Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 12.05 I'm not dead!

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 12.05 I'm not dead!

Post by Hawkoon »

Hello there.

I'm first and foremost a high elf player, but have always admired the lithe ways of our asrai cousins, and silly me, bought the new army book and fell in love with some of the newer models and playstyle. So I just had to buy "a few". These "few" grew into an army of it's own rather fast. With the coming of End Times they got even more focus.
Thus I ended up with even more models to paint and I started a PLOG on Ulthuan.net to get me going (I have a ton of models to paint, mostly asur but now a fair part druchii and asrai as well).
The asrai will be the first group to hit my table so I find it natural that my progress should be shared with the asrai community as well, as you all will probably have a more experienced point of view on my works.

My progress so far in photos:

Armyshot (not the complete army)

Waywatchers

Warhawkriders

Naestra and Arahan

Spellweaver

BSB

Shadowdancer

Waystalker

C&C always welcome :D

PS: Not really part of any army since an edition long ago, and recently killed off in fluff, but I have her painted and ready for resurrection:
Last edited by Hawkoon on 12 May 2015, 16:29, edited 6 times in total.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG]

Post by Hyarion »

I love the Waystalker, it's a great combination of bits. I'd totally steal the idea if I could (as if I needed *another* hero model, I could field a whole Mordheim squad of just my various converted hero models but I digress).

It looks like you sculpted some armor on to the waywatchers? Was it mostly just to cover up the shadow warrior look of the bits you used? Or will you paint it to look more like clothes?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Hyarion wrote:It looks like you sculpted some armor on to the waywatchers? Was it mostly just to cover up the shadow warrior look of the bits you used? Or will you paint it to look more like clothes?
Thanks for commenting :)
The scalemail skirt and gemstoned waistbelts of the shadow warriors are very typical of the high elves and had to go, so I shaved down the scales and shaved off the gemstones of the belt. In this photo I've used liquid greenstuff to even it all out. I've recently done some more actual green stuff sculpting to make the remaining surfaces more like the clothing on the Glade guards. I think I should add some leaves to their cloaks as well, but haven't gotten to that part yet.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Some really nice and thorough conversions. :nod:

I just shudder at the "eagle-surfing", it's just not right to treat them thusly.
And WWF and Greenpeace will give you an ear full, too .... :wink:
Elfboy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Elfboy »

Love what you've done with the waywatchers, seen a few conversions using the EG models, but I much prefer your ones, brings some variation to the range. Good stuff.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Turin wrote: I just shudder at the "eagle-surfing", it's just not right to treat them thusly.
And WWF and Greenpeace will give you an ear full, too .... :wink:
I feel the same way about the surfing, so I "chained" the riders to their mounts (I've added some ropework around the necks of the birds after the photos were taken). Though I doubt that makes my case towards WWF and Greenpeace any better... :ninja:
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Or OSHA... :roll:
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Hello again!

I have been looking at the army list I plan on running for my wood elves for the upcoming local tournament at the end of april. (using ETC draft 2.5 ruleset)
These will be the models I start off with:

Lords/heroes:
  • Spellweaver on unicorn #12
    Naestra and Arahan on Gwindalor #6
    Glade Captain BSB on foot #8
    Waystalker #10
Core:
  • Eternal guard x 20 #5, #13
    Glade Guard x10 #1
    Glade Guard x10 #9
Special:
  • Warhawk Riders x3 #14
    Wild Riders x5 #7
    Wild Riders x5 #15
Rare:
  • Waywatchers x5 #3
    Waywatchers x5 #11
    Treeman #4
    Great Eagle #2
The strategy of painting them all will start with undercoating EVERYTHING. Then I should go: unit -> character/monster -> different unit -> another character/monster -> different unit (with #n indicating the order). This doesn't quite add up, but I guess the Warhawk riders could count both ways, and I think I should split up painting the Eternal Guard in 10's at the time.
Justinian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Justinian »

If you don't mind me asking, what model did you use for your Shadowdancer?
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Justinian wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what model did you use for your Shadowdancer?
Not at all. The model is mainly the 40k harlequin solitaire with bow from the HE sisters of avelorn set. :nod:

Edit: the Shadowdancer (not the waystalker) is the Lelith Hesparax dark eldar SC
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

They look AMaZING!

