)

Anyway, I'm gonna print one for me soon :D
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

With ASF going for all Elves and costs harmonized, I've made the same.

You can have it on the first page.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Just a small errata :

The Cape of Feathers gives Skaw the Fly special rule not Hover.

Drycha can only joined an army with unit from no Kindred at all or from the Kindreds of Talu/Kel-Isha.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

So, has anyone else tried the AB ?

In my club, it is now fairly well accepted and played by every WE player. Other people in France tested it to.

I must say, only positive answer, so quite rewarding :) But I know that we Frenchies do not play quite the same way as other nation (especially England), so I'd love to have in-game returns :)