Trying to put a 8th WE Army book

Post ideas and develop rules or stats for whatever you want in here. Asrai units as well as other races

Moderator: Council of Elders

Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Trying to put a 8th WE Army book

Post by Xlatoc »

Hello guys !

More than a year ago, I started to make an Army Book for Asrai in the 8th feel. I scrambled around background and forums collect ideas, I added mine, tested, discussed, and...
AB Wood Elves 8th Xlatoc

It might not be perfet though, but it's the V."lost count", the first one having disappeared with my past computer. I wrote it in English even if I'm French, and tried to make it in my best Shakespeare language ;).

Please enjoy, comment, suggest, insult ;)
Last edited by Xlatoc on 20 Apr 2014, 17:26, edited 24 times in total.
memnon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Trying to put a 8th WE Army book

Post by memnon »

Very nice job! And so many exciting ideas for a new armybook!
Though I don't totally agree with some of them generally it is an inspiring work, I hope the GW designers bare it in mind :nod: :nod:
To me the idea of alter kindred Mo.Infantry is much prefered to treekin since the art of the models can be really cool.
USG_Ishimura
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by USG_Ishimura »

I have enjoyed the army book, some cool stuff I´ve seen heheheh But I find some expensive point cost things, Is it a second tested version?
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Thanks for the positive returns :nod:

Yes, this is a second version, through discussions and tests. But, only few people have tested, so, the more tests and opinions, the better.

There might indeed have some points issues, hopefully just little adjustements needed...Could you say wher you think it should be done ?

Sure, I'd love to and be proud if GW bears this AB in mind :D , but since you can not really contact them, there is little chance it'll ever see it.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Some minor adjustments done after a game against a VC.

Very nice army to play with, keep the WE feeling... :D
Kingraven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kingraven »

This looks like a great re-write clearly alot of effort has gone into it. I will be having a game useing it on saturday hopefuly. You say you'v made adjustments, dont want to have to go through the whole thing so could you just post them?
The aim is to increase the parameters of your enemies paranoia
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Thank you for testing it :) I reeeeaaaaallllyyyy appreciate it :)

I've upgraded the link, so now is the last one.

Most important thing : Treesinging not a spell but a special ability working like a Bound Spell (level power 3), usable once per magic phase by Branchwraith, TM and Spellcrafters, twice by Glamourweaves and TMA.

Herald of the Forest now gives to lone Glamourweaves a 4+ Look Out Sir while 3'' away from a forest.

Otherwise :
Core unit : Spring Runners 11pts

Special Unit : Tree Kin 50pts and have the Dispensable Body rule : may regain D3+1 W at the end of the Move phase if unengaged and 3'' away from a forest

Special unit : Woodland Ambush 10pt/Treekin

Rare unit : WW 24pts, ignore covers given by forests only.

Rare Unit : Dreamwalkers is T4 and W6 can gain additionnal attacks when kiling, but those additional A do not provoque other ones.

Item : Wand of Life and Death cycles is 75pts and do not give bonus dice for Bound Spells and Treesinging

Spell : Dawn of the Land : range is 18'' OR 6'' away from forest/swamp/hill/river.

Spell : Wrath of Athel Loren may not be cast again while already in play

Spite : Verdant Protector cost 25pts for TMA, but can be upragded to cancel the Flammable rule and so cost 35pts

Spite : Hungry Render cost 25pts for TMA and Killing Blow. But a TMA can get an gigantic version for 50pts giving Heroic Killing Blow

Some precisions :
Bonus given by Characters because of their Kindreds only apply to models from the same Kindred.

Item : Acorn of the Oak of Ages : must be used at the begining of Wood Elves player's turn.

Forests Walker : Chariots do not have Forest Striders but lose only 1W when failing a Dangerous Terrain test in forests.

This is all I've done since first post. You may already have an updated version.

Looking for your returns and many thanks again :nod:
Kingraven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kingraven »

Only other piece of advice id give is a layout thing. The Kindred list including the wizard ones would be good if they were on a separate page in the same vein as the sprite list and magic item list. Also I admire having the upgrades in the wood elf language, it does make it very confusing fast as I don’t know which ones are which and it takes a while to go back and fore repeatedly. In the unit entry have the same as it is in the original wood elf army book, so Eternal Guard Kindred or Waywatchers Kindred.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

You're right Kingraven. In the Nobles/Princes entries, I'll add the human name with the Elven name of the Kindreds. :nod:

I'm not sure about puting them on a separate page though, since you might just go back and forth from this page to the model description (what happened to me on the official AB :smoke: )...or I do not understand that point of you
Kingraven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kingraven »

Played the game heres the list i used, game details and thoughts.

