Tips and Tricks for Painting Rune Stones?

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Tips and Tricks for Painting Rune Stones?

Post by yanchusart »

Hello fellow Asrai,

I am just wanting to know if anyone can give me some tips or tricks for painting rune stones. Like the one pictured, I want to paint them with a "glowing effect". Is anyone aware of any tutorial or anything on youtube?

Thanks!

Dylan
Attachments
DryadRuneStone.JPG
DryadRuneStone.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: Tips and Tricks for Painting Rune Stones?

Post by Blackcat »

Pick the colour you want I usually use blue and then paint the lightest blue in the recess and work your way out getting darker. Then paint a light blue edge highlight on areas where the light would reflect. For example the edge of the root where light would reflect onto. It's a bit hard to explain, but it's not hard. Just use a lamp and look how the light reflects.
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Tips and Tricks for Painting Rune Stones?

Post by Kaese »

Just remember to use watered down paint for the glow effect, so that the original surface is still visible. This is extremely important if you try to extend the glow effect farther away from the source. The mix should be something like 1:10 or even 1:20.

I tried this on a sister of thorn model few months ago and the result was quite nice. You can see how the glow from the witchfire tints everything into shade of blue, but the base colors are still there to make everything a little more realistic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuuk7i72fz0bg ... s.jpg?dl=0

If you want to keep it simple, there is always this tutorial you can use.
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15440