Why does everyone hate the GW Treeman?

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Spelling Police
Newcomer
Newcomer

Why does everyone hate the GW Treeman?

Post by Spelling Police »

El topico. I think it looks great... a lot better than most of the alternatives people come up with.

*ducks behind cover* :ph43r:
HowwwwL
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by HowwwwL »

I think it is fine too.
Thanathos
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Tau

Post by Thanathos »

I like it better also than everyring else i've seen, except the treeman ancient conversions on the GW WE site, those are very cool conversions.

Thanathos
Kragg the Dragon Lord on druchii.net
Wyvern Lord on da-warpath.com
Tal'Rasha on khemri.co.uk

+++ Team Mulligans +++
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

I STRONGLY dislike it, it does not look treelike at all unless you heavily convert it, I much rather prefer just adding some more folliage on Treebeard and cut out the hobbits. The treekin I can like because they're just dead wood anyway so they're entitled to not have many leaves or anything and lok a little twisted and such but the Treemen which are supposed to be living trees look more like something from that corrupted forest the beatmen live in.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Spelling Police
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spelling Police »

TerminusEst wrote:I STRONGLY dislike it, it does not look treelike at all unless you heavily convert it, I much rather prefer just adding some more folliage on Treebeard and cut out the hobbits. The treekin I can like because they're just dead wood anyway so they're entitled to not have many leaves or anything and lok a little twisted and such but the Treemen which are supposed to be living trees look more like something from that corrupted forest the beatmen live in.
OK then... I assume you've seen the Treeman conversion in the army book? Couldn't you just add clump foliage if you weren't happy with the amount of leaves?
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

I like the treeman, not as much as some models, but he's a vast improvement over the old models. The entire previous WE range looked like it stepped out of a cartoon, through the television, and onto a tabletop. Those treemen wanted to hug you, love you, squeeze you and call you "Earl."

The current model is great for conversion. I added six Dryad branches to give my 2nd treeman an arachnid appearance.

So awful? Not in my opinion. Brilliant? Not quite. But a good model and great for conversion? In my book, yes.
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Spelling Police wrote:
OK then... I assume you've seen the Treeman conversion in the army book? Couldn't you just add clump foliage if you weren't happy with the amount of leaves?
If you'd only read my post I never stated folliage is the only thing wrong with it, the model just isn't shaped treeish enough (again I point out treeebeard or any of his entourage form the movies that would have been perfect). Anyway just personal preference I don't mind if you like it although I think most people aren't too happy with it.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
a ghost
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, VC, Stunties, O&G / C:SM

Post by a ghost »

Couple of thoughts (...they flicker thru the space between my ears so briefly...): The GW Treeman model is OK. Much better than the old one. But smaller, and without the presence of the Treebeard model & the Ents. Love the spites, though. Given supplies and sufficient greenstuff, I'll convert. Maybe a hybrid....
"If the Truth can be told, so as to be understood, it WILL be believed..." - Terrence McKenna
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Post by MortenLarsen »

I must say that I'm not to happy with the Treeman, but he still is the best alternative, unless you know how to use greenstuff :)

I don't like that the Treeman seems to 4 legs...
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

Quercia dei Eternita
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elerrr...Vampire Counts!

Post by Quercia dei Eternita »

I STRONGLY dislike it, it does not look treelike at all unless you heavily convert it, I much rather prefer just adding some more folliage on Treebeard and cut out the hobbits.
You should be happy, like davidvc04 pointed out. Last edition they were as big as an Ogre and static as well. There was only 1 left in the stores, out of the 3 who were supposed to be there. He looked like a big ogre wanting to hug you, and as small as <b>[censored]</b> :P
The entire previous WE range looked like it stepped out of a cartoon, through the television, and onto a tabletop. Those treemen wanted to hug you, love you, squeeze you and call you "Earl."
Agree entirely :lol: Although I did like the Wardancers and WW's to a certain extent.

He looks entirely fine. The '4 legs' are supposed to be roots, I think.

Cheers,
-Q
http://www.vampirecounts.net - Home of the Vampire Counts
Dori
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Location: In the dark and mildly active crypt that some people call the Battle Report Section

Post by Dori »

I like the GW Treeman model along with the tree kin. I am also amazaed at how many people are converting their own. Too many IMO ;)

Dori
Ex Council Member
Check out my tactica's in my topic Dori's Tactica's
Quercia dei Eternita
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elerrr...Vampire Counts!

Post by Quercia dei Eternita »

Most times I like the GW one than the own made ones as well.

Cheers,
-Q
http://www.vampirecounts.net - Home of the Vampire Counts
Enendill
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Enendill »

I also find it very good. I also like the fact that it is easilly converted and can produce really unique models. But also the upcoming LoTR one is awsome...
Beware the one lurking in the shadows
SpOOn
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by SpOOn »

i hate the new treeman, hence i use a treebeard model... the new treeman looks like a wooden tyranid.. IMO
I aM NoT YoUr SpOOn ~
LAWGS Durthu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LAWGS Durthu »

i also dislike this model very much. I use a model from ultra forge for my treeman.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/u ... tview1.jpg

here is the pic from the website
Last edited by LAWGS Durthu on 25 Apr 2006, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin "Durthu"
Co-Founder of LAWGS.org

God is in his Heaven, All's right with the world -- NERV
a ghost
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, VC, Stunties, O&G / C:SM

New Giant Pack

Post by a ghost »

I really think that GW missed a huge opportunity with the new Giant model. He's really kool. I really like the sense of scale, motion and action in the model. This is where I think Treebeard and the Treeman model are lacking. But if they would've included Treeman and Bone Giant options in the pack, it would've been insanely great. For now I intend to snag a few bits from the Giant Pack and convert them onto a Treeman or two.
"If the Truth can be told, so as to be understood, it WILL be believed..." - Terrence McKenna
philleehellphia
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by philleehellphia »

MortenLarsen wrote:I must say that I'm not to happy with the Treeman, but he still is the best alternative, unless you know how to use greenstuff :)

I don't like that the Treeman seems to 4 legs...
I'd have to agree with that. I'm gonna have 0 luck with making it out of some other supply, and atleast it's decent. But if I don't have the money, it's most likely that i'll stratch build a treeman.
Heptzul
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Heptzul »

Someone at my club has taken the ent models etc and converted them, slightly, cut bits off etc and made his own treemen. And they look fine. It's not un-do-able. AND they look better than the Treemen blokes.
Minsc
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WFB: WE, WoC, Empire // 40k: Eldar, Orks, CSM, SM, IG.

Post by Minsc »

New treeman > old treeman imo. so 'everyone' don't hate it ;)
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

LAWGS Durthu wrote:
I use a model from ultra forge for my treeman.
That thing looks very good although bit rotund for my taste but I'd still take it over the current treeman although i don't know if I'd take it over my ent/treeman.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs, Wood elves, Beastmen, Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Kyte »

I dont like the GW treeman so much. it's very expensive and it looks like a lizard or a tyranid rather than a tree...
Coran GladeSwann
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Coran GladeSwann »

I'm not a fan of it having a tongue comprised of leaves (or a tongue at all actually)

The model didn't really impress me when the book came out but when the model itself did, I started liking it. It's not fantastic like other models in the WE range, but it's very convertable.
Dryads and Wardancers and Treemen...oh my!
Ice Weasle
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ice Weasle »

i thinnk that as they can do the giant that big in plastic there is alot of potential for there to be a homongous plaggy treeman with lots of spare bits and spites and stuff. ok so its only just come out it another in plastic will take years to release but it will be worth the wait.
Now i dont worship Slaanesh. but i do have a healthy amount of respect for ANYONE that can be called the God of Pleasure by thousands.

also please visit the ben marshall podcast.

http://benmarshallpodcast.podomatic.com/
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Post by MortenLarsen »

I just found another reason why the GW treeman isn't that great, take a look at this: http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/i ... =MASQ35010
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Nice link but I can trump that with a treeman so weird it will make you cringe. http://www.coolminiornot.com/99530
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH