Spites & WYSIWYG

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Spites & WYSIWYG

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

How does one model Spites so that they are WYSIWYG and an opponent has some clue what they are and what they can do?

Are there any accepted conventions?
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Jean Marcel l'Impéteux
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves, Bretonnians, Skaven

Post by Jean Marcel l'Impéteux »

I thought spites wer eusually the little creatures that are on the Hero bases and around the tree barks such as nymphs and such things. Therefore I thought they were already incoporated into the model.

I guess not?
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

I get to chose the spites for my Branchwraiths and I have looked at the Drycha model and I cannot see anything obvious that is either the Radiants or the Terror.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

The Inspector
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Vampire Counts

Post by The Inspector »

Have you guys seen the GW article on modelling spites?

They model three 'named' spites-

Cluster of Radiants

Pageant of Shrikes

A Murder of Spites

Of course, these are not the definative models to represent certain spites but instead hopefully gives you some ideas if you want to represent specific spites on your models.

An interesting point: notice how none of these spites are actually fixed to a model, but are seen on a separate base scurrying alongside their characters (as seen in the dryad picture). Although this could be attributed to the fact that it is simply easier to show the convertion process of a model if they are on a separate base :wink:
Ardanwen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ardanwen »

I just randomly stick spites to bases of units.(a litle more on hero bases though) I mean, as far as I'm concerned spites are everywhere in the forest. I'm not using a hero with spites (yet?) but I think I would just put more spites on his/her base then on others.
Last edited by Ardanwen on 09 Apr 2007, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my English, I hopes it makes sense. If not: tell me.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Thank you Inspector. I'll check that out. I like the idea of separate spites on their own bases. That would make it very easy to ajust the allocation for my various point level armies.

Making them all out of GW stuff, so I can compete in tournaments may be hard. Perhaps Warmaster models would do well.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

ampao
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos

Post by ampao »

This might sound noobish, but why would you need separate models for spites?
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

You don't, but it looks nicer if you do it well.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

To be WYSIWYG, a character with spites needs to have them modelled and they need to be somewhat identifiable by your opponent, who may not be able to see your list.

A character with a bow, needs a bow on the model, a character with heavy armour cannot be running around in a loincloth and warpaint.

Same with spites. Th dvantage of spites on separate bases is that they can be reconfigured with your characters.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Thanathos
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Tau

Post by Thanathos »

Does anybody actually field WYSIWYG models ??

I think that it requieres so much time that it's completly exagerated, it's just over the top.
I mean, yes, you spend a ridiculous amount of time painting your entire army, and playing with it, but then having to model every spite, light armour, bow and everything on your models it's just not worth it.
What happens if you feel like changing your list.....??

Don't you think so ??

Thanathos
Kragg the Dragon Lord on druchii.net
Wyvern Lord on da-warpath.com
Tal'Rasha on khemri.co.uk

+++ Team Mulligans +++
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

My armies are WYSIWYG. I guess it depends where you are.

I have twelve different vampires for my VC army and all of the mounted ones fit on my Steeds, Nightmares, or Zombie Dragons. The ones with the Cursed Book, have a book, etc, although the ones with a book do not always have the Cursed Book, but I will not use a Vampire with a book if another Vampire has the Cursed Book I do take some short cuts; a weapon may be magic or not and may or may not be actually a sword.

In a friendly game, anything goes, but for a tournament I think you need to be as WYSIWYG as possible. That has certainly been my experience of playing.

I suppose it all depends on how closed your lists are. The more closed, the more WYSIWYG. I don't want to sound like a 'holier tha thou' or pompous prat, but I expect my opponents to be WYSIWYG, especially if cannot see their list, as is often the case for tournament play. Maybe we should start a separate thread on this?

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Dracos
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Asrai, Chaos

Post by Dracos »

I've always taken the subject of WYSIWYG models fairly serious when I play 40k. You have to remember the nature of the two games though, that, and the fact that 40k models tend to all be of a similiar scale.

A boltgun is a boltgun regardless of whether its Chaos or Imperial, on the otherhand scale works differently in Warhammer. In Warhammer a Chaos hand weapon is often as large or larger than an Empire great weapon.

Magic and its effects can be very subjective to perception. What I see as a perfectly good Power Familar might seem more like a Warrior Familiar to my opponent.

The important thing about Sprites and WYSIWYG is just to make sure you have a Sprite on the model and be sportsman enough to let your opponent know what it does if/when they ask
Thanathos
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Tau

Post by Thanathos »

I don't have a problem at all at showing my list to my oponent and to tell him what something does, but i just think that converting everything in an army to be WYSIWYG is over the top.

Respect to you ArchMagosAlchemys, word. :nod:

Thanathos
Kragg the Dragon Lord on druchii.net
Wyvern Lord on da-warpath.com
Tal'Rasha on khemri.co.uk

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Sethayla
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves... Lots and lots of points... whether they are painted or not... ugh

Post by Sethayla »

@ Thanathos Agreed!
Nagathi wrote:Only on Asrai.org can a thread about a joke turn into a mature, serious and intellectual discussion. It's almost frightening...
How to use Glade Riders
How to use Eternal Guard
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

I guess it depends on who/where you play. Often in tournaments, the lists are completely closed and your opponent expects WYSIWYG and will ding you in Sportsmanship or Composition is it's not and will nearly always refuse to tell you anything about their list, with good reason. A few magic items are worthless if the lists are open and nasty surprises, like Assassins and Ambushers becomes less effective if you know the enemy has them.

In the end, I'd like to go with the most restrictive interpretation so that I'm not out to lunch when I travel.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!