First model from a batch of Dryads :)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Villo
Newcomer
Newcomer

First model from a batch of Dryads :)

Post by Villo »

Could not share direct image here, so heres the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iacxrrw12jofk ... 6.JPG?dl=0

This is my test model, of a batch of 36 Dryads. Beginning of my all tree forest spirit army :) Planning to do some conversions on wildriders tough :P Do you like it? any ideas/improvements?

Oh and this was my first post, so yay! :P
Yojimbo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: First model from a batch of Dryads :)

Post by Yojimbo »

Love it! You've got really good definition on the tattoo/knots in the bark and I really like your use of the foliage, what is it and where did you get it from? I'm not a huge fan of the glowing stuff people have been doing recently so seeing a more 'naturalistic' dryad is refreshing!
From tiny twiglets mighty treemen grow.
Villo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Villo »

Thank you! :) The foliage is from Woodland scenics, Medium green clusters

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. ... -MG/page/1

I noticed that there's at least 2 variety of green in the bag, as can be seen from the model if you look closely. Planning to take small clusters and add some brighter green on the darker areas for some variety :)
Yojimbo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Yojimbo »

Thank you[emoji17] I noticed you'd used two different colours. It looks good.
From tiny twiglets mighty treemen grow.
Berik
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Berik »

Can you tell us which colors you used please? I can not find recipe which I would like but yours look really good.
Villo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Villo »

Berik wrote:Can you tell us which colors you used please? I can not find recipe which I would like but yours look really good.
I'll do a quick guide tomorrow when I get home. Basically it's just brown basecoat, couple of overbrush layers and washes. Quick and easy and good for painting lot's of models to tabletop standards quickly :P
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Nice work!
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

Impressive work.
Villo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Villo »

So here's a quick guide how I did the model. I've listed the paints I used, but other suitable colours can of course be used :)

1) Spray undercoat of Armypainter Leather brown. As thin as possible.
2) Light overbrush of Vallejo Tierra Earth.
3) Even lighter overbrush of 2 parts of Tierra Earth and 1 part of Vallejo Khaki.
4) Light drybrush of Khaki to the upper surfaces and edges of model.
5) Thin wash of Citadel Nuln oil. Use a big dry brush to wipe excess off after wash.
6) Light drybrush of Khaki to the upper surfaces and edges of model.
7) Pick up the leaves, eyes, mouth,upper facial area and other greenish detail on model with Citadel Death world forest.
8) Pick up the edges and upper part of this area with Citadel Elysian green.
9) Drybrush green areas with carefully with Citadel Nurgling green. At this point apply this drybrush to the lighter area of runes on the bark aswell.
10) Wash of Citadel Athhmodian camoshade.
11) Drybrush of Nurgling green on green area and runes.
12) Pick up small dot of 1 part Citadel Bleached bone and 1 part of Nurgling green to the inmost upper part of eye socket.
13 ) You're done! Spray protective coat of Citadel 'Ard coat. After dry take the gloss off with Army painter Satin varnish. After the model is dry, use PVA glue (I've used hob-e-tac) to the parts where you want foliage. Wait untill the glue is tacky and apply the foliage. I sprayed tho model, once again with Satin varnish to hold the foliage together.

*Forgot the bases. But thats just basic PVA-glue base, add sand, watered down nuln oil on brown undercoat. Drybursh with Khaki. Wash of Camoshade, done :)
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

That is really good to know that spay varnish wouldn't soak up the foliage in a way that it would ruin the looks. I also have some dryads (48 :roll: ) in the pipeline and I have had some concerns on how the transportation will affect on the foliage. Hopefully this varnish "trick" will help to reduce some damage.

The test model looks nice, and it will look even better when there is a horde of them :D