Basing Techniques, Tutorials and Tips?

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Basing Techniques, Tutorials and Tips?

Post by yanchusart »

Hello fellow Asrai,

I am trying to collect as much input as I can and was hoping to hear from all of you. I am looking for basing techniques, tutorials, and tips in regards to Woodland themes. If you guys know of any, have made some yourself or would like to share some of your knowledge I think it would be most helpful to me, as well as others.

Thanks for your time!

Yanchus
yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Basing Techniques, Tutorials and Tips?

Post by yanchusart »

For example- here are some of the materials that I have been experimenting with.

I wanted to learn about making bases that look like trees, woods, etc. Any thoughts or tips?
Attachments
Basecraft-Autum-Basing.jpg
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28906

Check out the above. This guy has mastered the art of basing. I don't know the details of how he does it but you can certainly see what you could be shooting for. There are other posts concerning basing on the site as well. Good luck.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

I have found a good cheap way of basing for my autumn themed WE is to use "mixed herbs" from a supermarket or similar outlet; just PVA glue to base, allow to dry overnight, shake off access material, then add three or four patches of different browns. Not Golden Daemon standard by miles; but a good usable Club level table top presentation.

Good Luck Yanchusart
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Well, it's simple, but here is my technique :

I use superglue in dots around the base ( larger patches for bigger bases) and dip it in sand (fine white sand from a beach)

I then paint the base. I use a dark green then drybrush on layers with more white added to the mix for each layer. This way I get something resembling glowing moss, (think the forest floor in avatar here)

I then add a mix of glade grass, green turfs and green clump foilage in patches where I didn't glue on sand.

Quite easy but effective.

For bigger bases and for characters I add on bits and bobs like the parts in various kits like the dryad, glade guard and glade rider kits.
If I want stones I use cork or bark and paint it like rock. Bark makes fine slate rock this way.
This is the best example where I've used all these things

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/09 ... c284be.jpg[/img]
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

Just started doing mine again for AoS. How about something like this?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Hey I love the rocks. How did you work the slot-rails with the rocks? I assume you just cut them off and super glued the plastic figures straight onto the slate? How do they do for durability? My guess is that you have to be careful with them but that's ok they look great and it's worth taking extra care for.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

This is how I do my bases.

First I glue some extra bits to some of the bases, usually some branches from extra parts from dryad kit. Then glue on a mix of flock and small stones I bought roughly 10+ years ago. Then paint the bases with few drybrushed layers. After the paint I use a brush to apply PVA glue to about 40-60% of the base area and then apply "Spring undergrowth" foliage from GF9. "Clump foliage mix" from GF9 will be used to cover the branches to make small trees/bushes, and some directly to base. Flowers and grass tufts from army painter will finish the base.

Takes some time (mostly waiting the glue to dry) to make the bases, but it is well worth it.
Attachments
Treeman_base_WIP.jpg
Treeman_base.jpg
Sisters_bases.jpg
Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

Not sure about durability as I've only just put them on their bases but hopefully the super glue will hold. With the metal slot I'm still working out if I can cut the metal off a pin them on somehow. Got a load of older eternal guard to do so I hope it's not too tricky!
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Jezandu wrote:Not sure about durability as I've only just put them on their bases but hopefully the super glue will hold. With the metal slot I'm still working out if I can cut the metal off a pin them on somehow. Got a load of older eternal guard to do so I hope it's not too tricky!
I have cut the slot-rails off of metal figures and then drilled a pin hole up into their feet/legs and then pinned them onto unconventional bases. If you don't have a pin vice or a Dremmel Tool you will need one. I usually make the holes the same size as a paper clip and then just use straightened out paper clip wire for the pin. Cheap and easy. If you want something stronger/harder you can get it at any hobby store. (RC airplane control wire is great for this.) I don't know how hard the stone you're using is but you might have trouble getting through it with conventional drill bits.

I was looking at the stones sticking out over the edges of the bases and I was thinking; "Those things are never going to rank up!" Well duh. :p
yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by yanchusart »

Thanks for all of the feedback you guys, its certainly very helpful.
Now I was also curious about the "tree" look that some of you achieve when basing, like the ones in this picture. What do you recommend using to get this look? Actual tree pieces or a combo of certain materials.
Thanks
Attachments
1BWUWH2WMKCHO355.jpg
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Those are "special" resin bases.. Bought from third parties.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by yanchusart »

nXken wrote:Those are "special" resin bases.. Bought from third parties.
Thanks for the feedback- I am trying to find where I can order something like them, does anyone have ideas :)
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Microartstudio?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Silverleaf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Silverleaf »

Here is a link to an online supplier in downtown T.O. so you shouldn't have to pay too much for shipping. The site says they have a store on Spadina but I don't know if they do onsite sales, but you could call. Might save you shipping altogether if you are ever downtown!
I already checked, they do carry the micro art studio forest bases and currently have some in stock!

Cheers

http://www.meeplemart.com
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.ca/2009/1 ... tml#basing

Jarhead is the Batman of the miniature hobby world.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by yanchusart »

Much appreciated guys! I am going to check out Meeplemart today