Autumn Wood Elves

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cassarus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Autumn Wood Elves [updated w/ Eternal Guards & Spellsinger2]

Post by Cassarus »

Helt klart, mycket fina alver :nod:

Translation: I totally agree, really nice elfs :roll:
Last edited by Cassarus on 08 Feb 2010, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Let's remember this is an English-speaking forum guys and gals ;)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

Hello everyone. I'm not dead - really!

sorry for the mind-blowingly late update and replies :cry: I'm sorry there was no christmas update : ( and that the wait until this update was so freaking long. I've been busy. Had some rough times, broke up with my boyfriend, got a girlfriend ... and well I dont have access to my dad's awesome camera anymore since I live alone : P oh well enough with the personal excuses.
I now have 2250 pts Wood Elves painted and today there'll be a big update. And I promise there will be christmas gobbos this christmas!
I updated on warseer earlier, but that's because the 900 pixels wide limit annoys me :P

Thanks everyone :D

Tuthis: the gold is shining gold washed with ogryn flesh, highlighted and tidied up with shining gold, highlighted with shining gold/mithril silver 30/70 mix or something. The metal uses the normal silvery metal colours, with a blue wash. And yes the gems have gloss varnish on them :)

Skarlock: There's a guide to doing the autumn forest bases in the first page of the thread.

Lunar: the guide has the palette doesn't it? <.<

Herald: haha funny :D

Here's my second glade guard unit (the two leftmost elves from the front are from my first unit of 12, I now painted 8 more so I have two units of 10)

My first unit of wild riders (I have another one but seems like they'll be pretty crap in 8th ed : ( )
Notice the two female riders and the golden leaves on the behinds of the horses ^^ I feel the red leather on the horses is a bit flat, and I should probably have spent more time on those areas. But I had no time left 'cause I needed them finished for the Swedish Masters.

army shot : )

oooh... and btw! I took the full 2250 pts force to a tournament for the first time. I took it to the Swedish Masters. I won first place for best painted army and first place for best painted single miniature too (with my Ancient). I'm really happy : Dyeah yeah, brag brag brag, I'm just kinda proud :)

I speedpainted this noble for a tag team tournament earlier this year. I made some touch ups for the Swedish Masters. The paintjob is still a little bit rough here and there though : / I made some slight conversions but I really don't like the model. Still, I felt I should do something with the rider from the great eagle box set ^^
The rune on the shield is a hint of what item he carries while riding a great eagle btw. Can you figure out which one? He's pinned so I can easily put him on the great eagle if I want to : )

Next up is a model which I did not paint. My love painted a dark elf assassin a while ago. She went for a cold night colour scheme : ) She executed it pretty well if you ask me.

And here they are duelling. MR Autumn versus MR Winter : D who will win in a fight to the death?! Ugh, I gotta fix the noble's roughly painted blade : P

I'm currently working on some empire stuff but I'm gonna finish the bsb of course, and I'm thinking about sculpting a whole bunch of tree kin. :3
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, LM, E

Re: Autumn Wood Elves [updated w/ wild riders, glade guards ...]

Post by peterhof »

Awesome stuff Anardakil, veru colourfull and awesomely neat, this really pushes me to start painting again :D
You can push, but I will push back...only harder, much harder.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

I don't really need to add anything to the other comments.

But I just wanted to state that I really digg your Glade Guard. The way you are able to make the bows look wooden and the added strings and arrows are really awesome. :nod:

They make me wanna paint my own - and that's a compliment.

Alas, I promised a friend to paint his Necromantic Blood Bowl Team (and in yellow, orange & red to boot), so they will have to wait.

Ah, I need more time ... :cry:

If you do want me go nitpicking I would say the Eternal Guard might have needed a bit more contrast as a unit. But that's just that - nitpicking.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

This may just be my favorite wood elf color scheme on the entire forum. It's very well executed and its definitely influenced my own wood elf force. Good job! :3
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Congratulations on your awards, Anardakil, well deserved! When times are rough, the tough gets going... ;)

I really adore your scheme. The way you use toned down, but still clear, contrasting colours using the whole spectrum, is what does it for me. (This time around I can tell just what I like about them, meaning I actually learn something...).

I see two areas where you still could improve, though: The first is technical, and of course a question of how long you bother taking on each mini, but sometimes your highlights seem a little rough. My advice would be to try watering down your paints a little more, and do that extra layer (but then maybe I'm wrong...).
The second is the skin colour, which is a bit grey/black in the shades. Now I don't use black undercoat, so if you care, you'll find a better solution than I could suggest.

I'm pleased to see someone else going through the trouble of painting GG to their full potential. The models are lovely, but well, a pain to highlight, IMO... :roll:
Anardakil wrote:The rune on the shield is a hint of what item he carries while riding a great eagle btw. Can you figure out which one?
It's very similar to the rune for Le'Cai, light and nobility of the soul, but that doesn't help me much. Looking through the AB, though... It's the Hunter's talon, right? :cool:
akutat
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by akutat »

Wow, this truly is quite a beautiful Wood Elf army. You should be proud about having so well-executed army at your command. But as there isn't perfect army in world even these have few minor points which to improve. Herald mentioned roughness of highlights and that I just have to agree. And in skin point I also have to agree. Doing arrows to your Glade Guard is good idea but I think that those arrows look far too big. I would suggest using something thinner but there comes problem about how those will last without bending.
But these are just small points but also points which can be fixed with just small work. But in general this army has earned it's prizes so congratulations from them. Just don't get too drunk from shiny prizes ;). Keep up good work.
What higher you are the more harder you fall.
Jellitin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines

Post by Jellitin »

You know what? I'm almost glad I don't play Warhammer with you. Why? Because I'd have your army to compare to. It just wouldn't be fair.
Your Wood Elves lok AMAZING. Honestly, there are too many talented people on the internet... Still, this is one of, if not the best army I've seen.
So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?
-Cal Noughton Jr.
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Turin: Thanks, I'm glad you like them. Good luck with the blood bowl team. Yeah I have way too little time too :(
Hmm some more contrast? They're painted exactly as the glade guards but with golden armour and grey plumes. What would you have liked instead? :)

Milliardo: It always makes me happy to hear that. I spent ages coming up with what I thought would be the perfect autumn colour scheme, and people really like it :D

Herald: Thanks a lot :D
Yeah I wanted to have a toned down yet colourful army at the same time :) You are right that I should do some extra highlights here and there. The leather areas come to mind. Im thinking of going back to the wild riders and adding a stage to the leather. I do however always water down my paints.
How is the skin colour grey in the shades? I use scorched brown and then scorched/dwarf flesh, for shading. Maybe it's a bit too drab? With the new empire models I'm painting I'm trying a new scheme with dark flesh for shading, maybe that's the way to go. To get a little more life into the skin? hmm maybe it's the dwarf flesh/scorched brown mix that makes it look grey... Thanks for the constructive criticism :)
Yeah theyre great models. So damn much detail though. They never seem to be finished :P
Oh and it's the rune next to the Hail of Doom Arrow entry :)

akutat: Thank. I'm glad you like it so much :)
They're a bit too big yes but I'm not exactly going to make my own, not going to redo them all :P anyway there're a lot of weapons that are too big in warhammer so I don't think they look too out of place. I don't really want to go back and improve models I painted a long time ago. I'd rather keep going forward and improving as I go. :)
hehe dont worry, it won't get to my head. :P but yeah, I am proud :)

Jellitin: Haha sorry xD .. wow it's wonderful to hear you say that. I'm glad I could amaze you ;)
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I wanted to say something, but jealousy overwhelmed me.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Ihranil
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ihranil »

Wow Anardakil you rock! :D

I've been looking on the internet for autumn themed WE, I found your topic and WOW it's totally awesome :D you are a HUGE inspiration!

I'm really wondering what you used for the leaves which you used on the base, I read somewhere you used herbs from the kitchen. What can you recommend?

Also, do you use citadel sand and do you have some tips for painting it? I usually just glue it on unpainted, it looks good enough but yours is so much cooler.

Greetz,

Ihranil
This forest is not just our home, it's our family, our life and our duty to protect and serve.
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by peterhof »

Birch seeds is also a good way to go for leaves

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/24
Ihranil
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ihranil »

peterhof wrote:Birch seeds is also a good way to go for leaves

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/24
Awesome, never thought about something like that.
Now to find some birches :paranoid:
This forest is not just our home, it's our family, our life and our duty to protect and serve.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

I use both cooking herbs and birch seeds :)
inquisitor medina
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by inquisitor medina »

Hi

I've just got my wood elves out again. I last played in 5th and am excited about doing Wood Elves for 8th Ed (tough choice to catch up on, and a big change from my Nurgle). I've been looking for a few colour schemes for some inspiration when I came across this thread. It is hands down the best painting I've ever seen anywhere. It absolutely nails the way the army should feel.

I can't decide if it inspires me to try, or to look at my pathetically childish efforts and give up......at least nurgle is fairly forgiving!!

Your opponents must love playing such a wonderful army. (Bows humbly)
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

I hope you have much success with your 8th ed wood elves. It's a tough time for us, that's for sure. :)
I'd prefer that you'd get inspired and not the opposite ^^

I took an army shot yesterday. Unfortunately I forgot two dryads. So it features all of my painted WE miniatures .... minus 2 dryads. :crazy: urrrgh.
Oh well, there'll be another army shot when I've made some 8th ed additions.

So here it is My whole WE army .... minus 2 dryads <.<

Next I'm gonna paint four glade guard command models, and sculpt and paint 6 tree kin :)
Hisie Taur
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves, lizardmen; chaos spcae marines, eldar, and necrons

Post by Hisie Taur »

DUDE! i love your tree giant, it's awsome!
Calindor
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Calindor »

Very beautyful groupshoot. Love your army. You should be proud :) Shall be fun to see what you do with the treekin
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by peterhof »

Awesome group shot Anardakil, very nice ;)
powerofnature213
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by powerofnature213 »

Very good paint job:)
Jellitin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines

Post by Jellitin »

Hisie Taur wrote:DUDE! i love your tree giant, it's awsome!
I think you mean she's awesome. ;)

Nothing new to say here. Great work!
So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?
-Cal Noughton Jr.
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Hisie Taur
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves, lizardmen; chaos spcae marines, eldar, and necrons

Post by Hisie Taur »

okay i hadn't even noticed it had boobs till you even said something, didn't even know there were treewomen in the game.
Rutta89
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rutta89 »

Wow, they look amazing! :) Fine work with the colours. I was thinking of painting my glade guards in autumn-colours, and this inspired me. Great that you made a tutorial too ;) :thumbsup: