Legion of the Stars **great eagle

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Legion of the Stars

Post by Cosmos »

Hey all, its been awhile since ive posted any pics. I decided to *try* to make a lightbox for better photos. I think they are cleaner than my old stuff, so here are some of the new shots.

Thats my weaver on horseback. Hes a temp fill in, until i figure out how to mount one of the new weavers (the one floating in the air with the staff) on a unicorn!

Some slightly better looks at my treekin

aaaand last but not least some recently finished glade guard with unit fillers.

What do you guys think of the glade guard?? They are going to be of the Hagbane variety, hence the extra greens. Do you guys think those little sprites dipping arrows into poison looks ok?? its a good marker/filler for me, but of course i want other people to know whats going on lol

Soon I will post some shots of the glade riders that i finished not too long ago, plus i changed the colour of my warhawks
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

The glade riders! Im happy with how they came out. They are subtle yet colorful. It was a pain to get them to rank and file properly but overall, im pleased.

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

aaaaand the redone warhawks !

uggh...i hate painting feathers. I changed to the red and white from blue and black because i decided to go with a more *ahem* realistic look. There are kestrels and smaller birds of prey in red and white. Im also going to go back and change my steeds of kurnous from purple to brown
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Nice and untraditional color scheme. The red Hawks are really cool :)
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Baardah wrote:Nice and untraditional color scheme. The red Hawks are really cool :)

Appreciate the compliments!

Your own plog is a source of inspiration for me ;)
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks. I hope to be able to post something myself soon. To much hobby wobble and to little hobby time so it's hard to get things finished. In the meantime it's nice to follow other painters like yourself who actually get things done :)
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey guys so Ive just finished a unit of glade guard. in reality there are 17 done, with 3 unit fillers. Im not crazy about the unit fillers, but they somewhat get the job done. What do you guys think of them? Should i work something else for the fillers, or leave em? And please excuse the background image I kind of just threw the lightbox together

Baardah
Former Council Member

Legion of the Stars

Post by Baardah »

It's is a very cool and nocturnal scheme. And the picture in the background sets a nice scene. But you should try to put the unit closer to the background and zoom in. Then you shoot away the white of the light box.

Otherwise I suggest alittle wash on the faces. Drakenhof nightshade is my reccomendation. It will give a blue shading to the very light skin and fit the "moonlight" color scheme.

And the unitfillers are ok...

That item is a horse...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Ok those are some great suggestions. Thanks baardah!

To give a little about how i do my skin:
1. Cadrian(sp?) flesh
2. Agrax wash
3. Rakarth
4. Druuchi violet wash
5. Palid wych flesh

I know you suggested drakenhof but i prefer a purple tone on my skin. HOWEVER i have seen your work on skin and i cant seem to find a way to get the purple hue. I water down the skin tones and they just fall into the recesses.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

If you want a purple hue on the skin, then do the same steps but use very light purple colors.

I plan on painting a pale bluish skin tone on my dark elves when I get to them, and I'll start with fenrisian grey (a light blue grey color and layer it up with mixing in more and more white.

Oh. And it might be the picture that makes it hard to see the shades. Do you use flash when taking photos. Flash is death to layering and shading. Burns it all away on the picture.

That item is a horse...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Ok so here are some updates!

First, here are the WIP of the sisters. The mounts are done but the actual riders arent. I went with a pretty familiar colour scheme for the steeds, because well, I like it. I am trying to veer away from the less realistic colours for my mounts, but i couldnt help myself with these:

Next up is my finished weaver on foot. I finished him up just to get him outta the way. I love the model, but I lost the horns that go on his back long ago. I added some tree roots and leaves to the base to give him a bit more of a "swirling in nature" effect. Didnt come out exactly how I wanted, but Im pretty pleased with the end result. My lists dont usually contain weavers on foot, so I didnt want to spend too much time on him. I tried to infuse a little more purple into the skin, as per some of baardah's suggestions

Tuladin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Orcs, Dwarves

Post by Tuladin »

Looks great! I'm not a fan of the big tusks either.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Great :) very cool model. I too think it looks better without the rack on the back. I can see the sutle hint of purple in the skin.

That item is a horse...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey guys so here is some stuff i have completed recently. I finished up the sisters and re-based my mage on horse. I liked modelling and painting the sisters a lot. they are great models with some great details, however I still dont like how some of them sit on the mounts but thats just me. To differentiate from the steeds of kurnous, I took of the bigger horns. The faces arent done, but Im leaving them until i find a way to do faces and eyes that I like. Enjoy!

henrypmiller
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by henrypmiller »

Really like the dark colour scheme!

As for the bases, I would go over the stones with a watered down black and highlight them up. Might give a better contrast. than the flat grey.

Great work though, keep it coming!
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey everyone. So my latest project has been a weaver on unicorn. As there is no model for this, I decided that I really want to go balls out and make the best figure I can. I know elsewhere on the boards people have been discussing a unicorn build and such, so hopefully this helps, and possible spark some ideas.

To start, I needed a base. Since there is no definite rule for the unicorn base size, I went with sticking two cavalry bases side by side, filling in the holes with greenstuff and gluring 4 of the regular infantry bases on top to secure it and add another level to the base. I want the base to have some height, so the mini stands out whether alone or in a unit. I went with two cavalry bases because i wanted it bigger than cavalry, but also to fit comfortably in a unit. I have been playing my mage with my sisters of the thorn, so thats likely where this beast will end up, despite losing the fast cav. I know losing the fast cav will hurt a bit, but from the games I've played, the regular movement will be mobile enough to get me around to buffing my units and hitting stuff that gets too close. The sisters have that nice 24" for Curse, so I think I will be ok.

