Autumn Wood Elves

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Re: My Autumn Wood Elves painting blog [Warning: picture heavy!]

Post by Anardakil »

You like her? Well that's great! I guess I don't have to be ashamed then ^^

O-ho. So what models are you painting before the weed elves then?
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

lol if only the word was 'models'! <.<
When i first started WH i was one of those players who couldn't stick with one army (to be fair, i was young and foolish) so i quickly got four armies (VC, DE, Brets and WE in that order.) At the moment i've almost finished my VC army, but the rest are only partly painted and i'm probably going to repaint/convert them anyway...so wood elves are last priority :confused:.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Oh I see. You're one of those ;)
Well my advice is that you give your VC army your full attention then, until it's completely finished. It's not funny to not have a full army done. (my empire army looks like crap but whatever :P)
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Yep, that's what i'm basically doing at the mo, but it's still slow work because of all the conversions i'm doing...still, they're what i enjoy most :nod:.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

*drumroll* update time!

I've been rather busy actually so I have got a few things to show you all.
Um... I just bought a whole load of skaven from a friend and from GW. A batallion, chieftain, an extra giant rat pack, a ratling gun, a globadier, a night runners box, a rat swarm and a few extra rats.

That means I've just started my sixth fantasy army, and have got four fantasy armies on the go at once. Three of them being horde armies (yes my 2kpts empire army will contain 213 models). Oh dear. Well the wood elves will get the longest straw since they should be the quickest to finish. They'll only be about 70 models or so. Including a dragon and loads of cavalry though : P

Anyway, here are two skaven models:
I sculpted fur on the rat ogre, since the joins between the body and the arms look terrible normally. I think it turned out nicely ^ ^ The other ratsie is my Skaven Assassin Adept. It's a night runner who'll also be the leader of my rats when they go to Mordheim. (yeah I love that game, I really, really do)

Next up are some more witch hunters for my Sigmarite army and witch hunters warband:
I have bought most of the Mordheim specific witch hunter models too.

If someone would like to see my army list I could post it : )

Then I have something for all you christmas gobbo lovers out there ; D
It's my finished Christmas Gobbo Big Boss:
I am very pleased with the result. I really like that tinge of greens on greenskins and I am happy with how the red and the metals came out too. What do you think?
Oh, and I've gotten ahold of a quite a lot of green stuff now and so I can finally sculpt more hoodsies for the wee little gobbos. Great isn't it!? ; P

And last but not least are two painting in progress wood elf models. I am currently giving my glad riders' elven steeds some attention. I find it really hard to paint horses, but I think I'm improving pretty fast. Remember that they're not done yet. Also, the image got a little blurry I'm afraid but I think it's okay:

I forgot to photograph the other side of the steeds but what the heck, you'll see more of them.

Well, that's all for now. I'll be painting horses and gluing ratsies and maybe sculpting hoods for a while now I guess.

Thanks for following my blog! <3
/Jessie
Knuth
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Knuth »

The horses looks rather good acutally, better than mine none the less
"Knowledge is power, hide it well"
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

six armies? how long have you been playing (or collecting)?
what armies do you have?

work is still amazing!

i love how smooth the colours blend into each other! any tips?

i hope you don't mind if i start my own christmas gobbos :ninja:....... :D

really really great work, keep with the updates!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Council of Eight
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Council of Eight, Firegitz' Tribe, Sacred Host of Kai-Mundi, N'Dras Sept, Hive Fleet Aggredior

Post by Council of Eight »

Eight armies is good, but it's not that much. It's still alot however. I've been playing for yjree to four years and have racked up six different armies on four different lists. I'm a big collecter.
Trevy's Painting Table
Cheap and easy commission painting for all wargames.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

To Ryikko: Oh I've been playing, painting and collectong for more than seven years actually. But there have been a lot of gaps where I haven't really done anything at all.

My first armies were 2000 pts of Vampire Counts and 2000 pts of Empire when the sixth edition came out. I sold the undead but the empire models are still here - don't look all that good though :P I've also painted a Tau Combat Patrol (400 pts) but I sold them, and I have 1200 pts of Chaos Marines painted (and about 1200 pts unpainted -.-). I haven't painted that many of my wood elves, 2nd empire army troops and goblins yet though. And no skaven are painted at akk. Oh and I've got a lot of random models lying around too.

