Pictures of my Woodelf army

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Pictures of my Woodelf army

Post by MagnoliaFan »

Hé everybody,

I started painting a woodelf army for the Nemesis Crown campaign. I want to go for a more mythical theme. So take a look and please tell me what you think about it!

My Wardancer Highborn

Wardancers

Gladeriders

When I got the time I wil take some pictures of my Dryads and my up coming projects; Wildriders and a Noble on a greatstag (this wil be the biggest centaur you've ever seen!)
alessan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Pictures of my Woodelf army

Post by alessan »

Very nice conversions and great paintjob too, although I don't agree with the ideas!

I think I will never give my wardancers goat legs -although the conversion work is great-
and I think that the centaur idea fits with the wild riders -forest spirits, spirit of Kurnous, fear etc.-! Glade riders are still elves! Again great conversion work though!

I am really anxious to see you wild rider highborn! I am working on a project with centaurs-wild riders- and I haven't thought of a good idea for a wild rider highborn with the stag's body!

Cheers
It's better to be silent and thought to be a fool, than to open your mouth and remove the doubt!
Mjateznik
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mjateznik »

Wounderful conversions and colour!! Splendid work! The poses are great, I love the jumping wardancer.

Though I like the idea it dosen't fit in warhammer fluff but the models are wounderful.

p.s. good photos
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

very very nice work! personally i don't mind if it fits the fluff if it looks like that!
if the GR are centaurs, then what would you convert your WR to be?

i love the tattoos and the poses of the WD!

keep up the good work! and update soon!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

Since all your guys are "alter looking", will your alter be a regular looking elf? (if you are using one at all :) )

How are you doing your Glade Guard?

BTW, amazing work :)
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

I normaly build armies who fit with the GW fluff but this is more a project for fun and a good excuse to build cool models!

Here are some pictures of my wildriders (WIP)

Champion

Command group

wildriders

I dont have my camera this week so I dont have many pictures of the models I already started greenstuffing.

And of course some WIP pictures of my Lord on Stag.

MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

I don't think i'm going to use a alter noble, the next caracter wil be a spellweaver (im thinking of using the mail order only elder bonesinger model)
I dont know yet how I'm going to build my gladeguards...
Coën
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Coën »

DAMN!

Those are wonderful! :D
Really good conversions, and a fantastic paintjob! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
- Ad finem temporum
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

Gah! ........gah!........... amazing! i love them!

they look...chaos-y, very very well done, but chaos-y.....which isn't always a bad thing ("Heretic!" some of you may say..... :paranoid: )
centigors, correct?

That's Orion for the top of the stag conversion?

where are the bases from?

anticipating your updates!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

The basses are from Micro Art Studio, but I'm still waithing for months on my monster bases :mad: So if you want to order them you'll have to be verry patient :wink:
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

Hey,
here's a little update with some pictures from my dryads. They aren't as heavely converted as the rest of the army, just some difrent posses, I wanted some of them running and I added some extra branches.
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

the pictures are kind of dark.....

but from what i can see, they look very nice!

where are the bird models from?

what's next on your army list? update soon!
Mjateznik
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mjateznik »

I were also woundering where ya got the birds from, saw a tip in an old WD once about spites and I belive those birds are from the same resource.

The darkness is probably because dryads are always leaning forward. This means that any light from the upper front and sides (most used when lighting a miniature) won't be very effective. What ya would need is a lamp below the miniature, the problem with that is the lamp will usually be all to close and to bright.

