Autumn Wood Elves

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Olek
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Autumn Wood Elves [updated w/ wild riders, glade guards ...]

Post by Olek »

Hi, i've been admiring your beautiful wood elves for some time now, and i have finally decided to go for an autumn theme as well. I have read the tutorial you wrote on the Glade guards, and are planing on using that. However, teracotta is no longer in production. You wouldn't have any suggestions on a replacement colour by any chance?

That would be awesome!
coolhand
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE and Salamander Marines

Post by coolhand »

Vallejo has a Terracotta color in their Game Color line which is based on GW's color.
Tachunka
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Space Wolves

Post by Tachunka »

Beautiful army! It is the nicest fall color scheme I have seen. Congratulations on being rewarded for your excellent work!
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Re: Autumn Wood Elves [updated w/ wild riders, glade guards

Post by Anardakil »

Sorry for my long abscence from this forum everyone. I was out of the hobby for a while. This has changed and now i'm all crazy with hobbying ^^ So here's a big update, with more to come soon!

Here come some ridiculously late replies. Damn i feel so stupid. I'm so sorry!

Hisie Taur: Glad you think so ^^

Calindor: Thank you. I am very proud of it actually :)

peterhof: Thanks!

Powerofnature213: Thanks!

Jellitin: Thank you!

Hisie Taur: Haha, well... it's big mama dryad. :)

Rutta89: Thanks. Glad you like it and that i've inspired you : )

Olek: Since i've been away from this forum for so long you probably no longer need my help with the colour suggestion. Sorry i never replied :( at least coolhand offered some help : )

Tachunka: Thanks! It makes me happy to hear that ^^

So, during the last two months of this summer i've been doing some commissions but i've also sculpted and painted six pretty huge tree kin, and finished two pairs of glade guard standard bearers and musicians.

Enjoy! These are green stuff sculpts with just a few bits of GW parts. A few from the dryads sprues and a bit from the corpse cart for example. i went for a ”revenge of dead trees”-theme seing as tree kin are supposed to be animated dead trees. I was actually inspired a bit by the thornhulks from Diablo II who use a big hacked/sawed off bransch as a weapon – one of my tree kin is a thornhulk tree kin after all, with lots of thorns ^^ i wanted them to look very dangerous and violent and like something you don't want to face on the battlefield.

Also, i want to thank my lovely Tamm. When i was working on the sculpts Tamm got inspired and wanted to help ♥ She has sculpted the cute little snails on two of the bases, and the lovely mushrooms.

Oh and i'll have to give some credit to Hastings over at warseer. i followed his water splash tutorials. Thank you Hastings!

And just for size comparison :)

Here are some individual Tree Kin shots:

First out is the fungus infested Tree Kin Elder, nicknamed Mr Mushroom. It's the only tree kin without eyes. Not sure why i made it like that, but somehow i liked it this way.

Next is the Thornhulk, or Torgny as Tamm likes to call it ;P It was the first one i sculpted. It was inspired by the thornhulk from Diablo II.

This is Viney - a tree kin who can control the vines growing on its body to entangle the foe. This model won me the best painted single miniature award at Gates of Westridge this month - the tournament where my tree kin got to take to the field for the first time.

This tree kin, nicknamed Pokey, has lost an eye to an axe wound. perhaps inflicted by the sorry sod stuck on Pokey's pointy poking finger.

This tree kin likes to throw rocks at people, appaerently. Not my favourite of the six. i have been thinking of modifying it a bit.

The sixth tree kin is the one i like the least. The head didn't turn out very well and i feel the torso should be modified, and maybe another back branch should be added. i pity this tree kin, because it has an axe stuck in its shoulder and a sword in the back of its leg. It doesn't seem to care much though.

For a lot of additional pictures of individual tree kin, check out my Photobucket sub-gallery for them: http://photobucket.com/singletreekinpics

Do people want to see photos of the tree kin before their undercoat btw? i've got some WIP pics.

i won the awards for best painted army (left) and best painted miniature (right) at Gates of Westridge 2011 in Västerås, which made me incredibly happy :D

And here's a close up of the Thornhulk's base with the lovely snail and mushrooms sculpted by Tamm.

http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
JohnnyM
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Autumn Wood Elves. Yes i'm back, finally. Now with tree

Post by JohnnyM »

They look incredible! Wow!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Those are some impressive Treekin!

And of course it's great to have you back on the forum ;)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Lighteater
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: My beloved treehuggers

Post by Lighteater »

Epic!

They look really cool and scary.
Logics and tabletops are incompatible.
JohnnyM
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by JohnnyM »

How did the army do gaming-wise at the tourney where you picked up those trophies? Very well deserved by the way :)
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

JohnnyM: Thanks :D i placed 19 out of 58 i think. Pretty good if you ask me, considering i hadn't had a game in for months before that. i was gonna have a practice game the week before but i got the flu :P i wasn't too well at the tournament either, because of sleep deprivation and perhaps the medication for the flu, i nearly fainted in game too :S But i got better. Ate some good food, took my pills and drank a lot of coke and water :D haha. It's probably time for me to drop the eternal guards now though. i've always known they're pretty bad but played with them because i like the models. i've grown a bit bored with playing with them though ^^

Beithir Seun: Glad you think so! :D Thanks.

Lighteater: Thanks :) i wanted them to look pretty menacing and dangerous.
soilworker
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: partial (ogres, orcs, dwarfs) woodies are primary

Post by soilworker »

I have often wandered along the meadow of arts and never seen this post, your models are amazing.

can I ask about the tree trunks on your bases? is this modeled or from a set? and if they are modeled, can you give any pointers about how I might have a shot at them?
It will as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear -- Amos 5:19

beasts feld by bow: stegadon, rhinox rider, warsphinx, chimera, terrorgheist.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

They are sculpted in green stuff by myself. Start with a short cylinder of green stuff which you attach to the base. When it's dry put a flat piece of greenstuff on top - like a pancake ^^ - and use a pointy sculpting tool to sculpt the circles in the sawed off wood. Start from the centre and work your way out. This step is tricky and it might take a few tries to get a satisfying result. When done, leave to dry. then wrap the sides of the cylinder in green stuff and sculpt it into a barklike texture. The last step is to add roots. Roll some green stuff into rootlike shapes and attach them, sculpting them carefully to give them a slightly rough finish. And that's it :) Hope it was easy to understand.
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, LM, E

Post by peterhof »

As always Anardakil, your work brings envy to us all :thumbsup:
You can push, but I will push back...only harder, much harder.
soilworker
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: partial (ogres, orcs, dwarfs) woodies are primary

Post by soilworker »

yes it was, thankyou :)
I look forward to trying it out this weekend!!!
It will as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear -- Amos 5:19

beasts feld by bow: stegadon, rhinox rider, warsphinx, chimera, terrorgheist.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

those are nice treekin
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Plexi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Dwarves, Orc and Goblin, High Elf, Blood Angels

Post by Plexi »

The TK are pretty sweet looking, but I've gotta say that you take really good pictures too. I'll be the first to admit that my pics look like crap, but there are a lot of people that post minis online, even on ebay, that look pretty poor. Good pics make great minis look absolutely awesome, nice job.
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My game groups blog site http://thestarforge.wordpress.com/
luagaia
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by luagaia »

Really beautiful!!! Inspiration to keep assembling my army...
I started buying models about 3 years ago and I´m still gluing, converting and priming... nothing painted yet!!!

Keep the outstanding job and show us! :)
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Peterhof: ^^ Thanks!

Soilworker: Did it go well? : )

popisdead: Thanks!

Plexi: Girlfriend took the pictures – not me ^^ She's very good at it. : )

luagia: Thanks! i'm glad they inspire you : )

Here are some glade guard command models i never posted. They could still use some more work but i just can't be bothered right now i'm afraid. They'll have to do. Maybe later. i have to say, i really don't like to paint the glade guards. They're the most annoying core i've ever painted :P the other wood elves minis are so much more fun.

Some wardancers at last!

Two unit fillers (a spite on some skulls and a base i bought from microartstudios for my first great eagle, before i realised they should be on 50mm bases. It's now a stand in tree kin when i need one but might be the base for a warhawk in a distant future if they ever become worth their pts.

Here are some quick tree kin. Spent not nearly as much time on these as on the ones i sculpted myself, of course, but i needed some more for a few tournaments and i didn't have the time to sculpt any more big tree kin. So these ”baby tree kin” had to do. I modified their arms a bit though to make them look a little bit more dangerous. The painting was a bit hurried.
The bases of the other tree kin were custom made by me (Girlfriend made the mushrooms though :D) whereas i tried microartstudios ones for these. Visually they're great. Not sure i'd buy them again though. The bases don't rank up! :S FAIL! Oh well :P
The tree kin next farthest to the left (from our perspective, on the first pic) was completely sculpted from scratch though. I needed one more but couldn't be bothered to buy any more so i tried to make one that would fit in with the other GW tree kin. Went ok i guess.

Here's another great eagle.

And here it is together with its older mate.

Some cool pictures of my Wood Elves battling it out against some skaven at a tournament (Girlfriend took the pictures at BSK2011)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... venBSK.jpg
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... enBSK2.jpg

i won some more prices by the way : )
1st best painted army at the Warhammer tournament at Borås Spelkonvent 2011

2nd best painted army at the Warhammer tournament at Quest for Atlantis 2011, Uppsala.

These are probably the last miniatures for my wood elves army for a long time. i might not paint any more until GW decide they're worth an update. i should probably arrange some kind of army shot of the whole army though. It's gotten quite big. But for now, this is the last update on my autumn wood elves. :tear:
Forestcrab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Forestcrab »

Wow, quite an update you have here.
First, I want to congratulate you for your awards!

To your glade guards: colours, painting technique and bases are, as always, impressive.
I don't know what else to say. Well done!
Same goes for the wardancers. The tattoos look good. Altough, they are quite small in the picture.

The GW tree kin are nothing compared to your sculpts, but the painting is still nice. Shame that the bases don't rank up.
The eagle is beautiful. And the pictur is also really good. Nice mood, but not too artistic for showing the model.
Anardakil wrote:But for now, this is the last update on my autumn wood elves.
I undestand, but it's still sad. Your work is so impressive and inspirational.
You could post the army pic as your last update.

-Forestcrab

P.S. Maybe you can start another army to keep us inspired? And yourself in the hobbying.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Autumn Wood Elves

Post by Turin »

Thanks for sharing your part of the hobby with us !

This really is a great looking army and I'm very interested in pics of the complete army ...
It always makes you appreciate the whole theme of an army even more.

Have fun with it in Games and shame on GW, if they don't come out with a new armybook and Minis for you to paint !
Carlund
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Carlund »

Wow, amazing work!

If I might ask, what colors did you use on the great eagles? They look badass.
Rab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rab »

If I haven't said before. These are great, an army shot before you stop posting about wood elves is of course mandatory!
my wood elf army pblog
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »

Yeah army shot! Really dig the sculpted treekin, great work! :nod:
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

You... are... Miniatures Goddess!!! :eek:

Could you please remember the base-coat and paints you used for painting in Autumn-sheme?