Forest Dragon Conversion advice

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Nartus Hilum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Tau, Adaptus Mechanicus, Wood Elves

Forest Dragon Conversion advice

Post by Nartus Hilum »

Been a while since I posted anything. Been busy fighting Dwarves and Vampires and the dreaded Real Life. Anyway, I am looking to do an interesting conversion for a forest dragon to fit the theme of my Wood Elves. I am doing a winter theme with them. Using the winter color scheme in the army book. I have been using Fenrisian Wolves for a thematic Wildriders. I am planning on using a thunderwolf for a Glade Lord on stag. But on to the dragon...

I wanted to do a wolf/dragon of sorts to fit the theme. I am looking for a good model for the dragon. I like the GW one but I was looking for something a bit more dynamic in the pose or more akin to the European Dragon. After finding the model. I was think of either doing fur sculpts with green stuff or, if it exists, a fake fur that I could attach to the model to have a half fur and scale design to the dragon. Of course the fur would have to be fine so that It would not look out of place.

Any advice would be great. the only suggestions I have found for the dragon models is that of the Forgeworld one and I don't want to spend that much quite yet.
W/L/T Everwinter Guard
4/4/1
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Forest Dragon Conversion advice

Post by Billthesurly »

Whoa. You have set yourself a tough row to hoe. A wolfish dragon. I like it. I don't know how good you are at sculpting but you might be able to replace the dragon's head with a wolf's head if you can find one that matches up size wise. Using greenstuff to continue the wolf's "mane" down the back of the dragon would look cool. You might even be able to replace the dragon's claws and feet with a wolf's paws - again if you can find something of comparable size. Sounds like a great idea. Good luck with it.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I don't think the forest dragon lends itself easily for big conversions.. but I don't have much experience with conversions anyway. Just be sure to post pics of the result in here.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I like the idea. :thumbsup:

First thing that comes up to my mind is the asian looking dragon. Here is the reference, hope that link will work:
https://www.google.com/search?q=asian+d ... kUCh0iqgCI

Few things you might do, and which might look good:
1.) Mane - like that of the lion; also I've seen good examples in the link above (hope it works)
2.) Beard-like fur - under the chin that stretches and thins out over the belly
3.) Furry tail end
4.) Fur patches instead of "fins" that usually grow at the middle of dragons' back, you know the one that stretches along is whole neck, body, and tail
5.) Whiskers - its not wolfy, but it would go nicely with the beard/mane

Also you could do small patches of fur around his nails/claws, and furry eyebrows. Everything else may stay scaly.

Heck, if all else fails, you can go for the Falcor! :D
(I hope you know who Falcor is)
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

OW personally I think a wolf dragon will not look good anyway. I'd just get a HUGE wolf/ werewulf model and proxy it with the dragon stats. (http://www.bol.com/nl/p/pluche-wolf-knu ... 020703445/)
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Hi there,

I think you have set yourself a huge task, I think a Manticore or Griffon might be a better starting point than the Forest Dragon, anyway good luck, hope you find the model you need to do this!

Love the idea of Wild Riders on wolves, good point about being the Hunter not the prey BTW.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

The pose isn't super dynamic, but it's far more "European" than the current WE Dragon: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dragon
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

I used the Nazgul model as a base for my forest dragon. I green stuffed in the scales individually which is kinda similar to what you are thinking about doing with fur. It takes ages but I am really happy with the result.The nazgul model is nice (and plastic) and it would give you a decent base to start with. You can see some pictures of mine on my blog: http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28208

However, If you are "winter theming" then I would probably recommend the high elf dragon jumping off the rock - more "mountainy." Or like someone else said, find a big wolf model and bang it on a chariot base. You could even convert the space wolves chariot character dude to justify the "flying movement" and bigger base. Maybe get a big wolf to pull it rather than the smaller ones.

Fur on a dragon would look strange, but this is a fantasy world after all.