Well as I said before. Wounderful painting!
Coën
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Coën »

I believe the birds are from the classic Skaw the Falconer model.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... nav=300810
That's what they used for the spites too IIRC.
As far as I can see it clearly, they look very nice (again). Looking forward to some coloured pics :wink:
- Ad finem temporum
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

Yep those are the birds I used! and the spites on top of some birds are warmaster skinks, I also use warmaster horrors as spites.
This is my last week of school so I have to finish a lot of papers and have to make a few presentations. But after that i have more time and Then I hope to finish the wildriders and Greatstag.
After that I want to build some gladeguards (no woodelf army is complete without them) but i don't really have a idea how to do them. I was thinking of givingen them horse legs or something. Have you guy's anny idea's??
JMMelo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by JMMelo »

I think you need to take a second and figure what background you want for your elves... the wardancers have goat legs... is that a common feature for your army? Then make them all goat legged :)

I think centaurs make more sense for cavalry units.
Aralith
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aralith »

:drool: ummm.... what you'v done with that army is amazing... u just don't see that level of work 2 often you should be real proud aye, bravo!
While Orion slumbers,
the Mithrin stand firm.
While Orion hunts,
the Mithrin stand firm.
For it is our sacred duty,
eternally.
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

JMMelo wrote:I think you need to take a second and figure what background you want for your elves... the wardancers have goat legs... is that a common feature for your army? Then make them all goat legged :)

I think centaurs make more sense for cavalry units.
I immediately thought of some Kurnous relation for the Wardancers. I think it looks a bit odd, but it makes sense fluffilly.

Apart from that, I am lost for words. Very nice stuff.
The Dryads could use a pic with the light coming from the front too, so we see the detail work.

~ Nag
riverstone
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by riverstone »

I really like it when people go outside the "standard" to make their army uniquely their own. It brings a lot of diversity to the Warhammer game and it's not like your changing the stat lines or anything - I mean they play the same, so go for it. Really great work from what I can see and the woodgrain leg gaurd things on the GR are a fantastic idea. I like that a lot- never seen that done before.
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

Hey, I don't have any new pictures yet (probebly next week). But I was working on a 1000 pts army list so I can see what to paint next.
this is it:

Noble (75) Wild Rider Kindred (35) Great stag (50) 160 pts
Spellsinger (90) level2 (35) 125 pts

10 Glade guard (120) full command (24) 144 pts
5 Glade Riders (120) full command (36) 156 pts
10 dryads (120) 120 pts

6 wardancers (108) full command (21) 129 pts
5 wildriders (130) fullcommand (36) 166 pts

I know it would be better to lose some command groups on the glade guard or glade rider units but I just love command groups, It looks so much better.

Greetz Magnolia Fan
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Great models here Magnolia! Really great conversions and a brilliant paintjob!
Look forward to seeing more of your models
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

pretty sure you can't post original point costs for models.....

and the best size for dryads is 8.....but these comments are better left for the tactica threads.....

anyways, at least you'll get sportsmanship points in a tourney for your command groups! (i think... :roll: )

concerning fitting the GG into the overall theme.....why not put horns on their heads (like the WD)? it seems that all of your units have some sort of (beastmen) horns on some models....

the spellsinger next?
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

Hey guys,
Things don't go as fast as I hoped. But the last few days I spend working on the Noble model, I personly thing he starts to look great (but he still isn't finnished). I also started painting the wildriders, but I went to a friends gaming club to paint together, when one of his friend walked in and accadentialy trew his keys ontop of my banner model :cry:. So I have to make some repairs before I can continue.
But here are the pictures of the Noble in action!

I wanted him to have a simmilar weapon as the wildriders. So I made one out of plastic card.

And of course a picture to show how big he is :eek:.
Khrannok
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Khrannok »

Simply amazing. And regardless of fluff, the entire army feels very much like something from a magical forest. The glade rider standard bearer justifies every command upgrade for the entire army; that is my favorite so far.

Your skin tones look much more tan than the standard, pale elf paint job. Would you be willing to share you recipe?

Khrannok
MagnoliaFan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MagnoliaFan »

The skin is actualy pretty easy!
I use a mix of 50% bestial brown 50% dwarf flesh.
Then 20% bestial brown 80% dwarf flesh.
Pure dwarf flesh
Then I ad more and more skull white for every highlight until i'm happy with the skin tone.