"i love how smooth the colours blend into each other! any tips?" Umm... get a good camera. It irritates me a lot, but my colours don't blend that good IRL. I'm one of the few people who sais they look worse IRL :P But really, I don't manipulate the pictures at all. It's the cameras fault ... oh and my painting skills' too :(
But if you want colours to blend well I guess you should water them down a lot. That's what I'm doing, but it's frustrating when it looks a bit rough IRL and almost perfect on the screen.

Oh and no I really don't mind if you start your own christmas gobbo army! Come join the cause! (it's not like mine were the first ones anyway)

Thanks for commenting.
Council of Eight
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Council of Eight, Firegitz' Tribe, Sacred Host of Kai-Mundi, N'Dras Sept, Hive Fleet Aggredior

My Night Gobbo army is like that; all painted red. The fluff for them however is that the've been stuck in a cave for so long that they begin to see fire and large explosions with near reverance. They fill up they're rare choices with DoW cannons.
Trevy's Painting Table
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

My Night Gobbo army is like that; all painted red. The fluff for them however is that the've been stuck in a cave for so long that they begin to see fire and large explosions with near reverance. They fill up they're rare choices with DoW cannons.
Hm? I really don't get that theme. Are they hallucinating from the lack of sunlight or fresh air and thus see explosions and fire? It sounds so odd. And why would that give them red clothes and cannons? :confused:
Council of Eight
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Ok, heres the long story:

These Night Gobbos were creeping around one day looking for a nice nook to hide in and found one. Unfortunately the cave was extremely unstable and with the tramping of hundreds of little Gobbo feet under it it finally collapsed. Si the little Gobbos were stuck inside the cave. Fortunately it was crawling with Giant Spiders, Mushrooms and highly flammable cavewood. So the Gobbos were able to survive for quite a long time. Over the years they began to rely more and more on the fires provided by their cavewood to survive, and began experimenting with it. They began to see fire as almost a diety and therefore made red (not black or yellow) the primary color in their culture. When they finally escaped from their stone prison (blew out no doubt), they came across a band of Dwarves with a cannon. The Goblins, fascinated with this new discovery, quickly ambushed and killed the Dwarves and stole their artillery. They quickly fell in love this this new method of blowing things up, and have captured several of them, and have also experimented with Imperial Mortars and stone throwers. They fight simply to blow people up and test their new explosives.

Thanks, I'm here 'till 9.
Trevy's Painting Table
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Oh I see. That's a pretty nice background story you've got there :)
Council of Eight
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Thanks. Go here to learn all about it. It's the army's profile on my club gaming website.
Trevy's Painting Table
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

I'd love to see more of this, Anardakil. I'd also love to get some of your stuff into the LEAF P&M section. The Dryads you have are awesome. If you plan on doing more, take some WiP pictures and write it into one of those Dryads Step-by-Step articles. Anything you can do is appreciated.

~ Nag
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

There's an update coming up right now Nagathi : )
Hmm I will paint more dryads but I'm not sure when. I'm tackling the glade riders right now. Maybe I could paint a dryad or two soon though. I have two lying around. I'll see what I can do.

That's good to hear, unwanted, thanks : )
Well I promised an update and here it is. It's not exactly an impressive one, but as I think I said earlier I have been gluing and basing a lot, and I have hade lots of homework to finish. Excuses, excuses ;P

Anyways, for starters I bought a pwetty tree base today for my future mail order great eagle. It's from http://www.microartstudio.com

I like it, but the pieces don't fit :P Nothing a little bit of green stuff wouldn't fix though.

Second up is the third glade rider's horse. Still WIP mind you. The brown isn't done yet. It needs some more highlighting with dark flesh. Brown colours are MUCH easier to blend than whites and greys I'm telling you O_o.

Next we have two more witch hunters. Meet Marius and Dork Boy. All witch hunter captains seem to be named Marius. I guess it's just such a dark, mean-sounding name. Oh and Dork Boy ... well ... I just couldn't resist. He's going to be used as a youngblood in Mordheim and let's face it - youngbloods are dorky! XD So I gave him a silly hat, an even sillier cape, a poofy sweater, a pair of striped pants and a spear and a crappy shield.