On a side note. I would also wait until July when it will be clearer what is happening with WHFB. You don't want to do all the work and spend the money if you cant use it in 3 months time.
Nartus Hilum
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nartus Hilum »

Thanks for all the advice! I know about the reset with sigmar. Kinda hoping that I don't need to re-buy too much. But for the dragon, yes the high elf dragon can work plus the rider bits could be fun to use. The idea for the conversion came more from the Zinogre.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Zinogre

So a fur dragon can work as I was going for small bits of fur here and there as stated previously.

I have done sculpting before on my centaur like spellweaver and counting her as having a unicorn mount. But I am still a novice. But a challenge is good.

Anyway I better buy more green stuff for my glade lord on great wolf I mean stag [emoji13]
W/L/T Everwinter Guard
4/4/1
henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

I really like the idea actually. The link you posted isnt very dragon-like though.

I would be inclined to use something less dragon-like if that's what you are going for. What comes to mind is something like an Ogre Kingdoms stone horn (just have to build a new head) or a WoC slaughter brute (more fur required) as a base, rather than a dragon.
Nartus Hilum
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nartus Hilum »

I know that the link is not that dragon like but the idea of fur and scales can work in some form. I have looked at the Ogre kingdom model and I'm not too sure on how to handle the sculpt.
W/L/T Everwinter Guard
4/4/1
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

Just whatever you do, dont get a metal model for the base of the conversion. It is seriously too much effort.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

henrypmiller wrote:I really like the idea actually. The link you posted isnt very dragon-like though.

I would be inclined to use something less dragon-like if that's what you are going for. What comes to mind is something like an Ogre Kingdoms stone horn (just have to build a new head) or a WoC slaughter brute (more fur required) as a base, rather than a dragon.
Yes just a large wolf, not a wolf-dragon. A wolf dragon is just.. odd imho and will probably look odd too :D

Now for some serious idea from me:

Use the chimera

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Chimera

It's a flying monster so would fit as a template for dragon. One of the heads is a bit furry already. The tusks are weird but they are seperate pieces on the sprue I seeI guess that head could be made too look wolfy if you have skills with greenstuff etc. YOu could either go for that as a single head if that can be put on the torso (I don't know if the head would look to small or not). OR you could go to a bits shop or something andget a total of 3 of these heads, make them wolfy and have a sort of 3 headed wolf cerebrus. The tail you could eitehr replace with a complete wolfy tail or just put a wolf's head on the end instead of that snake. With some more greenstuff you could probably cover a greater part of the body in furr too.

If I say so myself.. the best suggestion in the topic.
Nartus Hilum
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nartus Hilum »

Hm, the chimera could work but I would need to see what the body is like. I just need to find a video that shows how it's built so I can see the front prior to the heads going on.. Right now I have a high elf dragon I just picked up and is unopened just in case there is something better. Maybe I should just add fur like that of the Oriental Dragons in China. Would be easier to do. the chimera idea sounds promising.
W/L/T Everwinter Guard
4/4/1
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Cha ... 489997752E

only 1 head which seems like it COULD be made into a wolf thing.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: The Empire, O&G, High Elves, Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by White Fang »

There's a guy that goes by Kirgan on the Warhammer-Empire site who has done a Wolf themed Empire army. You might be interested in some of the stuff he has made. He also use the Fenrisian Wolves for his cavalry as well.

These are a few of his larger pieces.

Hopefully those will inspire you or give you ideas.
Zer0
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zer0 »

Don't have a good source for this, but found it on a Pinterest account for Jan Ditlev

Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Well...dang! That's sort of in the what-more-could-you-possibly-ask-for category. If ever there was a wolf-dragon or dragon-wolf that's it.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Well that is basicly what I said :D
Nartus Hilum
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nartus Hilum »

*spits out tea* where in the world can I get one? And how much? If I wasn't suffering for this cold I would be working on the conversion. But damn that model is nice.
W/L/T Everwinter Guard
4/4/1