Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 12.05 I'm not dead!

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Branching from Ulthuan [PLOG] UPDATE 12.05 I'm not dead!

Post by Hawkoon »

Phil Rossiter wrote:
LadyLoec wrote:Best advice I can offer is to just find an opponent and play.
+1

I was lucky enough to get a couple of 8th edition games against Mollesvinet which really helped kickstart my new Daemon army. Now I'm playing tournaments again, the games really motivate me to paint new units.
Thanks for the reply. The sad part is that it's now rather hard finding opponents to play. It's not that important either, as I've lost the interest to play anyway :cry:
But I do want to paint the army, and need some alternative non-game-related motivation
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Hawkoon wrote: Thanks for the reply. The sad part is that it's now rather hard finding opponents to play. It's not that important either, as I've lost the interest to play anyway :cry:
But I do want to paint the army, and need some alternative non-game-related motivation
If you're looking for non-game related motivation, one source I often find works for me is music. When the first ET book came out my enthusiasm for Warhammer was almost completely destroyed, but when I discovered the (extremely awesome and thoroughly recommended, if you're into that sort of music) Swiss folk metal band Eluveitie, my enthusiasm began to pull out of its nosedive and slowly recover, and even now I've been listening to the song The Arcane Dominion to keep me motivated as I paint up the latest group of Wood Elf models to enter my painting table. Of course it probably helps that music (specifically the discover of the genre of Symphonic Metal) was a big factor in me getting into Warhammer Fantasy in the first place.

The other source I can recommend is background stories. I've found that at times being invested in the background of my army has often maintained my motivation for finishing units for longer than it would have usually lasted, and just a few weeks ago reading the army background LadyLoec posted in the Grove of Tales gave me a much needed boost of hobby inspiration. If you haven't done so already, then perhaps an idea might be to come up with some backstory for your army and post it up on here?
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Kakapo42 wrote:When the first ET book came out my enthusiasm for Warhammer was almost completely destroyed
Why not just ignore it? Some guys love End Times and that's great. But I've been able to almost totally avoid it despite being a (fairly) regular tournament player. Fluff is what we choose, not just the latest line from GW IMHO.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Phil Rossiter wrote:
Kakapo42 wrote:When the first ET book came out my enthusiasm for Warhammer was almost completely destroyed
Why not just ignore it? Some guys love End Times and that's great. But I've been able to almost totally avoid it despite being a (fairly) regular tournament player. Fluff is what we choose, not just the latest line from GW IMHO.
Because my experience suggests that those who love it are in the majority, which causes problems when I want to share the background I make online (which I do) without being bombarded with varying permutations of "But according to the ET series this is what happened and it's official and you can't just ignore it!", which quickly gets tedious and annoying. Even then though I actually did end up ignoring it (and coming up with a big storyline that happened instead), and largely echo the statement about background being what we choose, the problem is really more about the social aspect of my canon not syncing up with most other peoples' (since again I actually want to share the stuff I come up with).

But that's all largely in the past. My main point was more about how sources outside of tabletop wargaming, such as music, can be a powerful source of motivation or inspiration sometimes.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Kakapo42 wrote:I actually want to share the stuff I come up with
Now I understand. It would be less of a problem for someone whose focus was purely playing or purely painting I guess. Or to whom fluff is an entirely personal thing.
Kakapo42 wrote:My main point was more about how sources outside of tabletop wargaming, such as music, can be a powerful source of motivation or inspiration sometimes.
Unquestionably.
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I've actually stumbled across Eluveitie before many years ago, but didn't really take notice then (and, yes, it really is my kind of music). Back then, there were no such thing as spotify or other streaming service, so I couldn't really dig into an artists material. Picking it up again now it feels fresh and I've added the band to my playlists.

I'm also sorry to say that due to the state of the warhammer gaming community, my wood elves has been put on hold. I'm taking the advice of having people to play regularly as motivation for my painting progress, which means I need to play a game largely played by the local community. Where I live, such a game is Warmachine/Hordes, so I've gone and bought a new army to play with (well, actually 2 armies: Legion of Everblight and Circle Orboros).

I am certain that at some point in the future warhammer will have it's renaissance, and my wood elves will return to my workdesk for further colouring.

If people are interested in my progress with WM/H I'll update this plog when I get it going.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Happy gaming!

:)