REPOST: Winter Basing Tips

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Zhorphorus
Newcomer
Newcomer

REPOST: Winter Basing Tips

Post by Zhorphorus »

"Hello all. I was hoping for some modelling, but more accurately, basing tips and help as I've got quite a good winter colour scheme going on at the minute and am stuck on how to do the bases.

I know what I want them to look like. I want them to look like the forest floor from Assassin's Creed 3 when it's wintery.http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 775804.jpg

So this entails thickish snow, some dead bushes, possibly some trees on bigger models/eagles. Does anyone know good ways to get this effect?

I recently bought some leafless bushes from ebay that are primarily used for model train sets and was hoping to trim them down and spray them, then cover them in a light dusting of snow but now they've arrived I'm a bit unsure again. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271585560267? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I know it'll probably all look stupid until the finished project, just like most painting does, but I'm just worried about wasting money/time. I live in the UK for delivery purposes if you do recommend anything bought online for extras.

Thanks in advance,
Zhorphorus."

This was the message I posted in the other forum because I couldn't find this one. Just wondered what techniques/tips users of this forum would use for the effect I'm trying to go for (see the link above). Also would like some opinions on the conversions of the bushes that I've bought.

Thanks, Zhorphorus
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: REPOST: Winter Basing Tips

Post by youngseward »

Im doing my woodies with a winter theme as well. I get a nice fluffy snow look by going a mix of pva to white paint (Roughly an 8:1 ratio of pva:paint, possible more, you dont need all that much paint) and using that mix to glue on modelling snow (I use gw stuff for convenience but Im sure there are just as good alternative brands). Once that dries, I do another layer of the modelling snow stuck on with just pva without any paint mixed in. It gives it a nice depth an looks very clean.
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.