The Red Danes Wood Elves and Sylvaneth. Picture heavy.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

The Red Danes Wood Elves and Sylvaneth. Picture heavy.

Post by the_red_Dane »

Well then! I finally got started putting my models together, so I'll be updating my progress here.

I have a few images to start off with.

Concept painting for my Dryads, I'm thinking of also adding a glow to the mouth, just to keep it all together, since they do have their magical song ability. This is actually the only model I have finished so far in regards to my Wood Elves/Sylvaneth force.

I tried painting a horse, I'll admit that it's the model I'm having the most difficulty with, for some reason I have trouble painting our four legged companions. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Concept model for my way watchers, using the Wild Wood Ranger body/head, along with snassy looking Glade Guard bows and a misc of hands. Anyone know where I can get quiver bits? It's a bit shame that my way watchers will be without quivers.

My Spellweaver concept model, I'll have to add some of my brass leaves and such to cover up the cape area, I'll most likely also be using the owl from the Dryads set with him (because every wizard needs an owl) And yes, that is a Dark Eldar head he's gonna be fitted with, from the Venom sprue I believe. Not entirely sure. I may rotate the left hand so it looks more like he is shooting it, though it may also end up looking like a nazi salute. :P

So, this is what I have so far, the bases are going to be themed as "deep forest" so dark greens, tree trunks and lots of undergrowth, as I did for my Circle of Oroboros, pictured here:

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: The Red Danes Wood Elves and Sylvaneth. Picture heavy.

Post by Kaese »

The dryad paint job looks nice and especially the glow effect on the eyes and runes. Conversions look promising. I especially like the ranger body with a bow. It looks good and is way easier to do than conversions from shadow warriors. I went that way and they are still WIP :roll:

Painting horses is actually a lot easier than it looks. Forget drybrush and try to paint layers to make the depth. The hair(?) on horses is actually really smooth unlike fur. The surface is so big that it is much easier to practise layering compared to infantry models.

I used ink to shade the dark areas after base color. Then mixed base color and lighter color to paint over raised surfaces and then just the lighter color over the most raised areas. Quite easy to do and looks good. Some people skip the ink and paint more layers.
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Thank you for the compliments. Yeah, I decided against shadow warriors because they seemed too "metal" with their equipment, I want as little metal in my army as possible. I may still buy a pack of Shadow Warriors simply for the draw hands and quivers.

I also have some brass etched ivy vines and leaves that I plan to use rather liberally with various models, especially spellweaver and way watchers.

And thanks for the suggestions for horses, my usual method is to paint models one color, then wash them with either black or brown and layer/dry brush them with the original color again.
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Super quick evening update:

Got a bit more done on my spellweaver, attached head and adjusted hand.

Also adding a picture from the back of model along with the cape to be attached, aaand the brass etch ivy I'll be using as well to do some cover work, maybe wrap around the staff.

Not sure where to put his owl, I may set a tree stump on his base where it can perch.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

Very nice, did you follow the glowing eyes tutorial from the forum?

as for the horse painting, i saw a video on youtube detailing, how to paint good horses, he used a lot of layering to recreate the horse hair effect, i thought he had some good tips. Think his youtube account was docter faust's painting clinic.

The spellweaver, wont his staff get in the way when you put him in a unit?
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Rafiki wrote:Very nice, did you follow the glowing eyes tutorial from the forum?

as for the horse painting, i saw a video on youtube detailing, how to paint good horses, he used a lot of layering to recreate the horse hair effect, i thought he had some good tips. Think his youtube account was docter faust's painting clinic.

The spellweaver, wont his staff get in the way when you put him in a unit?

I've seen that video yeah, it seems a bit too advanced for me to start out with.

As for the eyes, actually no. I just tried my luck. xD But it's pretty much the same method I used.

And finally, staff won't be a problem since I play AoS exclusively. Round bases and heroes aren't put into units. Though I am considering if I can make him just "hold it normally", ie, staff butt to the ground, but the SotT staffs are held to close to the bottom so it makes it a bit harder.