Lists 2000
L4, Glamourweave, Deepwood unicorn, Radiant, Talisman of preservation
Alter Noble, Careful weave
3x10Glade Guard, Musician
4xGlade rider, Musician
2x5 Scouts
3 Alters (one unit)
2x5waywatchers
v
L4 wizard, mark of tzeentch, barded horse
L2 marl of tzeentch
L2 mark of Nurgle
Exalted, mark of Knorne, regen crown, shield, juggarnaught
2x10 chaos warrior all with full command, Mark of knorne halberds
10 Chaos warriors with full command, Mark of Nurgle, shields
5 chosen, halberds
Hellcannon
Warshrine mark of Tzeentch

Game-Win, shot up his chosen first turn and 13 warriors by the end of the game. The Warshrine down to 1 Wound from 43 arrows most being at short range. The alter Kin and noble charged the Nurgle unit with sorcerer after losing one guy got twilight host of on them and took the aspect of the bear. Killed 6 of them and the sorcerer and ran them down. Then went on to charge the Hellcannon as Wolves and beat that. Lost a few archers to the cannon, the alter to infernal gateway. One unit of scouts and waywatchers to charges from the juggarnaught and a glade rider unit after being ran down after doing Shoot and Flee to the sorcerer. L4 shoot to death last turn.

Typo
-I assume the +1E under Aspect of the Bear is meant to be +1T.
Magic
-I played Treesinging as a bound level 3 and it worked fine. As a special ability it seemed to strong. Plus you could flood the board with Treeman and Glamourweave auto use the ability and use the lore attribute to get quite a few dispel dice in the opponent’s magic phase.
-really liked the lore got 0,2,3,5. Think Gaze of Loren should be the first spell and dawn of the land signature but that’s a personnel preference.

New units-
-The alter Kindred and Oracle is a very cool unit.
-Surprised you haven’t put in an elite Archer cav unit. Multiply shot 3 with the shoot and flee rule tattoos standard, can move into one wood and auto move to another wood carrying on their remaining move as if it’s one big forest, cant charge using that rule.
-If you did the above id remove the shoot and flee from the normal glade riders don’t think they really need it. If you were going to do an all horse list the special rules from the noble Glade rider kindred would be enough to highlight their speed.
-Kindred’s are really well done and make it easy to theme a list. Would say it would be easier to follow if you lay out all effect in the same as when you described the rules for tree sprit i.e. bullet point.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Big thank for the return, and congrats on your victory :thumbsup: Seemend pretty close though, so well-balanced :). You had a really interesting list.

Typo
- Thanks for seeing it ! Corrected

Magic :
- I may have expressed myself very baldy...Treesinging is indeed a bound spell (just put it in Special Abilities since it is posessed by several characters). However, using it only triggers the lore attribute (a small chance of the opponent losing a dispel dice), that does not give you additionnal dispel dice on the opponent magic phase, even with the Wand of Cycles. That is way too strong. :nod: .
Allowing the Lore attribute on it means, if you use it three times in a magic phase (so 3 power dice used, 1 failed 2 succesful) and it is NOT dispelled, you get 44% chance your opponent lose 1 dispel dice, 44% it loses 2 dispel dice. Which is not that powerful, considering you used 3 dice and he might just let go that spell, he will statistically lose less. My point is I don't think that, if played the way I intend to "make" it, and maybe I'm just to bad at explaining it (sorry...), it's not a "no brainer always use it" bound spell. You have to think about it.
What I do think, however, is that your list with lots of skirmishers, and only 2000pts, could really take advantage of that spell. On my games (2999pts), it was not that predominent.
- cool :) Do you think 5 is overpowered ?

Unit
- Yeah they are a lot of fun !
- Honestly, I never thought of that, thanks for the idea ! My only concern about it would be...how to include it in the list ? (already many many choice...) Maybe a Lost Kindred unit (counting as Allies) or a special unit coming with another special character. 'Cause what you're proposing is reaaly strong (teleport is...arg).
- I'll see if I can put it like you said, in a more...reader-friendly way :)

Thanks again !

