Autumn Wood Elves

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Make-up, yeah you know... stuff you use on your face when you want to look nicer
Fair enough...
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

Storm wrote:
Make-up, yeah you know... stuff you use on your face when you want to look nicer
Fair enough...
Did I offend you or something? If so then I apologize.
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Anardakil wrote:
Storm wrote:
Fair enough...

I don't think you offended him, I just think he's a little bit confused that a man would use make-up...:wink:

Great models as always Anardakil! Still love the Christmas gobbos so hope to see more in the future! Really impressed by the CSM stuff as well...

Keep up the good work :D
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Beithir Seun wrote:
Anardakil wrote:
Storm wrote: Fair enough...

I don't think you offended him, I just think he's a little bit confused that a man would use make-up...:wink:

Great models as always Anardakil! Still love the Christmas gobbos so hope to see more in the future! Really impressed by the CSM stuff as well...

Keep up the good work :D
Yeah probably. I'm not a man though. :evil: btw he lives in london. He must have seen a nancy boy or two. ^^

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah more gobbos will be sure to come. I'm gluing the rest of the regiment together.
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

I just think he's a little bit confused that a man would use make-up...
Spot on Beithir :nod:.
Yeah probably. I'm not a man though.
Now i'm even more confused... :confused:

btw he lives in london. He must have seen a nancy boy or two.
Fair play :wink:.

Lol, that's probably the most quotes within quotes i've ever seen! :lol:
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Loads of quotes yeah. ^^
Now i'm even more confused... confused
Did I ever say I'm a man? :paranoid: not from what I remember at least.

Now we've ventured quite a few steps from the topic but what the hell, it's my thread ;)

Say what colour should I paint the squigs by the way? Red gore won't cut it, 'cause it would look stupid of a red squig had a red hat. hmm..
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

yellow? (because yellow is a minor colour in the rest of the army)
how about snowball squigs?? :sexy:

speaking of snowballs, are you having any war machines in the CNG army? if so, how about a snowball 'lobba?
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Ryikko wrote:yellow? (because yellow is a minor colour in the rest of the army)
how about snowball squigs?? :sexy:

speaking of snowballs, are you having any war machines in the CNG army? if so, how about a snowball 'lobba?

I like the snowball squigs - they could be all furry...like snowflakes..... :sexy:

so if you're not a man.....does that mean you're a girl? :wink:
Cpt_NinjaPants
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Woodies, Hopefuly Empire, and Rome.

Post by Cpt_NinjaPants »

Anardakil wrote:to Cpt_NinjaPants: Ok. Well proportions in warhammer kinda suck ;P Hm you know, I've already described how I did the bow strings, at least once in this thread ;) You're not the first one to ask again even though I've already described it though.
But.. I wanted to... be special... :cry:

Yeah, warhamemr has awful porptions, atleast there getting better (OLD Dwarves anyone?)
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Did I ever say I'm a man? not from what I remember at least.
Then can i assume you're female?

Anyway, back on topic: yellow could work, especially if you do it like the night goblin moon colour...but i've got to admit i really like the idea of albino squigs. You could ink them or undercoat them in blue so they have a sort of icy colour...fur could be cool as well...especially if they're in a winter environment. Just imagine huge furry berseker squigs bursting out of a snow drift! :eek:
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Thanks for all the squiggely tips everyone :D
Hmm it's a tricky decision. Yellow squigs would tie in very well. It might look like they are somehow bouncy (and hungry) little avatars of the moon idol they seem to hold so dear (not that good with goblin belief. is the moon a symbol of mork or just a moon? or some other entity).
Snowball squigs would look very funny. I think it might be hard to pull off effectively though. But maybe I could use snow flock on them :O
On the other hand, furry squigs look really cool (they've been done before, they're in the 2002 warhammer annual I believe). It would be a serious pain to sculpt fur all over them though. Maybe I could paint snow flock with very watered down paint - it sucks paint up very well.

Oh and warmachines might find their way into the army eventually. Ryikko thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about using snowballs for ammunition. It would look great on a snow ball lobber :D
I have also thought of spear chukkas shooting those red and white striped candy bars (polkagrisar in swedish), but that might be a bit too much...
who am I kidding? Nothing is too much in this army! :D
so if you're not a man.....does that mean you're a girl? sly wink
Then can i assume you're female?
Well yeah, I believe so. :)
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

yay! snowball squigs!! if you think you'll have trouble sculpting fur, there are some nice tuts over at Ogre Stronghold :sexy:

i think the cand cane chukkas would be the absolute coolest things ever!!
lol you could have a crew member try to eat one....then get launched into the enemy.... :evil:

update soon
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Sethayla
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves... Lots and lots of points... whether they are painted or not... ugh

Post by Sethayla »

@Anardakil I believe that many on this forum assume that everyone without a name that makes it apparent that the person is female, is a male. There is a thread somewhere about the lack of female warhammer players. But once you said makeup, instead of assuming you are female, they assumed that you were a guy wearing makeup! Shows you how few females we see around GWs.
Nagathi wrote:Only on Asrai.org can a thread about a joke turn into a mature, serious and intellectual discussion. It's almost frightening...
How to use Glade Riders
How to use Eternal Guard
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Ryikko wrote:yay! snowball squigs!! if you think you'll have trouble sculpting fur, there are some nice tuts over at Ogre Stronghold :sexy:

i think the cand cane chukkas would be the absolute coolest things ever!!
lol you could have a crew member try to eat one....then get launched into the enemy.... :evil:

Agreed - snowball squigs and candy cane chukkas would be brilliant!!

Incidently, I've seen some furry squigs in Paul Gaynor's Night Goblins Horde (used by Phil Kelly in a not-so-recent UK WD BatRep against Gav Thorpe...) They're excellent and (as far as I can see) utilise some sort of scatter to make them furry....
Sethayla wrote:
@Anardakil I believe that many on this forum assume that everyone without a name that makes it apparent that the person is female, is a male. There is a thread somewhere about the lack of female warhammer players. But once you said makeup, instead of assuming you are female, they assumed that you were a guy wearing makeup!

That, and the fact that Anardakil's profile even says 'Male'..... :confused:

I think it's a deliberate attempt to confuse everyone.....and I'm easily confused :tear: :wink:
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Ryikko it's not that I think sculpting fur is difficult (definitely not an expert though), it's that it will take ages to sculpts so much fur. Haha yeah one gobbo HAS to eat on the ammo ;D

Ye Sethayla I guess that's true. I don't get why almost (only) guys are interested in this hobby.

To Beithir Seun: It does? O_o Didn't think there even was gender option on the profile. I'll change it.
Well I didn't confuse you deliberately.

Hmm Anardakil ain't really the most feminine of names I guess.

Well anyway, I'll experiment with fur and snow. Great feedback everyone. I love it when people chuck ideas my way. :nod:
Last edited by Anardakil on 06 May 2007, 19:57, edited 3 times in total.
Cpt_NinjaPants
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cpt_NinjaPants »

LIAR!
There are no girls on teh interwarbz!!!

Anyways, the snowbal thrower and the candy cane chucka sound like great ideas.

Huhg.. I wish i had talent..
Tolkar of Har Ganeth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tolkar of Har Ganeth »

On teh interwot?
Tolkar Elfslayer Manraider Draichwielder of Har Ganeth, from the house Arat.
Remember that name! It will be the words that I will carve on your soul the moment I rend it from your body!
Cpt_NinjaPants
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cpt_NinjaPants »

Tolkar of Har Ganeth wrote:On teh interwot?
Hmmm, you must be new the the nets, here let me show you around.
I have one peice of advise.

LURK MOAR!
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

There there children, be calm now :wink:

I'm halfway through painting my obliterator now and I think it will turn out at least as good as the last one, maybe better we'll see. The pose is a bit weird, but as his head is splitting in two I wanted both heads to shoot, which looks a little silly but what the hell XD
Taint!
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Taint! »

Concerning the squigs.

Rather than sculpting the fur you could experiment with glueing stuff to the model to add a texture. I have found that horses hair works very well (not always the easiest thing to come by though,) as an alternative you could use the hair from normal decorating brushes (cut down to the desired size obviously.)

This technique can work but your two tricky probs are
1/ securing the hair without leaving an evedent gluey texture (blobs of PVA or whatever it is you decide to use.)
2/ getting the fur to look like its all naturally growing in the same direction - not that a bristle brush effect would look bad on a squig.

PS - I love that this forum can involve stupid discussions and not have people moaning, theres nothing worse than a forum that takes itself too seriously.
Sethayla
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves... Lots and lots of points... whether they are painted or not... ugh

Post by Sethayla »

Good Idea!

I love the Christmas theme.
Nagathi wrote:Only on Asrai.org can a thread about a joke turn into a mature, serious and intellectual discussion. It's almost frightening...
How to use Glade Riders
How to use Eternal Guard
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Re: My Autumn Wood Elves painting blog [Warning: picture heavy!]

Post by Anardakil »

It's finally time for an update again!

I finished my dryads unit and the branchwraith and so I have 2 units and 1 character completely done. I thought it might be a good time to take a group shot.
I think they look splendid together. What do you think?

And here is a picture of my "free 6" wood" that I made quite a while ago.

Also, meet my second obliterator. His name is ... um ... Beefcake. Yeah that's it, really.

The next unit I'll paint is this unit of five glade riders. I cut off the grass thingies 'cause they looked way too big. And I repositioned some of the horses on the bases to make them look a little more dynamic (damn they'relovely models, these horsies). A few branches are discreetly used to make them less unstable.

I have also glued a load of gobbos :P but I need to get some more green stuff to make them christmassy.
Oh and I've played a lot of Morheim with my friends. Damn it's fun! I love that game. There are always so many funny things happening. Like one of my regular warriors kabob-ing twice in one battle - killing five enemies in total. He's now nick-named "The Spartan" - although he's pissed himself when confronted by a friend's dwarf slayer, Chewbacka. That meat ball was a beast. He took so much fire and chopping and killed us others in droves before he went down. If you haven't tried Mordheim - do it.

That's all for now! Bybye ^^
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Wow! Can't wait to see the finished army :wink:. Is the branchwraith in that picture and if so which one is she?..Can't really judge on the 40K thingy...cool little wood and looking forward to see the GRs painted, you're really good :nod:.

Oh, and christmas Gobbos FTW!!!! Must see more :D.
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom

Post by Anardakil »

Great to hear, Storm :) I'm glad you like my miniatures.

Well the branchwraith is there. She's a lightly converted dryad with an extra pair of arms and two spites. I know I could have done something a bit more spectatular but she looks okay, and I wouldn't want to use Drycha.

I'm too lazy to take another picture of the branchwraith alone but here's a rather crappy zoomed in pic of her:

Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Ah i thought it was that one, i wouldn't worry about it...the model looks great and the paintjob is just perfect! :nod:
Your models really inspire me to get to work on my Wood Elves...sadly they're last in line :roll:.