White Fang's Wood Elves

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: The Empire, O&G, High Elves, Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Re: White Fang's Wood Elves

Post by White Fang »

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

Phew!
Last edited by White Fang on 03 Sep 2015, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

I have the same idea with Gwindalor. Grey eagle with a black head with highlights of white all over. I even thought I would make the tail white. So I would love to see how you would do it.
Love the warhawks by the way. I don't have any myself because I don't like metal models or the riders. Thinking of buying some but use shadow warriors for riders.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

Sweet! Well that gives me motivation to do a good job!

Yeah, I don't really care for the pewter riders either and that's why I'm swapping out parts, especially the heads. I'm going to use the head from the Lothern Skycutter set for my next one. I prefer that wind-blown unkempt look for these guys. I imagine them shunning society in favor of living with the birds. Kinda crazy.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

Well I finished my Warhawk Riders! Let me know what you think!
Last edited by White Fang on 03 Sep 2015, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

The one with double spear looks impressive. What parts is he made of?
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

He's mostly the Warhawk Rider model, but I used the spear (the one with one hand on it) from the Eternal Guard kit. I also used a head from the High Elf Skycutter kit. I wanted him to look a little wild and crazy, and that head seemed to work. I had to cut off the spear from the Warhawk Rider arm as well as the top part of the hand and then use a little green stuff to fashion the spear and hand onto the arm. I also used some green stuff at the shoulder so that I could pose the arm in a way that appeared as though he was about to throw it.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

Well, I'm coming close with my Glade Lord on Great Eagle. I'm having to do a good deal of green stuff work and I have to wait for that to cure before I can move ahead with painting. Not too long now though! :nod:
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

I finally managed to finish my Glade Lord on Great Eagle last night! This was a tough one. There aren't really all that many models that I could find to "surf" the eagle in this manner. It was a challenge. Let me know what you think!
Last edited by White Fang on 03 Sep 2015, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

I'm making a little more headway with my "Branch Nymph". Hopefully I'll have some finished pics real soon!
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Great basing. I can't wait to see that hand with some highlighting.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have more done soon. The base is coming along, but it just takes time to cure and set up. That's most of the issue.
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

Well I finally found the time to finish my Branch Nymph! I am quite pleased with how it turned out! Let me know what you think!
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I am sorry mr. White Fang, I dont want to be disrespectful or unpleasant, because I like that elf model on the eagle (especially cloak), but eagle looks funny; like it bounces on his butt. :D

By the way, inside part of the cloak looks like it has fat greasy layer of white. Probably I'm wrong, but in any case, when you are painting extremely bright colors (white, yellow, sometimes red) do it in gazillion layers of diluted paint. It's pain in the ass, but product looks awesome, trust me. Also, put some more time in painting eagle. This is your character, not rank-and-file cannon fodder, it has to be one of the best painted models in your army. