Kaese's army (Treeman & friends)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Kaese's army (Treeman & friends)

Post by Kaese »

I just recently started collecting Wood elves after coming back to Warhammer after roughly 10 years. I used to play 40k back then but I always wanted to try fantasy. New work colleague, who have played for 15+ years, gave me a perfect opportunity to start. At the moment I have about 1800 points worth of models to play decent size games, but I find lacking the time to paint them :)

As it has been really long since I have painted anything, I decided to start with the bigger models with less details. So far I have managed to paint 4 elven steeds and one steed of Isha (some details missing). I also have few more steeds with some paint on them, but dare not to post the pictures yet ;)
Attachments
Steed of Isha test model
Steed of Isha test model
Experimenting with elven steeds
Experimenting with elven steeds
Last edited by Kaese on 07 Mar 2016, 21:37, edited 3 times in total.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Kaese's painting progress

Post by frogboy »

They look really clean and natural, excellent work :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

I like the shadows, it brings the pain to paint them )) However, you could increase the size of horse's pupils. They look so mad with that tiny eye pupils :D
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

Thanks!

The shadows didn't actually take so much time as I just used watered down inks on top of the base color. Small details are really frustrating for me as my brush doesn't want to keep its point longer than few seconds. I apparently got an imperfect standard brush from Armypainter.

I agree with you on the horse pupils, but for a different reason. I kinda dislike the cartoonish feel of the eyes. I actually like the aggressive feel on the eyes as I like to think the horses are being pushed close to the limit while running around the prey :) Maybe I will do something about those eyes when after I buy smaller brush..
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

For brushes I broke down and started using Winsor and Newton Sable hair brushes.. pricey but damn amazing! I can't go back to cheaper brushes haha. Still these are great looking I away had issues with horses maybe you care to share which colors you used? did you use GW paint?
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

I used to have few good brushes, but 10 years of lousy storage was too rough on them. Too bad the place where I used to buy them no longer exists. I have been trying to find a hobbystore where i could go and check the brushes, but migth be I need to buy something online.

I don't remember exactly how I painted the horses as it was few months ago, but basically I think you can manage with following. First I used ink wash over the base color. Then the base color again for raised areas and base color mixed with small amount of lighter color for highlighting the most raised areas. You can also "blend" edges with well watered down base color if the highlight leaves too steep color change. Hair is just base color, wash and highlight with drybrush. I actually used little more steps correcting the mistakes as this was kind of an experiment that took quite a while :)

If my memory serves me right I think I used the following colors. First from the left probably was with Gothor brown base, Nuln oil wash and highlight with something from my old Vallejo paints. Next is "bone color" base from Vallejo, Nuln oil wash and "bone" + White scar highlight. Brown in the middle is Gothor brown base, Reikland fleshshade wash and Gothor brown + Skrag brown(?) highlight. The last one is unclear to me as I don't have the paints with me and the colors on GW website don't ring a bell.

I think the colors don't matter as long as you try to keep the color palette natural. The wash and highlight colors can change the appearance of the base color as seen with the two brown horses. With large surfaces it is easy to experiment as it is easy to press the undo button if something goes wrong. ;)
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

I finally managed to get my head around the colors on the sisters and managed to paint a test model to see what it would look like. I have to say that I'm quite pleased on the results. There are still some finishing touches to be made before the model is finished though. :)
WIP sister
WIP sister
I was also planning to make a glow around the magical fire that would lit parts near the fire. I was thinking of using strongly watered down blue paint with some blue ink and just apply thin layers on the painted model. Multiple layers near the flame and less when the distance grows. Maybe adding some white to the mix near the flames. Do you think this would work? I really don't want to ruin the model at this stage :confused:
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Very nice painting, well done:)
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

Had some time to finish the painting on the sisters test model. Now I just need to finish the base and make few friends for her. :)
Attachments
Sister_complete_2.JPG
Sister_complete.JPG
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I like it. the colour scheme is great, and I really like the clean white on the steed.
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

Git wrote:I like it. the colour scheme is great, and I really like the clean white on the steed.
The color is actually really light grey that shifts slightly to blue. The paint is "wolf grey" from Vallejo range. I tried to use pure white for the highlights, but I didn't like the results. After this experiment I wouldn't use white anywhere since Your eyes trick you to believe that the lightest color is "pure white" anyway.

