Legion of the Stars **great eagle

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Legion of the Stars **great eagle

Post by Cosmos »

Hey guys,

Took some new pics of my stuff. Hopefully you all enjoy!

A little about the theme of my host, The Legion of the Stars. These elves hail from the darkest of forests, where the sun is never seen, the glades of Modryn. These elves are very pale, almost white in tone, rarely seeing the light of the sun. Their cloaks and armor are dark in color, with some light being seen off the glow of their sprites and weapons.*****

So far what I have completed:

-1 BSB on eagle
-10 Wild Riders
- 10 Wardancers
-1 Shadowdancer
-6 treekin
-2 mage on steed
-8 Glade Riders
-20 glade guard-hagbane
-20 glade guard-trueflight
- 3 warhawk riders
-weaver on foot
- 5 Sisters
-glade lord on foot
-1 weaver on unicorn
-10 Deepwood scouts
-1 waystalker
-1 branchwraith
-21 dryads

Uncompleted:
-10 waywatchers

-1 treeman

New army pics:

Last edited by Cosmos on 29 May 2015, 20:58, edited 15 times in total.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Legion of the Stars

Post by Cosmos »

Some treekin im close to finishing. I cant decide what more details to pick up, i think i want to do the vines and leaves scattered around, but i also cant decide what color thinking a dark blue

**really have to work on these photos....
Aegritudo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aegritudo »

I like that you have a totally unique color scheme!!

Also really likes the "bundle" flag on the bsb! looks great!

About what details... I think I agree.. Should go for the vines. Maybe try a green? To tie them back the their origins a bit..

Keep it up! And gives us more pictures!
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

As Aegritudo said, love your really unique colour scheme, its really quite striking. I especially like it in the wild riders as it adds a different level to their otherworldliness.

Some detailed vines would definitely bring something extra to the models, you could do a really bright green for some contrast, a darker green to stay muted, or possibly a dark red of even a purplish hue as many plants of deep shade have naturally.

Look forward to seeing more.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Thank you both for the kind words, I think im going to go with some green vines to tie them back in with the rest!!

I did notice that my flag bearer on the riders is broken! And i really want to repaint that flag im not crazy about how it turned out
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Hey man I love the dark color... World of Warcraft feel to it (sorry hope thats not insulting) I think it's splendid. From the pictures from what I can see is maybe water down the colors a tiny bit more. makes it smoother and cleaner looking. unless this is exactly what you want to each his own! I'm no where near a professional painter. in fact i think i'm terrible! But it's one of the best tips I've ever been given! What kind of brushes are you using?
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

I think your right in some instances i could add a little more water to make certain parts smoother... in some cases the models are old and already painted so i touched them up to fit the theme so some may look a little "clumpy" however none of the images include old models so that point is moot (for now, wait till you see these wardancers i think theyve been painted for the 3rd time)...

As for brushes I use a mix of stuff.. for drybrushing i use the Citadel medium and small brushes.. then I use some Artists Loft brushes for finer details and the like... the artists loft brushes arent the greatest because the tips tend to separate but I get them pretty cheap so its ok

As for the WoW reference I dont mind at all!! I played that game for a few years so Im sure the influence crept in there
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

haha good stuff mate! keep on going! I need to get my rear in gear with my elves :(
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Here are the wardancers with the shadowdancer!

Like i mentioned earlier, the wardancer have been repainted for the 2nd or 3rd time. I wasnt planning on painting them until the very end because i wasnt really planning on using them. HOWEVER, I used 7 of them for a few games now, and they keep impressing me. KB on Malus darkblade? yes please. using only 7 of them as redirectors and hero killers has been great so i may swap out my waystalker for this shadowdancer. The Shadowdancer is a converted Sigvald from the chaos range i belive. Sigvald used to be an alter kindred and has some dryad brush around him. I decided now that Alters have gone away, I wanted to make him a shadowdancer. I gave him a sword and spear to show that wardancers can use both (even though mine only have swords).. I also greenstuffed away the chaos details on his leg armor, and did my best at scuplting the leaves on his shoulderpads. NOT EASY AT ALL TO DO. It was a long trial and error process. When I pressed the leaf to the cloak i would lose a lot of detail that I had a hard time sculpting back. After a week of leaf sculpts, I just resigned to use him as is, because I have sooo much more to do.

Last thing to mention, yes that is a tree on the tiny base. I wanted the wardancers to be walking out of a tree to show their shadowy ways. Hope it came out nice!

uggh that photo of the shadowdancer sucks...i promise i will take some better photos eventually
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

hutobega wrote:haha good stuff mate! keep on going! I need to get my rear in gear with my elves :(

I hear ya. Since the new book released, I dont know what came over me but i have been painting like a madman. I think its because ive wanted to use them for so long and finally feel like its worth the time
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Some very nice use of colour, loving that blue!

:)
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey all, another quick update:

Here is a WIP of my warhawk riders:

My riders fit into my 2500 pt list and so far they have been my most consistent unit. They dont do a ton of damage, ut they are always a worry in the opponents mind, the psychological warfare they provide is invaluable. They have also supported with flank and rear charges adding some extra combat res, and handily take out warmachines. There was that one game where they got pummeled by skinks...but who hasnt been there?

Anyway, onto the model. Im not a huge fan of the clear plastic sticks they provide to mount the birds on. The sticks are nice and clean and do provide that "flying" or in the air look, however they are not travel friendly and i prefer something a little sturdier. Like you can see with the eagle bsb, basically what I do is still use the sticks gw provides, but I build on it with putty and attempt to mold and paint it in the likeness of a rock. Now, Im not too crazy about my sculpting skills, so i tried my best to cover a lot of the rock with various other foliage. I also wanted them to rank nicely, so the middle guy is lowered and the other two are kind of flying away from him in the formation. I like how they look, and the colour scheme fits nicely with the rest of my guys, even with the big spot of red/brown on the backs.

Heres where my issue comes in. The riders. Im not as down on the old models, the surfing guys, but I feel like i can make something nicer. In come the old waywatchers. An issue for me has always been the way they "hold" onto the bird. I mean I know elves are agile and lithe, but I mean this is a combat bird flying at crazy paces. So im going to use the 3 most suitable old metal waywatchers, and possibly link them to the birds by some nice elegant chains.

If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear em!! I have tons of glade guard parts, these waywatchers, some old welven Lancers (?? I think), as well as the original riders.
Let me know what you guys think
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Legion of the Stars **need warhawk rider suggestions**!

Post by Cosmos »

So I think im going to use the metal waywatcher models to ride the warhawks. While i dont mind the old riders, I did lose one of their heads and after comparing both options I like the waywatchers. They are a tad big to be riding the warhawks, but I guess they are a smaller bird and work in harmony with the rider. To enforce the bond between both rider and mount, I am likely going to add a small chain from the waywatchers to the bird. In some cases i will attach the chain from the helm or a pierced beak depends on the bird head. On the waywatcher, one will have it in their hand, one around the waist and the last one in the hand or attached to the bow.

Does this sounds like a good idea? The chain I have is so small its perfect. I know it may sound like blasphemy to make it seem as though the bird is forced to do the riders bidding, but in this case it just promotes the bond and understanding.

There is one little hitch though, and this I really need opinions on: I want to make the bird on the right (in the picture above) have his rider leaping off the cliff below the bird. The rider will still have the chain attachment but it wont be on top of the bird. Does this sound off to anyone? Take a good look at the bird on the right and let me know if this is feasible/ looks ok!!

Thanks!!
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Glory_of_the_Forest »

Have him have the chain bundled in his hand, with a clip open on the birds head.
As though he unclipped it to go down, and will reclip upon being reunited.
Otherwise it's gonna look like he's flying an awkward kite.

If you must go for the kite look make sure the chain is coiled at his feet or VERY loose. Going over the birds wings to its back/tail. Otherwise it would jerk the bird in a circle or directly down.
Good luck. Play with blue tak
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Blue tak!!? What is it i keep seeing it talked about and used but no idea what it is!!

Thanks for the advice with the chain too im gonna play around with my options
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack

Google search is always a friend when people on the web talk about weird stuff you don't understand. :)
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Haha thank you thank you sometimes i prefer a description from someone thats used it...but from what i gather its a putty with various modelling uses and in my suggested case i can use it to testout various positionsof my riders.. am i close?

Hmm i havent really seen any at my hobby shops...question would the blue side of green stuff work the same? ( i use green stuff as well as another type of modelling putty so i dont mind using the other putty's blue side)
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

You should find it at woolworths or a corner store/grocery place.
It's just used for things like sticking up posters onto walls as it doesn't remove paint and is incredibly weak.
Glory_of_the_Forest
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Definitely don't use the blue side of green stuff it's too sticky for this. Blue tak won't leave any residue on the model and is very weak. Making it optimal for testing this kind of thing.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Great thank you very much im going to seek it out shortly
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Little update...so here are the completed warhawks. I decided to go with waywatchers on their backs. I ordered some leaf foliage to add to my waywatchers to hide some of the metal parts that dont look good. I had to do a lot of reshaping and modelling to get the waywatchers how i want. My greenstuff skills arent good enough to fix em, so im going to use some leaves to cover whatever i dont like. I like how the birds came out though:

Also, here are the glade riders horses that i just finished. Im working on the riders now while i wait for the above mentioned leaves. I did the riders a looooooong ass time ago so they need a little work. The horses came out nicely though im happy with them

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey all so i had to put the welves aside for a bit in order to work on a bit of an emergency job. My little brother gave me his ghoul king that was attacked by his dog. Its so odd, I had spent an hour or so painting this ghoul king, and the dog watched me intently the entire time. Once I was done I put in on top of the terrorgheist and left. I came back two hours later and the dog had picked the ghoul OFF the terrorgheist. No damage whatsoever to the terrorgheist, but he chewed just an arm off of the ghoul king and left some teeth marks... anyway my brother needed him done for an upcoming tourney so here is what i came up with

crappy pics i know but basically i used greenstuff and a small necklace to cover up the bite marks
Last edited by Cosmos on 23 Nov 2014, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

I have an upcoming triumph and treachery game this weekend. My group has never played this before so im pretty excited it seems like a nice little twist on the game. Here is the list im bringing, accompanied with a pic of my recently finished singer

Hero
Spellsinger
Lvl. 2
Dispel Scroll

Shadowdancer

Core

17 Glade Guard
Trueflight

Special
5 Sisters of the Thorn
3 Treekin
5 Wild Riders
6 Wardancers

i like how the singer came out but i would like to define the eyes a little more. Im likely not going to use this model a whole lot going forward though, I plan on putting one of the floating singers we have on a horse
Last edited by Cosmos on 26 Sep 2014, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

I also wanted to share 2 out of 3 completed warhawk riders

Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey guys so just looking over my pics i realize that i dont like my basing that much. Doers anyone have some suggestions to improve it?

I have large black rocks for aquariums that i think im going to grind down to make even smaller (ive already done it once). Once I grind these into finer pieces im going to add some find blue sand into it. Im going to use that as my base mixture. Then on top of that Im going to add in the more neon rocks (orange purple pink). Right now i have the neon added into the black and they dont always come out how i want. The other problem is that when i ground the black rocks originally they became grey and black so after grinding this time im going to either spray them black or have them sit in some black paint.

Anyway, like i said, considering what i use already from the pics above, any suggestions?