EDIT 24/12 : last version posted
Kingraven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kingraven »

hi, been giving this some thought over the xmas period. Hope you don thtink im ovver stepping the mark.

Special Rules
-I notice you have no Asrai Archery type ability, is that intentional?

Magic
-I completely miss read the lore attribute. I thought and played it as for each successful spell I cast on a 3+i got an extra dispel dice in my opponent’s magic phase. After reading your explanation I clearly see that it isn’t an auto include or broken. That’s my bad.
- I assume you mean 5 the spell?, I think the wood elf lore would be maybe one of maybe 4 lore’s I think could have a spell which does this (Light, Shadow, Vampire Counts and Wood elf’s) . I think the order of 3, 4 and 5 isn’t a neat fit.
- I mean 3, regen in the Ogre Kingdoms book is cast on a 12+/20 has the same effect but doesn’t turn existing Regen into normal Ward. I think that is powerful and the argument can be made its broken.
I’d suggest either 1, increasing the casting cost ,2 decreasing the Regen number to 5+,3 remove the effect multiple friendly units and leave the casting value alone.
-Kurnous’ Blessing I think the beefed up version may be better as an increased version which still only affects one unit. I.e. 3d6 movement or +1A and Re-roll to wound. As we have allot of movement but this lets us charge without giving the opportunity to stand and shoot, also as what’s meant to be the fasted army in the game spectrum this a movement spell which lets use charge is totally unique.
-Twilight host is the only spell here i think would be good as an affect all friendly units within 6” on the higher casting level.

Units
-Concerning the Forest Beasts Rout, What base size are they? also I fail to see the benefit of them over say the other chooses.
-The Wandering Herds, again I’m having problems with what use it has. Is it a Mangler Squig esque type unit?
-the elite archer unit i suggested was just a throw away idea I don’t expect it to be given any thought. But I’ve read several Fan made wood elf army books and not one had elite archer cav. If you did give them thought i would suggest a high volume shooting unit, as that’s one ability this book doesn’t have anywhere and might be fun.
-i want to make sure i v understood this right, Archmage, if I want a Wood shaper 200p; i need to auto upgrade to a Yenayla (Glamourweave) as a Kel-Isha is only for the spellweaver. For that 20p i get herald of the forest and forest sprit. But also must take a mount and no magic items. On top of that i need to take a Glamourweave as a Wood-seer. This gives me a slightly different Herald of the Forest abilty. My point if that is true, would it not be simpler to make the lookout Sir Benefit of the wood Seer ability an amendment to the herald of the forest rule. EG
--Wood seer, the model with Herald of the Forest special rule who is your Wood-Seer, may benefit from a lookout Sir roll when 3” away from any friendly unit or Terrain piece which isn’t a building, ruin or open terrain.
(iv included nearly all natural terrain pieaces as i think the benfit isnt that great when compared to the negative if he dies.)

Layout- Again a few things i think would change to make using the book easier.
-numbers in the lore
-my earlier note about changing the name of the kindred’s was more aimed at changing the names of the kindred upgrades in the Army list as well as in the unit entry.

Typo- missing the end G under special rules, Wood Shaper, Treesinging in the army list
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Thanks again for the comments (sorry for disappearing a few weeks...)
Special Rules
-I notice you have no Asrai Archery type ability, is that intentional?
Yes, it's all in the Asrai Longbow ;)
- I assume you mean 5 the spell?, I think the wood elf lore would be maybe one of maybe 4 lore’s I think could have a spell which does this (Light, Shadow, Vampire Counts and Wood elf’s) . I think the order of 3, 4 and 5 isn’t a neat fit.
- I mean 3, regen in the Ogre Kingdoms book is cast on a 12+/20 has the same effect but doesn’t turn existing Regen into normal Ward. I think that is powerful and the argument can be made its broken.
I’d suggest either 1, increasing the casting cost ,2 decreasing the Regen number to 5+,3 remove the effect multiple friendly units and leave the casting value alone.
-Yes, I thought about that. In fact, I made the spell using the TK Ward Save spell as a reference. Then, I saw the Ogre Kingdom one.... :paranoid: Given some thoughts, I assume that it is cast on 12+ because of the high T of Ogres, making them even more hard to Wound, whereas skeletons have T3....I decided to stick with my first idea because elves have T3 and Spirits have a 5+WS so do not take a lot of benefit from a 4+ Regen...But I may be wrong.
Transforming a Regen in a Ward was just an idea to make the spell usefull on every model, but it's far from compulsory...
-Kurnous’ Blessing I think the beefed up version may be better as an increased version which still only affects one unit. I.e. 3d6 movement or +1A and Re-roll to wound. As we have allot of movement but this lets us charge without giving the opportunity to stand and shoot, also as what’s meant to be the fasted army in the game spectrum this a movement spell which lets use charge is totally unique.
-This was the first upgraded version. I changed it because...well the character is howling so a radius of effect just felt..."cooler" :paranoid: . You think it's broken ?
-Twilight host is the only spell here i think would be good as an affect all friendly units within 6” on the higher casting level.
- 6''...isn't it a bit to small ? I mean, WE do not tend to regroup units, usually. 12'' would be broken. 6'' to short ? Any other opinions ?
Units
-Concerning the Forest Beasts Rout, What base size are they? also I fail to see the benefit of them over say the other chooses.
-The Wandering Herds, again I’m having problems with what use it has. Is it a Mangler Squig esque type unit?
-the elite archer unit i suggested was just a throw away idea I don’t expect it to be given any thought. But I’ve read several Fan made wood elf army books and not one had elite archer cav. If you did give them thought i would suggest a high volume shooting unit, as that’s one ability this book doesn’t have anywhere and might be fun.
-i want to make sure i v understood this right, Archmage, if I want a Wood shaper 200p; i need to auto upgrade to a Yenayla (Glamourweave) as a Kel-Isha is only for the spellweaver. For that 20p i get herald of the forest and forest sprit. But also must take a mount and no magic items. On top of that i need to take a Glamourweave as a Wood-seer. This gives me a slightly different Herald of the Forest abilty. My point if that is true, would it not be simpler to make the lookout Sir Benefit of the wood Seer ability an amendment to the herald of the forest rule. EG
--Wood seer, the model with Herald of the Forest special rule who is your Wood-Seer, may benefit from a lookout Sir roll when 3” away from any friendly unit or Terrain piece which isn’t a building, ruin or open terrain.
(iv included nearly all natural terrain pieaces as i think the benfit isnt that great when compared to the negative if he dies.)
- Forest Beasts...I thought, since they are WB, the only size is 25*50 ? Overall, they bring rank for "cheap", and random movement allow them to charge units that tend to flee/shoot and stand and so, in other word, units that tend to be a pain for us.
- Yes, Wandering Herds are a Mangler Squig type unit. But more random and so...well more fun ;)
- OK, we might work on the elite FC later ?
- Glamourweave may take magic item, they just are not limited to one Spite. You're right about the amendment to the Herald of the Forest, it would be simpler. I'll do something. Every terrain piece is not broken ?

I'll improve the layout to. Didn't I changed the name in both Army list and unit entry ? Or I did not get it right ? :crazy:

Thanks again !
BTW, I sent it to GW, but that do not prevent us to improve it :)
Kingraven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kingraven »

No probelm we all have lives.

-I thought Quick to fire meant you could always stand and shoot. My bad for not looking. Means all the shooting IV done over last 3 games where with movement modifiers.
-You have a point comparing the effects of the spell on T3 and T4, except the TK spell only gives a 5+ ward save not a 4+ Regen save and or a 4+ Ward save. Considering the comparison id say lost the Ward Save but as nearly everything in the book would benefit from the Regen and only the eternal guard would benefit from the Ward save.

-(kurnous’ Blessing)I don’t think it’s broken at all, just that there isn’t a chose. You could have units rushing forward when you don’t want them to. But that just a preference.

-(Twilight Host) you are right, I do think area of effect is better but 6” is a bit short and 12” to bug. Leave it as is as I have no suggestions.

-Forest beasts I thought as much just wanted to check, not a fan of the random number of attacks but the points per beast is low to compensate which is fine, id drop the unit size down to 5+beats and 1 pack master, so you can have a fast none flying chaff unit. Like supped up giant rats. Could also move this unit to core if you dropped the unit size.
The Bolas rues do they over rule the rules for Monster and handler where the handlers can attack any one in base contact with monster?

-The wandering Herds strength and toughness looks a bit high for the description. But ids rarely use this unit so ill leave it to your best judgment.