I think I might tidy up Marius's face a bit. It looks a little crappy.
Oh and Dork Boy's striped trousers made such a good impression on me that I'm thinking of doing Averlanders instead of Altdorfians. The problem is that witch hunters seem more at home in Altdorf :/ What should I do?

And due to popular demand, here's another Christmas Gobbo. Meet my first "wolf rider":

What do you think? I really like him. I'm going to do a lot of wacky poses and accidents for the other skiing gobbos. ^^
I'm going to put thread on the ends of the sticks where the spikes are attached. I'm not sure if I should remove the spear tip though. What do you people think? Spear or just two "sticks"?

I'll try to paint more on the horses the following week, since I really want to finish another WE unit. Then maybe I'll paint my noble. And maybe I'll squeeze in some dryads Nag ;)
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

Ha! i love the gobbo! How do you get so inspired?

The horse looks amazing! can't wait to see the finished unit!

Are witch hunters good in Mordheim? It seems they have a lot of limitations (almost as much as the sisters! :eek: )

Who's the "shiny" Tree base for?
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Hehe I think it's the overall cuteness of the goblins that inspires me. That in combination with the inspiration I get from chirstmas of course. :)

Thanks. I'm glad you think so :D

Witch Hunters are okay I suppose. Flagellants can be very good with flails. Especially if you get more attacks, strength or weapon skill when they level. The bad thing with WH is that if you want a Captain, 3 Hunters and a priest you've got 4 heroes who start with 8-20 exp points. With full hero slots you start with 56 exp points, compared to the regular 36 of for example the Mercenaries variants. This means that your opponents might get extra exp since they can easily become underdogs if you win the first game.
But then again, I don't care if the warbands are good or not. Mordheim is even less about winning than Warhammer and 40k. It's about atmosphere, hanging out with friends and enjoying a very fun game where all sorts of wacky things happen all the time, and I don't think any warband sucks :)

Oh and the base will be for my great eagle.
Dezzo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dezzo »

Anadarkil, your horses are gorgeous!

If I didn't sell off my glade guard unit, i would be most inspired to repaint them!

top job on the rest of your stuff.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

Love the base for the eagle, especially the spirit coming out of it
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Silvanus Windstriker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Silvanus Windstriker »

I really LOVE your Christmas Gobbos! Wonderful! :D

Your Wood Elf miniatures are very well painted. Simply superb work! ;)
Conar
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Conar »

im having a bit of trouble painting my autumn glade guard as the colours dont seem to match

so if you wouldnt mind sharing the colour scheme for the glade guard in the pic with the dryads i'd be truely grateful :D
Tale Of Gamers

Brettonians!
Painted - 0
To be painted - 25
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14108
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

@Anardakil: you certainly made me look like a grubby little fool who only cares about winning :D

i didn't mean it like that...it was a miswording on my part. i wanted to know if they were fun to play, since they seem to have quite a few restrictions in their list....

i play pit fighters and high elves (extension warbands), any sugestions for models? (converting is not a problem at all)
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

looks great thanks for posting!
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback! :o ^^

Conar, there's a painting guide somewhere in this thread.

Ryikko: Okay. Well they really are fun to play :) They're not as restricted as Undead and The Possessed of you think about it. Also they have a very strong fluff and it's great to shout "Burn him/her/the witch/them/that" while playing ;P
SUggestions for models for Witch Hunters? Well the witch hunters of course! :D And militia/empire soldier conversions I suppose.

I have to confess, I haven't really painted anything at all.

So therefore I'll show you some Warhammer related art instead, so that you won't strike down upon me with an Exterminatus or something. eheh

A Nymph
http://shin0.deviantart.com/art/Forest-Nymph-68220430

A Treeman and a gobbolin
http://shin0.deviantart.com/art/Goblin- ... l-26395400

A Dryad
http://shin0.deviantart.com/art/Dryad-23002398

And a little cutie gobbo
http://shin0.deviantart.com/art/Cute-Goblin-39088612

Also, don't forget to say hello to Buckets, the lake gobbo
http://shin0.deviantart.com/art/Buckets ... n-21327542