Tutorial: Stonefish's Conifers

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

HorridStonefish
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Tutorial: Stonefish's Conifers

Post by HorridStonefish »

I have made trees for my Woodelf armies and use them for flying bases and unit fillers, this is a tut on how i make my conifer type trees.

This is the equipment you will need:
- A green scrubbing pad (scotch pad maybe?), the type you can get in a super market cheap.
- A length of heavy wire, maybe some kind of fencing wire the stuff here is around 2mm thick.
- Hot glue gun, you can use white glue or something but i find the glue gun cheap and quick.
- Some sort of tree stand, here i have a cork with a washer glued to the bottom.
- Spray Adhesive, once again you can use white glue and a brush but the spray adhesive is so quick.
- Scissors.
- Rubber glove, for the spray adhesive.
- Flock, here I am using clump foliage but i have also used basic flocks to good effect.

First step is to cut the Scotch pad into strips, depending on the height of the tree your making will depend on how many strips, each strip is narrower than the last by roughly 5mm.

Next cut the strips onto rough squares, the width of the largest square from edge to edge will be the width of the trees base.

Glue the squares together as you push the wire through the middle of them, starting with the largest and working your way up. Lining them up so that they are sequential edge to corner (hard to explain see the pic) makes it much easier to trim them into a circle shape.

Once your done it should look like this:

If your making a flyer base leave it with the wire sticking out to put your flyer on, otherwise glue one of your off cuts onto the top like so:

Trim the corners off your tree and shape as necessary,
ACTION SHOT

Until it looks something like this:

At this stage you can add and paint a green stuff trunk (blob of green stuff between tree and holder, pull down with a modelling implement in strips to give bark effect) to give you this effect:

or not for this one:

Put on your rubber glove and give the tree a good spraying with the adhesive and roll it in your chosen flock, dabbing it into place with your fingers and PRESTO!!!
A tree.
Douse it liberally with a matt gloss to keep the flock in place once the glue has dried.

I haven’t tried painting the tree because flocking it is so much quicker than hand painting but now i have an airbrush so i might give it a try.
These trees are really good for flying bases as the wire running all the way through allows you to bend the tree you need to move them to fit in a unit, ie. Warhawk Riders.

This Technique is incredablely quick and can be used for shrubs, wee little conifers and hedges.

Good luck out there and have fun.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Re: Tutorial: Stonefish's Conifers

Post by Baardah »

Really nice tutorial. I'll definitely try this out. Thx
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Interesting. I'll try this out, as I need a few more trees.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Nice one, thanks for sharing
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Afamrail Droth
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Chaos Dwarfs, WOC, DOC.

Post by Afamrail Droth »

My favourite part of the hobby making your own basing materials and scenery thanks for the tutorial :thumbsup:
There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery that enters into the soul and delights and elevates it, and fills it with noble inclinations.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Pinned for LEAF consideration.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

A very nice tutorial. Thank you !
Ab Ithell
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnia, High Elves, Daemons (Tzeentch), Dwarfs, Orcs and Goblins, Black Legion, Iyand

Post by Ab Ithell »

I know that you did this a long time ago but I am just so impressed with it that I wanted to say thanks for sharing