LadyLoec's Guardians of the Shadowglade

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

LadyLoec's Guardians of the Shadowglade

Post by LadyLoec »

A sampler of my army. Apologies for the shoddy pictures - I gave the "how to" my best shot, but they came out terrible. Will give it another go in some natural light and see if I fare better!

Fluff for my guys is that they live in the shadowglade, between Modryn and Talsyn - a glade in perpetual twilight (hence shadow mage, dark elf conversions, lots of hoods etc) and Loec is their patron god (of course :wink: )
Attachments
Bonus: my "4 horsemen" from my vampires army. War is a blender lord and she goes in a unit of blood knights, famine is a wight king in a unit of skellies, pestilence is a ghoul king in a crypt ghoul unit, and death is my master necromancer in a unit of black knights
Bonus: my "4 horsemen" from my vampires army. War is a blender lord and she goes in a unit of blood knights, famine is a wight king in a unit of skellies, pestilence is a ghoul king in a crypt ghoul unit, and death is my master necromancer in a unit of black knights
WIP spell markers - the spites are for augments, thorns and skulls/waystones for hexes, arrows for anything else.
WIP spell markers - the spites are for augments, thorns and skulls/waystones for hexes, arrows for anything else.
WIP unit fillers for my big unit of wildwood rangers (which I will one day actually paint)
WIP unit fillers for my big unit of wildwood rangers (which I will one day actually paint)
Isciira - Shadow weaver (converted DE sorceress). Unfortunately used a new wash and turned her a bit shiny. Bodice is made of army painter ivy leaves.
Isciira - Shadow weaver (converted DE sorceress). Unfortunately used a new wash and turned her a bit shiny. Bodice is made of army painter ivy leaves.
Elora - Damsel turned Spellsinger - made her to be lore of life, but tend to run her as a beasts mage nowadays
Elora - Damsel turned Spellsinger - made her to be lore of life, but tend to run her as a beasts mage nowadays
Glade guard (these with banner of eternal flame) - Usually field 2 units of 20 at 2400pts
Glade guard (these with banner of eternal flame) - Usually field 2 units of 20 at 2400pts
Lianthorn - my Waystalker (converted DE assassin)
Lianthorn - my Waystalker (converted DE assassin)
Dryads - I have 3 units the same.
Dryads - I have 3 units the same.
Felbriar - one of my Treemen.
Felbriar - one of my Treemen.
My tree kin - made from an assortment of odd bits, but mostly citadel wood, dryads, bits of giant.
My tree kin - made from an assortment of odd bits, but mostly citadel wood, dryads, bits of giant.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: LadyLoec's Guardians of the Shadowglade

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Thanks for these, really naturalistic effect here.

Especially like the Waystalker!
mousekiller
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mousekiller »

I love the use of the models, can't wait to see some blood and gore on them!

When I first started painting (and in to the first 5 or 6 years) I struggled with photographing mini's. If I am being honest, I still do. Here are a few tips that I picked up:

Use a tripod. Any small motion will cause the picture to be blurry, even if you think you have a steady hand it still blurs it.

Use the macro mode (looks like a little flower) on your camera.

Use the 10 sec time delay, that way you touching the camera doesn't cause it to move.

Some more advanced things you can do is to get a shadow box, lamps, light diffusers, etc.... I made one for myself with foam board, tracing paper, and a couple of lamps. Even still, I try to take pics in the light of the day so that I can get rid of any chance at shadows.

Background noise... I am still trying to figure this one out. Some people say blue is the best, some black, some white. I suppose it is how you see the colors of your mini in real life compared to what you think you are seeing in the pictures.

Great job so far! This army will be formidable!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Thanks guys - tripod added to my amazon wishlist!! I have been doing lots of building and not much painting lately, so will aim to get some more photos up soon
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Definitely second the recommendation for a tripod, it's made my photo-taking 100% easier. While you're waiting for one though, one trick I've found is to build a pile of large solid flat objects (books, boxes etc.) to the appropriate height, and sit the camera on top of that. I won't have the same range of angles that a tripod can give you (I.E. you can't really take top-down pictures doing it) but it has a similar effect of stabilising the camera so it stays focused much better.

I'm not sure whether you already do this or not, but another important tip is don't take the picture right away. Get the camera to focus first (in my experience this is usually done by keeping the 'take picture' button only slightly depressed, but newer cameras might be different), and check to see that its focused onto the right object. It also pays to take several pictures of the same angle so that you have a bunch of different 'takes' that you can choose from.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.