Here is the picture fully completed model from all angles.
Attachments
image.jpg
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Very nice I like them. With out the antlers is a cool idea as well. Keep up the good work!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Branch Wraith conversion

Post by Kaese »

Here is the finished Branch Wraith that i converted for the last competition. The "matt" varnish turned out to be glossy as can be seen on the pictures. I have plans to buy some anti shine in near future.

The inspiration for the model came from this picture, but I wanted to make it to look more like an elven spirit. I want to include Drys from Reaper Miniatures to my army, so it was convenient to convert my first branch wraith to be similar.

I didn't want to take too big bite to chew and first desided to just model the arms and fill the carvings on her body. (that boob just had to have a nipple :roll: ) After the model was "ready", I just clipped off her head in a whim. I didn't like the original face so I had to do something about it. At some point I thought I ruined the model, but in the end I really like how she turned out to be. The branches on her shoulder I just added as I had some green stuff left after I had made the hair. So that is the story behind the conversion.

I had some trial and error moments in painting the model, as the first try didn't look natural. The bark seemed like an armor that could be taken away as the contrast between the skin and the bark was too high. I experimented with green and brown inks on her skin and the result turned out to be great. Now it looks like "a disease" is speading to her skin. I changed the other eye to black as it seemed propriate. In the end this turned out to be best looking model I have ever made. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Dryad horde (WIP)

Post by Kaese »

Finally had some spare time to work on the miniatures. Summer holiday and rain means that eventually there is time to sit down and start to paint. :D

After the branch wraith conversion I wanted to make a horde of dryads. First I did a few test models to see if it would be easy to make a the models look different without too much effort. It turned out that it is quite easy. I only used three paints and three shades. First I used dry brush to apply the two lighter paint layers, and then used one or two different shades to shift the colors. Brushing the paints with different strengths also helped a lot. Some of the details are lost in the picture, but the colors are close enough to reality.
Dryad_horde_WIP.JPG
It took about 5-6 hours to get the 20 dryads into this stage, including hand painted base coat. If I had a spay paint of similar color it would have taken only about 2-3 hours. Next step will be to paint the details (leaves, eyes etc.) and make the bases. After that there is 28 more in line waiting to be painted :confused:
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Kaese's army (dryads)

Post by Kaese »

Here is the first completed batch of Dryads. I have 10 more waiting for basing, so I should have 20 Dryads ready by the end of the day.
Dryads.jpg
Edit: The edges of the bases needs some black paint :D
Villo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Villo »

Kaese wrote:Here is the first completed batch of Dryads. I have 10 more waiting for basing, so I should have 20 Dryads ready by the end of the day.
Dryads.jpg
Edit: The edges of the bases needs some black paint :D
They look great! I'm doing something pretty similar myself. They look very cool in groups :O
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

I agree. Dryads are probably the best looking unit in our army if done this way. And only minimal painting skills required. :D
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Kaese's army (Treeman Ancient)

Post by Kaese »

Just finished painting the treeman ancient today. This has been WIP for few months now as I it takes ages to paint everything, especially if the model is fully assembled before painting. :eek: Today I had nothing to do so I decided to finish the ancient. It took roughly 10-12 hours to paint the model (I'm not the fastest painter). Now I just need to figure out what to do with the base, and then the center piece of the army is ready.
Attachments
Treeman_Ancient.jpg
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Wow. The colours are great. It looks so alive. Great job!
yanchusart
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by yanchusart »

Love the treeman! Fantastic job.
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Kaese's army (Treeman & friends)

Post by Kaese »

It has been a while since last post. Bought a new house last september and after that most of my time went on renovation. Now I have some free time again. Finished painting another treeman, and third is waiting on the desk. :D

Treeman

A group shot

Also finished up an eagle that has been waiting half a year for a proper base :roll:
Eagle

The pics are apparenly too large to link directly as images. Had to use the url instead :(
Berinhart
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Kaese's army (Treeman & friends)

Post by Berinhart »

That group shot is fantastic! :thumbsup: