Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 12.05 I'm not dead!

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 14.04

Post by razorfate »

Eagle looks awesome:) Very nice painting.
More, give us more:)
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

razorfate wrote:Eagle looks awesome:) Very nice painting.
Thank you :)
razorfate wrote:More, give us more:)
Working on it, but I do have both a job and a familiy to take care of :p
Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

I was more worried how the front of the hood would work with the collar as that would be more difficult to fix. Based on the work you did it looks better than I imagined.

It is funny how easy it is to paint a good looking eagle when you use the hobbit ones. 15min painting and it looks better than almost anything else after 1-2 hours :)
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Yeah, I really love those eagles.
Too bad Gwaihir is finecast. :( Would have been nice to have some more alternatives, aside form mixing up the wings.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

I will have to buy Hobbit Eagles than. I use recast chinese models at the moment and altough they are very tough to distuinguish from the real GW ones (other than they are resin instead of metal) they are a little brittle. Hobbit eagles looks very nice.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

I finished the basecoat for the Treeman, but I'm not really satisfied with the colours. He is a bit lacking in contrast so I'll probably do his bark brighter at certain areas, maybe even all the way to white at some points.
Silverleaf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Silverleaf »

Your conversions (Shadow warrior bits factor highly in my conversions too!)and painting are awesome.
I have to ask... what is your recipe for the green on the waywatcher cloaks/hoods and the Treeman beard. I've got a mish-mash of the old and new GW paints and cannot seem to come up with the earthy olive green that you just did.

A suggestion for your Treeman - I started using pallid wych flesh as a go-to for highlights and my local GW store said it seems to be a trend - its light but not bright (if that make sense?). I shamelessly copied from Torollion's example.

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26128&start=0

Cheers
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Thanks for the tip on Torollions plog, I don't think I've seen it before, and using pallid wych flesh sounds like a good idea.

The green on my treeman and waywatchers use the exact same "technique", and I don't mind sharing.
Pay attention because it might be a bit tricky to understand the procedure:
  • 1. Put some Castellan green on your palette.
    2. Add some water
    3. Spill your cup of water all over the table and the palette.
    4. Try to figure out what the water-to-paint ratio is in what's left on the palette
    5. Grossly overestimate how much paint is in the mix
    6. Apply to the mini
    7. Facepalm due to too much water
    8. Be surprised how amazing that much water in the mix actually is
    9. Keep adding similar mix to all the green areas of the entire model and all other models on the table.
:sexy:

Edit: I'm actually serious, the green is just a strongly dilluted castellan green. And I don't know the exact ratio, but I guess it might be something around 1:6.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

Really like the green myself. Must try to follow your recipe, now is it a left handed or right handed facepalm?
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Waywatchers!
Not quite happy with the white, so I'll probably just go with a khaki in those areas.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Progress!
This time I've strayed from my intial plan, and done a unit of Wild Riders instead... As a basecoat this works, but I really need to expand the palette for these guys when I start detailing.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 19.04 Wild Riders

Post by Hawkoon »

Panic!
The unit of Eternal Guard is taking longer than expected, and I'm starting to fear that I won't have the army play-ready in time. I have until saturday to finish the 20 EGs and do 5 waywatchers, 5 wild riders, 10 glade guard, 3 warhawk riders, the BSB, waystalker, spellweaver and twilight sisters... I'm not sure that is possible...
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 22.04 Waystalker

Post by Hawkoon »

I've been trying to pick up the pace in order to reach the deadline. So now I'm doing more than one unit at the time. Today I finished the front rank of the EG, and I'm close to finishing the entire unit. I finished the waystalker, and got quite far on the 2nd waywatcher unit. All in one evening session.

Eternal Guard, nearly ready for battle
Waystalker (or mr. Green, if you wish)
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 21.04 Waystalker

Post by Cosmos »

Good luck! Its a tight deadline but you are on a roll!
henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

Waystalker is great! Was thinking of a similar conversion but I cant justify buying a second waystalker when I only use one!
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Very inspiring work sir :)
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 12.05 I'm not dead!

Post by Hawkoon »

It's been a while since my last post...
With the news of an upcoming increase in close family members, I've been busy getting a new and bigger car to fit us all. The Mrs. is sick and dizzy a lot of the time, so most of my free time I'm playing with and taking care of our toddler. This leaves little room for other activities, so the pace of this plog will be rather slow in the coming months.

