Painting Mounts and Riders Seperatley?

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Painting Mounts and Riders Seperatley?

Post by yanchusart »

Hello guys,

I am in the process of painting my Glade Riders and needed a little bit of advice. I decided to paint the mounts separate from the riders and was wondering if anyone has experience with this method. I am looking to drill a tiny hole into the bottom of the rider, somehow securing it to some type of metal pin, or paperclip, and then into a wooden dowel or something.

Does anyone recommend a certain way of doing this. Please let me know what you have tried and what works best for what you've done. Feedback is appreciated.

The picture is more or less what I am trying to achieve.
Attachments
IMG_0330.jpg
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: Painting Mounts and Riders Seperatley?

Post by Hyarion »

That's how I do my riders (at least, the ones that can separate from the mounts). It's as simple as you described, and it allows you to get a great paint job around the edges where the rider meets the mount.

I glue the pin into the rider, and then drill a hole in the back of the steed because that will help keep the rider on the steed; 6th edition wild riders being particularly finicky.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Painting Mounts and Riders Seperatley?

Post by Billthesurly »

I drill and pin all riders to mounts. Since I am still using metal figures I usually wind up pining the torso to the abdomen/legs. I leave the pin sticking out of the figures butt (well that's what it looks like!) about 1/4 inch and that part of the pin goes into the mount. I usually use rather stout paper clips, straightened out and cut to length, for pins.

While painting I insert the pin in a pre-drilled hole in a cheap restaurant chop stick. (I use chop sticks for lots of things.) Now I have something about 8 inches long to hold on to while I am painting and I can turn the figure all sorts of angles to get at all surfaces easily.

I usually add things like shields and banners last so that they don't get in the way. If customizing weapons do that before you begin to paint. If using metal figures, file the paint off the gluing surfaces as paint makes a very weak glue interface. Plastic to plastic works fine.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.