The Boetian Phalanx Hoplites is 100% complete lots-o-PICS!

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

King Leonidas
Master of Armies
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves, Empire, Dwarfs, Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms

The Boetian Phalanx Hoplites is 100% complete lots-o-PICS!

Post by King Leonidas »

Well my Boetian Phalanx (Theban Greek Themed WE) is complete. It's just in time for the Alamo GT too which is this weekend Nov 4+5. I hope you enjoy the pics, the most recent battle reports are here: http://woodelves.org/viewtopic.php?t=5244

http://www.ThebainPhalanx.com
Last edited by King Leonidas on 24 Jan 2010, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Joey_Boy
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joey_Boy »

just sick man!

I love it...

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> out of 5 possible!
Wild Riders are a Fluff unit!
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

Wow that army looks way better than it did before!! Good Work Man!!!
Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs, Wood elves, Beastmen, Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Kyte »

What a neat army! BTW, Where's your characters?

- Kyte
King Leonidas
Master of Armies
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves, Empire, Dwarfs, Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms

Post by King Leonidas »

Kyte wrote:What a neat army! BTW, Where's your characters?

- Kyte
In the Militia Hoplites the Hero leadign them is the black-haired man 4th from the left.

In the Sacred Band the Battle Standard is the large banner 2nd from the left and the General is next to him with the laurel crown 3rd from the left.

No other characters, no wizards; just fighty characters with leadership abilities.
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

The only thing that could make this be cooler is longer spears so the phalanx looks even more impressive but other then that all I gotta say is bravo.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Treeman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Treeman »

God that unit is huge
... .
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

TerminusEst wrote:The only thing that could make this be cooler is longer spears so the phalanx looks even more impressive but other then that all I gotta say is bravo.
The Macedonian Phalanx had spears long enough to be able to fight in five ranks.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
King Leonidas
Master of Armies

Post by King Leonidas »

Foxtale wrote:
TerminusEst wrote:The only thing that could make this be cooler is longer spears so the phalanx looks even more impressive but other then that all I gotta say is bravo.
The Macedonian Phalanx had spears long enough to be able to fight in five ranks.
spears are suppossed to be long enough to be used in one hand and fight in up to 3 ranks... which is what these guys represent.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Oh right, hoplites, not Macedonian phalanx guys. :/ They used two hands. Did they use a shield though?

Kudos to painting up so many though. That's just insane. Didn't you get bored painting them all up? 70 identical guys... geez.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
V123
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by V123 »

wow congrats on the painting and good luck in the tourny,
help spread the peace... PLANT A SEED
King Leonidas
Master of Armies

Post by King Leonidas »

Foxtale wrote:Oh right, hoplites, not Macedonian phalanx guys. :/ They used two hands. Did they use a shield though?

Kudos to painting up so many though. That's just insane. Didn't you get bored painting them all up? 70 identical guys... geez.
http://www.RemanLegions.com this is my Reman Legions army with 200+ identical models... so 70, not bad!
toshiro
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by toshiro »

awesome
Asthelann
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Asthelann »

wow, you must have amazing will power!!!!!!!!!!!!!
look left, no, the Other left....
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Makes me want to go play Rome: Total War. Sacred Band were amazing...

You make great use of bitz from a variety of ranges.
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Tethlis wrote:Makes me want to go play Rome: Total War. Sacred Band were amazing...
I was thinking of that when looking at his miniatures too I love the way hoplites(sp?) look in the game especially the black and orange macedonian ones, too bad my Scythian Allies run circles of arrow death around them :evil:

And 70+ miniatures is crazy, I start losing my sanity if I do more then 2 a day.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
King Leonidas
Master of Armies

Post by King Leonidas »

TerminusEst wrote:And 70+ miniatures is crazy, I start losing my sanity if I do more then 2 a day.
I started this army less than 2 months before it was finished... I built the first models in the first week of september and finished the last week of october... 122 models plus display base, plus my free wood base I might be able to use sometimes all in 2 months... the fastest I've ever painted before!