Anywho, I thought I'd update on the progress up until we got the good news :D
Sadly I did not manage to basecoat the complete army :( Though I still got 10/20 for painting, so I'm quite happy with that.
As I didn't get any time for practice, my first match in the tournament became my first game ever with wood elves, and my first game of warhammer since 2011 :crazy: Surprisingly enough i did not end up last! (Second to last, yes, but not last...)
My experiences from the games are the following:
  1. The sisters on eagle are far too fragile under ETC rules, so I will probably not bring them along again unless the ruling changes.
  2. Eternal Guard are slow, and really need some combat support to be effective...
  3. Although the Highweaver on unicorn is really resilent, she didn't really manage to contribute that much. The opponent usually just let her prance about as she wished as soon as she got a few counters. (She did blow up 2/5 games though, and got caught from a break test in another)
  4. A treeman totally owns low S infantry, even if they're called chaos warriors (with shield and handweapon, had they been great weapon ones...)
  5. Wild riders bring a lot of pain, but don't like stand and shoot...
  6. The waystalker seems to be a real annoyance to my opponent, and draws a lot of attention
  7. The army really struggles with mobile high T/AS units (Deamon Prince/Vermin Lord/Greater Deamon etc.)
So I'll be making some changes to the army, but only to include models I already have... I'm still keeping to ETC restrictions, as that is mostly how we play around here.
Alternative 1:
Out:
Highweaver on unicorn and Sisters of twilight
In:
Shadowweaver lv 4 with 5++ talisman, scroll and moonstone
Shadowdancer with lv1 and glittering scales
Glade Captain with BoL and HoDA
Waystalker trades BoL for Ironcurse icon and obsidian trinket.

This list should be more mobile due to moonstone. The lore attribute might actually come in handy as i can swap the weaver with another character and moonstone another unit away. A bit unreliable but the shadowseer and weaver will be able to hop about between units meaning it will be harder for my opponent to predict where to dedicate his units.

Alternative 2
Out:
Highweaver on unicorn, Sisters of twilight, Waystalker and Treeman
In:
Durthu :evil:
Shadowweaver lv 4 with 5++ talisman, scroll and moonstone
Shadowdancer with Glittering scales
Glade Captain with BoL and HoDA
The warhawks get a champ

Durthu is the closest thing to a combat monster we have and should be able to hold his own in combat, as well as giving a 18" ld10 bubble that my other builds are lacking. As in alternative 1, the weaver will be able to hop around units and moonstone them about, but without a magic level on the dancer and one character less (stalker) the hopping might be more limited. On the other hand, having a general that is less likely to shimmy off into the warp does make this list more reliable (but then there's flaming cannons...). Steed of shadows only work on characters, so it will work on Durthu while not on your average treeman...

Any thoughts?
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Durthu don't like cannons :) be sure tot bring a screen ;)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Where did you get the legs for your war-hawk riders?
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Where did you get the legs for your war-hawk riders?
Both legs and torsos are from the Dark Eldar hellion kit. :evil:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Eldar-Hellions
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Those glaives are pretty cool too I must say,could easily be a sort of asrai spear on the warhawk rider.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

I'm still not dead... :crazy:

But my motivation did take a serious blow from a certain turn of a certain company's policies.
I know some still play 8'th, others play KoW and/or 9'th age, but my urge to play warhammer has been completely lost for close to a year now.
I still don't feel like playing any of the alternatives, but I would really like to atleast complete the army that once again have started to gather dust on my shelf.
Not having to get anything "play-ready" does give room for more detailed and thorough paintwork, but it also makes it harder to just sit down and get to work...
(I've even bought some more models this time, another pack of Hobbit eagles, a treeman and a soon-to-be-Orion Deamon prince)

So if anyone have any inspiring methods of how to get the neccessary motivation, I'm all ears...
mousekiller
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by mousekiller »

The Asrai are looking formidable! The treeman is coming along spectacularly... great conversions!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Hawkoon wrote:So if anyone have any inspiring methods of how to get the neccessary motivation, I'm all ears...
Best advice I can offer is to just find an opponent and play. Having that first game to break the slump was what did it for me. I'm now back to building and converting again (not managed to make myself pick up a paintbrush yet, but converting was always my favourite part!)
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

LadyLoec wrote:Best advice I can offer is to just find an opponent and play.
+1

I was lucky enough to get a couple of 8th edition games against Mollesvinet which really helped kickstart my new Daemon army. Now I'm playing tournaments again, the games really motivate me to paint new units.