-(Wood Shaper)I just checked your right I glossed over the entry and it can have magic items.
I don’t think it is too powerful, if we have a Wood Seer you’ll either keep it in a unit in which case it’ll get the 2+ look out sir roll. If it is outside a unit in all cases except ruins, buildings and open ground it’ll get a 4+ look out sir roll if it’s within 3” of a unit or terrain. Considering if this guy dies our army starts to panic I think we’ll be extra careful keeping it in units or out of line of sight. My point being the rule won’t be relied upon in most cases but is a nice buffer in case we make a error.

-you did change the kindred names to English I was looking at the old edition when I wrote that.

-Your sister sof twilight and dawn don’t have the option for the eagle Gwindalor?

Gave a crack at the Archer cav unit, there are a step up over the spring runners . again just suggestions.
Summer Howlers
Older Spring Runners after many years running with their brethren take to horse back and carry their own brand of manic impulse to the wider world around Loren. Riding where ever they choose through all terrain letting the simple thrill of the rushing air in their hair guide them. Making use of the custom Asrai short bows smaller size and ease of use they send volleys of accurate arrows into the packed enemy’s units not necessary kill them but to get them to chase the Howlers.
Summer Howlers Special 27P per model
Summer Howlers M5 WS4 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
Summer Bellower M5 WS4 BS5 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8
Elven Steed M9 WS3 BS0 S3 T3 W1 I A LD8,
Unit size 5+, Calvary
Equipment-Asrai Short bow, hand weapon, Talismanic Tattoos.
Upgrades- 1 Spring Howler to Spring Bellower for 10p
The unit may have one Seasons Spite for 40p
Special rules- World Walkers, Brayers, Shoot and charge, Scornful and Scorned at, Fast cavalry
World Walkers- The unit has the Strider special rule which applies to all terrain types except buildings.
Brayers- The unit always counts as having a musician.
Asrai Short bow Range 18 S3 Special rules Quick to fire, multiply shot (3)
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Yeah, not too sure about the WE 8th edition you've got.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

-You have a point comparing the effects of the spell on T3 and T4, except the TK spell only gives a 5+ ward save not a 4+ Regen save and or a 4+ Ward save. Considering the comparison id say lost the Ward Save but as nearly everything in the book would benefit from the Regen and only the eternal guard would benefit from the Ward save.
Someone was proposing to give the Eternal Guard à 5+ Regen instead of a 4+. That way, I could let the Ariel Blessing be a 4+ Ward Save (could still be cast on Eternal Guard). Or just let it as it is, not touching the Eternal Guard and not allowing the Ward Save.
-Forest beasts I thought as much just wanted to check, not a fan of the random number of attacks but the points per beast is low to compensate which is fine, id drop the unit size down to 5+beats and 1 pack master, so you can have a fast none flying chaff unit. Like supped up giant rats. Could also move this unit to core if you dropped the unit size.
The Bolas rues do they over rule the rules for Monster and handler where the handlers can attack any one in base contact with monster?
Yep, you're totally right about unit size. A core unit, why not, but wouldn't it be a bit strange, since Laith-Kourn are not very numerous ? Though they represent only few models in a unit. If so, I'd change the bonus for Alter Higborn to : Forest Beasts Routs unit 12" away from an Alter Highborn may re-roll their random attack dice.

Yes for Bolas, since PackMasters can not attack. Maybe they are too weak ? I thought so as Special, but in Core...
-(Wood Shaper)I just checked your right I glossed over the entry and it can have magic items.
I don’t think it is too powerful, if we have a Wood Seer you’ll either keep it in a unit in which case it’ll get the 2+ look out sir roll. If it is outside a unit in all cases except ruins, buildings and open ground it’ll get a 4+ look out sir roll if it’s within 3” of a unit or terrain. Considering if this guy dies our army starts to panic I think we’ll be extra careful keeping it in units or out of line of sight. My point being the rule won’t be relied upon in most cases but is a nice buffer in case we make a error.
You're right, I'll work on something like this. I just have to finish another writing job before ;)
-Your sister sof twilight and dawn don’t have the option for the eagle Gwindalor?
No they don't. Personal judgement, I just do not like it and do not see the point of giving them an Eagle :o . Their all purpose is to field a Dragon, as far as I'm concerned ;)

I like your cavalry :)
I'd just give them a Standard, Spear and a S4 at short range.
Making them an "upgraded" Spring Runners raises however other questions : what about Scornfull and Scorned at ? Shoot and charge ?