I love the shadow dancer model & the sisters! Your BSB Araloth conversion looks awesome too!

The paint job on Ariel is superb, those wings dude! :D

...well done!
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

With that unicorn model you could use magnets to put weaver onto 50x25mm (Steed) or 50x50mm (Unicorn) base.
henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

Really like your shadow dancer. I might steal the idea myself!

Incidentally we have both exactly the same conversion for the unicorn wizard! Great minds....
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Thank you all for encouraging replies! I'm currently a little behind on schedule, due to the holidays, but I recon I'll have some photos by the end of next week.
Aemir_II wrote:With that unicorn model you could use magnets to put weaver onto 50x25mm (Steed) or 50x50mm (Unicorn) base.
A great idea, but I'll probably just make both alternatives if I find myself in need of a fast cav weaver. Might be someone else steals your idea though :ninja:
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] - UPDATE 09.04

Post by Hawkoon »

Update! :eek:

I've started the process of undercoating the wood elves. Got halfway through in a short evening.
I'm doing a coat of black, with a coat of white on top but leaving the recesses and less exposed areas darker.

I've also read through the ruleset for the upcoming tournament, and it's quite clear that my spellweaver on unicorn should be on a 50mmx50mm base. Just stuffing the model onto such a large base looked really really off, so I went to town on the base with some steel wires, putty and spare bits from the treeman sprue. I plan on adding some detail to the surface with greenstuff once it all sets properly.

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

That looks great :D :thumbsup: with all your conversions you should check out the new P&M Challenge thread :wink:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

frogboy wrote:That looks great :D :thumbsup: with all your conversions you should check out the new P&M Challenge thread :wink:
Sooo.... I should have kept one conversion secret then... :crazy:
Though I'm not sure I get this months theme... "It's a funny Old world?"
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 09.04

Post by Hawkoon »

Ready for some paint!
Just missing some finishing touches on the weaver :sexy:

razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

The unicorn model looks amazing. Congratulations.
I also began to use the same technique that you use while priming. White primer going over black primer to creat light and dark areas makes painting very easier and better.
Looking forward for more pics.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Today I tried out the colourscheme for the army on a Glade Guard. Even though it's just primary base coats I'm quite pleased with how they go together. Since the last time I did any painting, my pots have all dried up so I picked up some from the "new" citadel line, and I must say I'm really impressed with ceramite white. Just, wow... My high elves will love this.
Anyway... Photos yes... Look look, many comment comments :nod:
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 14.04

Post by Hawkoon »

I've actually had some time to do a bit of painting the last few days, and got something to show for it.

I started with finishing the basecoat of the first Glade Guard unit.
As I said initially, I'm doing basecoat on the entire army first before I start shading and detailing each model, so once the Glade Guard were done I picked up an eagle. This was surprisingly fast to paint, so I went to pick up both the Treeman and a waywatcher unit starting to parallel-pain. This is how far I got:
Glade Guard

Great Eagle

Waywatchers

Treeman

C&c welcome, as always
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Looks very promising. The eagle looks amazing and I very much like your color scheme. Keep it up :)
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Where did you get the hatchet / axe on your WW champ? :D
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

It looks like the champions axe from the wwr(/eg) box.

Nice conversions. I had similar plans to mix wwr heads to shadow warriors kit. Nice to see what they woul look like :)
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Thanks for the encouraging comments. :D
The eagle only took me like 30-40 min. to paint, so I'm really surprised at how well it looks myself.
Both the hatchet and the sword arm are from the wwr kit as Kaese pointed out. A little warning about using wwr heads on shadow warrior torsos: you have to shave off far more plastic from the heads than you think. Still I ended up with a few giraffe-necks...

PS:
PeNo over on ulthuan.net did a better job at avoiding long necks than I did, so I recommend anyone wanting to do this to have a look at that example as well.
Last edited by Hawkoon on 15 Apr 2015, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.