Planned Wood Elf Standard Bearer

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

jgibz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Planned Wood Elf Standard Bearer

Post by jgibz »

I have had this standard bearer model for awhile, and I want to plan the color scheme before I start painting. This is NOT a painted mini, but a Photoshop overlay of the model. Because of the overlay, the colors may not come across perfectly (e.g., the scarf and the belt are supposed to be the same color).

I am trying to go for a more realistic look than a fantasy look. Please give me feedback on the color choices; what you like or do not like.

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Planned Wood Elf Standard Bearer

Post by Kaese »

I've had the same idea for few months but the lack of other uses have kept me from renewing the suscription for photoshop. Its good to see somebody actually experimenting with the colors with photoshop.

For me the realistic colors for wood elves have always been different shades of browns and greens found in the nature. I admit the colors you chose look really nice and balanced for realistic look. I would still try to change the light blue bottom robes to light green. Probably the same green as seen on the robes but slightly lighter shade.

P.s. I think it looks better with the scarf and belt slightly different. It kind of adds realism as it would be difficult to make cloth and leather to have same tint and texture. :)
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I am going to be harsh now. All this with photoshop is waste of time, in my opinion. Too much philosophy. I'd rather take a brush in hands and paint the model up in colors I want. Experimenting in PS is unwanted complication. If you are looking for less "fantasy" colors, go outside; take a picture of some park/forest/nature and take a look to see what colors are represented. You can't miss in that way.

Colors in picture looks good. But, that's not how its going to be. When you finish up with your mini it wont look at all as the one you've shown here. Not even close. Also, that staff of the banner looks like you've bought it in Ikea, made out of fabricated wood, coated with some protective thing. Make it darker or lighter to look more realistic.

Be careful with realistic over fantasy looks. Army might end up dull, I'd say monochromatic because I lack the words to describe it. But, on the other hand, it might be really fantastic. Here's one anecdote: a friend of my painted his models (beastman or elves, i think) so that they'd blend with terrain- forests especially. His... "tactics" were that people would forget about those models because they wont be able to see them so blended into enviroment. After several games he managed to lose all his models (only few models to be precise, like 2-5, painted very badly) because not just his opponents forgot about them hiding in the woods, but he forgot about them also. :lol:
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
jgibz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by jgibz »

I agree that the mini is not going to look exactly like the colors that are depicted in the image. However, I disagree that it is a waste of time to create a mock up in Photoshop for two reasons:

1. I am not a great artist so creating a mock up seems important. Although I bet even great artists test things out before beginning on the final artwork.

2. I was not sure what I wanted as far as color schemes. So, just starting to paint seemed like a bad idea. I agree that art is not "completely" a science and should have an opportunity for emergent expression, but starting from a completely blank canvas and just going with the flow does not seem like it will typically have great results.

Thank you both for your comments.
Tidings
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Goblins, Tau

Post by Tidings »

Starting with photoshop is a great way to plan things out. I do the same. Since I use photoshop 8-10 hours a day for work it's very fast and natural, and I actually get the colors quite closely matched between the planning and the end result.

As for your colors, I think they look great! The blue is more of a fantasy look, and since you said you were interested in a more real look, I'd go a but more muted or darker with the blue. But if you don't mind going the more fantasy route, it looks great, and will work nicely for making the model stand out.

-Tidings