Maybe use the "Lost Kindred", as wandering raiders, explaining the "Lost" must come back to war because of the state of the world. Or Equos veteran (but Shoot and Flee ?). Rare/Special troop with a limitation (one unit only), with Wythel Longbow (Same as Asrai but Multiple Shoot (3) ?

Yeah, not too sure about the WE 8th edition you've got.
I'm sorry Jamesaet3, what do you mean ? :paranoid:

Again, I'm looking forward to other tests :) I might do one tonight...
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

I've made an update, including the Elite Cavalry unit, and another new one people thought about in the French forum.

AB Wood Elves 8th

Please enjoy :nod:
knightlyknave
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by knightlyknave »

I didn't read it all through yet but I like the army book. Thanks for putting so much work into making the WE better!

I really liked the Woodland Wardens change up. That works better with the new terrain selection rules than the "Just add a forest" ability that is the default.

I had a couple suggestions if you're open to that. If not you can ignore the rest of this message.

I was thinking that the Twilight Host ability doesn't really fit with the WE. They don't have any ethereal units and making a unit ethereal even for one round is very powerful. Ethereal units are usually very expensive in any other army, so much so that you can't field more than a few in a unit. I would recommend just making them "Ethereal for the purposes of movement only" and that'll still give them the ability to move around the battlefield without making them invincible for a round to anyone without magical weapons.

I think the Wardancers are problematic being Skirmishers. They have Skirmish yet they have abilities that also depend on ranks. The one that lets them make supporting attacks, does that even work when they have zero ranks? Skirmishers have been majorly nerfed in 8th edition. I recommend just taking out Skirmishing entirely for them, or make it a free upgrade in case someone really wants it. They could just cherry pick the good skirmisher rules under different special rules you make up in order to avoid the zero ranks problem.

Can the bolas be used to make a stand a shoot reaction? I think that it's a neat idea since those are throwing weapons anyway.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Thanks for your returns Knightlyknave :)

I'll answer your points.

I really liked the Woodland Wardens change up. That works better with the new terrain selection rules than the "Just add a forest" ability that is the default.
Since terrain are generated randomly like in 4-5th, using the 4-5th rule was logical. Besides, the actual wood is useless since unit are much bigger now, and the battlefield already crowded with terrain pieces ;)

I was thinking that the Twilight Host ability doesn't really fit with the WE. They don't have any ethereal units and making a unit ethereal even for one round is very powerful. Ethereal units are usually very expensive in any other army, so much so that you can't field more than a few in a unit. I would recommend just making them "Ethereal for the purposes of movement only" and that'll still give them the ability to move around the battlefield without making them invincible for a round to anyone without magical weapons.
The Secret Path spell in the 6th Army Book does what you suggest. In fact, I've always found it to be pretty useless : if you really want to protect a unit with it, the opponent will make efforts to dissipate it, or just concentrate fire on something else. He can also just charge the protected unit : flee or stand and die for you. Great on paper, not that much on play, but maybe I'm just playing it wrong.
On the other hand, magical attacks are more common now : lots of ethereal in VC, magic weapons for Chaos Knights and Tomb Kings, more wizards and heroes so more spells and magic weapons for Empire and O&G, whereas we lack even more contact protection because of the big units, and have to go to contact...
So, it appeared to me that what was clearly broken on 6-7E was no that cheesy on 8E. As long as the casting value is high enough and the range not very long (18"). As for now, the spell as always been usefull but not broken. Maybe also because never used on Empire (but hey, one weapon against an army, especially a spell, is not a perfect weapon :nod: ).
I think the Wardancers are problematic being Skirmishers. They have Skirmish yet they have abilities that also depend on ranks. The one that lets them make supporting attacks, does that even work when they have zero ranks? Skirmishers have been majorly nerfed in 8th edition. I recommend just taking out Skirmishing entirely for them, or make it a free upgrade in case someone really wants it. They could just cherry pick the good skirmisher rules under different special rules you make up in order to avoid the zero ranks problem.
You're right, it a big problem for them being Skirmishers. But I just can not manage to go as far as making them RnF units, because they used to be (4-5E) even more than Skirmishers : complete freedom of movement and formation, even on contact ! They might even have been the first Skirmishers or so in the game. Taking that from them is too hard for me :cry: . But if you come if a cool RnF setting for them, feel free to share and we might give them :nod: .
Anyway, about your question : the zero rank is just for combat resolution. A Skirmishers unit has ranks, they just do not count for CR and disrupting ranks.

Can the bolas be used to make a stand a shoot reaction? I think that it's a neat idea since those are throwing weapons anyway.
Honestly I never thought about that, but it is indeed a neat idea :nod: How would you play it ? They are already fired at the begining of the combat phase, so it more or less similar. Give them an actual weapon profile ?

I'll have a battle against Empire tonight. I'll give you a report soon :D
knightlyknave
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by knightlyknave »

Xlatoc wrote: Honestly I never thought about that, but it is indeed a neat idea :nod: How would you play it ? They are already fired at the begining of the combat phase, so it more or less similar. Give them an actual weapon profile ?

I'll have a battle against Empire tonight. I'll give you a report soon :D
I was thinking of using something similar to the Blasting Charges that the Dwarf Miners have. Although those are a one use only item that can be equipped on them as an extra. So maybe just make them a non-standard shooting weapon with a short range.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Had a little game last night, against Empire.

He had :
Steam Tank
HellFire
Canon
Master Engineer
Priest
One Lvl 1 Fire and one Lvl 1 Shadows
3 Gryphs
16 Reiksguard with Templar and BSB
50 Hallebard with 2 detachment of 10 Handgunners
10 huntsmen
14 archers
10 militia (points missing ;) )
10 Outriders
6 Pistoliers

I had
Lvl 4 Glamourweave with Radiand and Wand of Cycles
Lvl 1 Scout Oracle with Warden
Lakoys Highborn with Oaken Sprue, GW, shining armor and Stone of hidden ways. Hunter Talon and tatoos
Scout BSB with Hunter Talon, 2 weapons, verdant protector, Helm of the Hunt
1 Eagle
1 Alter
1 TM
6 WW with Champion
6 Kurnous with GW and Winter spite
1 Faerie Nest
3 Warhawk with Banner and Musician, Whip and Tatoos
3 TK with Spring Spite and Woodland Ambush
19 GG with full command and Summer Spite
14 Dryads with Automn Spite
10 Runners
5 Scouts with Musician and tatoos
5 Glades Riders with Banner, Musician and tatoos.

We ran Blood and Glory. We only played 2 turns 'cause we were slow. I won on the point but it was reaaly balanced and I thing had the game continued, I would have lost or a least had great difficulties taking its last Banner.
I should have dominated magically, but poor rolls did not allow that. Oracle prevented every scouting and vanguard though, which was really usefull.
Warhawk are cooler as ever. 3 S4 attack on charge makes them really valuable againt Warmachines.
Runners are a good screen and a lot of fun !

I added some precisions on the Warhawk Riders rule and Gaze of Athel Loren spell. Also made Bolas a shooting weapon.

Here it is :nod:
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Simplification of Wood Seer and small boost to the Lost Riders.

AB Wood Elves 8.X
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

Lots of simplification, cutting some useless rules and strong things. This is it :)

AB WE 8E Xlatoc

EDIT : index and references, few costs.

EDIT 2 : Special Character, Wand of Cycles, Stone of Rebirth, Alters, Riftblades, Eternal Guard, Wandering Herd, Season Spites.
Xlatoc
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Xlatoc »

A while after, juste minor corrections with TMA, TM and wardancers.

Enjoy
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

A Nimraif Highborn gives its unit one of the following benefit : they may be deployed as Scout but no
less than 1'' away from any enemy unit
is this saying that waywatchers are capable of sneaking right up to a enemies face without being seen??? (I guess it happened in Orion with drycha and the dead glade guard, well dead after drycha had her way)
Maybe make it so they must be out of sight if within 12 inch.
A model with a Deepwoods Hexer may re-roll the dice determining the effect of Treesinging (whether
for moving a wood or striking an enemy)
for striking the enemy, does this allow re-rolling both number of hits and wounds?
During an enemy Magic Phase, you may decide not
to dispel ONE enemy spell
Can you please specify when this happens (after opponent declares spell but before they pick dice/after picking dice?)

last off Treekin are too cheap I reckon, They are way better in your list, (solid 5+ WS) and you've dropped their price by 20%. I think 65 pts/model is still very reasonable for these guys, they are still some of the more brutal MI in the game.

This is a very cool book! I'd like to test it out if I can find some friends who are keen to play test it. If I get around to it I'll keep you posted.
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(