Next up is a quick pic of the unicorn. I took a shot beside the steed to show the scale. It is definitely taller and much beefier, which is perfect. The unicorn is from Reaper Miniatures. https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Unicorn/sku-down. Its a cool model on its own, but I want to do some re-modeling. I intend to make the back end of the base taller than the front, and have the unicorn in more of a charging pose, rather than it rearing up and giving a big NAYYYYYYY. Im going to straighten out the head because its slightly cocked to the right. Im also going to make one of the two front legs straight, and possible curl one of the back legs. As for color, its probably going to stay white, and the hair I might change. I intend on doing a little more research into unicorns before I decide. Oh and I also trimmed the base that reaper gives with the unicorn because it wont suit my purposes.

Here we have my two options for riders. I used my mage with the antler staff on a horse, so I decided to build a new one. On the left is the classic weaver on foot, and on the right is the new weaver that is kind of floating off some branches. I like both models, and have plans to alter both staffs, no matter which I use. The left hand is definitely going to be the sisters hand that carries the fire. The right staff arm is going to have the top bit of the champion staff from the sisters kit, and the bottom of the staff will be the top of the newer sisters staff. hopefully you can envision my plan. Both models will need careful cutting at the waste to fit on a set of the legs im deciding between. I have to be honest, I prefer to use the newer weaver. I just like the sculpt more. However, the older mage matches the legs I have for options a lot better. While a lot of our old models hold up well in comparison to the new line, they are a little clunkier in some places. All I have are older legs to use, as you will see in the next pic. Anyway, here the two options:

Last up, we have the legs. So far it seems that these are the most important, because the top half has to sit nicely on the bottom.

On the left, you have the old High elf cavalry legs. A little bit of work is required on these to make the foot look less like metal, and the chain links need to be covered or filed. If i go with these legs I would likely cover most of it in a greenstuff version of robes to cover the details I dont like, and file down the foot to make it less pointy.

the next set of legs are from the old glade lord that rides our dragon. He has those long droopy robes, which I like the most for the weaver. The legs are a tad stubby as is the foot, and has some of our old details which I will likely file off or cover. You will notice that it is smothered in greenstuff, because I already started working on it. I covered the legs in robes to match the top half of the weaver, but I have come across a few problems. The model as a whole just seems way too thick or fat to match both tops of the weaver, but the older top half isnt terrible. Im going to do some serious sanding, filing and cutting to try to thin out the parts of this that I don't like. This is the likeliest set of legs I will use.

The second set of legs are from our old lancers. The scale of these legs is really nice compared to the top halves of both weavers. The issues I have with using this is the fact that cutting through metal is such a pain without a jewellers saw, which I dont have. The second issue is that there are some really classic wood elf fluffy pants and paraphenalia that would need a little trimming and what not.

The last set of legs come from the reallllly old hawk riders. they are quite simple, which makes it easy to work with to update the look. They are a tad stubby as well, but seem likes a simple fix by snipping the leg at some point and adding some green stuff to make it a little longer.

I know that this post poses more questions than solutions, but hopefully this will help some of you. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST IDEAS AS THIS IS ALL I HAVE BUILT AND AND AM STRUGGLING TO DECIDE WHICH ROUTE TO TAKE.

Thanks everyone
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Well here she is:

Another hero I finished up for fun, may use as a captain or lord if they every become viable, or even as a waystalker:

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Also some dryads and branchwraith ive finished recently:

this photo sucks but gives a front view

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey everyone long time no talk. Ive recently completed some scouts, waystalker and magnetized the whole army!! I will post some pics soon.

My next project is the treeman. Im actually going to build the ancient, but i mostly will be using it as a rare choice in game. Anyway, what colours should i use? My army has a lot of blues, with green and purple and some tiny red in it. I recently saw member nonnoste's treeman and it was beauuutiful. Any suggestions ?
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

I did the treeman as well a while back and found that it paints itself :)

Mine has no real color-bond to my army, although i will repaint my dryads in the same palette.

Be carefull if you would go dark, it's a big model, you don't want it to suck the light from your gaming table :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Hey Cosmos,

You're being too kind. What nXken said is true.
The Treeman models actually paint themselves. All you have to do is choose a base and dry-brush your highlights on it.
The colour scheme you used for your Drycha should work pretty well on an ancient.
I think you should check out Baardah's Treeman (few threads below), because it looks it would fit very nicely in your army.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Thanks for the tips guys.

@nXken I will definitely keep the "too much dark" in mind. I have seen a couple black and blue ones floating around the interwebs that I really like, though. I guess the way they have the glows on the runes and markings on the bark really "pop" makes up for all the black.

@NonnoSte You deserve the praise! Its a unique scheme that I never would have come up with. Baardah's plog is often an inspiration for my stuff so I have definitely seen his Treeman (great work he did on it as well). I considered using the same things as my dryads. Its a red-brown bark, with purple leaves, some yellow highlights and glow, and various greens and greys on the tips and ends of the pointier stuff. It looks nice on the little guys, but Im not sure how it would translate to the big guy.

Hmmm hmmm hmmm I just dont know what to do! I think like you guys suggested, just start and it will paint itself. I really want to make something nice here because it is such a big model.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

If I were you I'd start from a black base, then I'd just dry-brush gradually from brown to red, with the insides deep blue and beard, antlers and waist either purple or bright red. Then eyes and runes yellow as Drycha's eyes.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

What Nonnoste said can work indeed!

After prime do the marks and eyes.

Then try to evade them as you drybrush.
Do "glaze" them when you're done. It really makes the markings pop out!

Nifty theme you got there by the way.
It's unique and threatening!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Much appreciated gents, im going to give it a go.

Thx for the theme remarks I sometimes feel that my stuff isnt very wood elfy but i have gone with some more traditional colors lately