It's amazing what a deadline can do to motivate you!
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

TerminusEst wrote:
Tethlis wrote:Makes me want to go play Rome: Total War. Sacred Band were amazing...
I was thinking of that when looking at his miniatures too I love the way hoplites(sp?) look in the game especially the black and orange macedonian ones, too bad my Scythian Allies run circles of arrow death around them :evil:
Off topic:
Try fighting Parthia. They're my personal favorite. Own you with horse archers, before charging your survivors with a combination of heavy cataphracts and War Elephants. Most competitive civilization in the game, in my opinion. No wonder the Romans never conquered them.

On topic:
Well done to King Leonidas for the speed painting. Getting so many models ready for the tabletop in such a short amount of time is no easy feat.
fp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fp »

sory, man, it's not WE army. why not DOW? nice convercion work, bad army background motivation.
King Leonidas
Master of Armies

Post by King Leonidas »

fp wrote:sory, man, it's not WE army. why not DOW? nice convercion work, bad army background motivation.
name the other warhammer army that has elite spearmen... it's wood elves
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

It doesn't bother me if he uses an army book as a template for something else. It's very original, and allows for tremendous variety when facing an opponent.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

they're all pretty impressive!! nice manipulation of the component ranges as well

just out of curiosity what bodies did you use for the hoplites??
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
cybersharque
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves (Primary), Chaos (Nurgle)

Post by cybersharque »

Foxfire wrote:
Oh right, hoplites, not Macedonian phalanx guys. :/ They used two hands. Did they use a shield though?
The question turns out to actually be quite interesting. Yes, hoplites carried shields. I had learnt at university that the word "hoplite" was derived etymologically from the Greek hoplon, hopla, shield. However thanks to the power of google, it turns out it's controversial whether hoplon means "shield" or "armour." Personally, I support the faction that holds that <hoplon> = shield, hence hoplite = shield-bearing soldier.

Moreover, Mommsen's History of Rome indicates there was an expression current in the second century BCE, "as certain as a hoplite's shield," which seems to have been used much as we today will say that a proposition is as certain as it is that bears make nightsoil in the forest. More certain, indeed, since we are not subject to rules of nicey-nicey when we speak colloquially. But you get the picture. I hope. (Maybe we just use the expression on this side of the pond, in which case we have anoter instance of the US and UK being separated by a common language.)

The only problem I have with the nomenclature is that these models (absolutely drop-dead gorgeous work, 10 on the cool mini scale) are not carrying hopla. The hoplon was large enough to cover the hoplite and his shield-bearer. In other words, the shields just are not big enough. Also, because the hoplon was so gawdawful heavy, one should adopt a house rule that reduces the move of hoplon-bearing troops by at least 1", but give the unit impact hits on the charge from the mass of shields backed by diehard troops equal to the number of soldiers in the front rank. Hoplites on the charge were so very effective (against troops that were not similarly-equipped) that many units just fell apart from the kinetic energy impulse of the phalanx hitting home.
It's not a choice.
It's a nurgling.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

The phalanx was utilized as a combat formation in both Hellenic Greek and Macedonian traditions. The Hellenic Greek City states used thrusting spears and large shields, while the pikemen of the Macedonian tradition used the two-handed Sarissa pike (significantly longer than the thrusting spear of the Greek Cities) used a small buckler, counting on the length of the Sarissa to protect them. I believe the army in question here falls into the latter category.
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

cybersharque wrote:Also, because the hoplon was so gawdawful heavy, one should adopt a house rule that reduces the move of hoplon-bearing troops by at least 1", but give the unit impact hits on the charge from the mass of shields backed by diehard troops equal to the number of soldiers in the front rank. Hoplites on the charge were so very effective (against troops that were not similarly-equipped) that many units just fell apart from the kinetic energy impulse of the phalanx hitting home.
Who would be foolish enough to let them get charged by something that moves relatively slow? They'd have to count on cavarly to protect them because missle troops would just pummle them same goes for troops that employ guerilla warfare tactics. While I do no doubt phalanxes and hoplites in particular were effective I think it took a certain kind of opponent to fight against, namely someone who had an established city or fortification and did not have the liberty to run or outmanuver the hoplites.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH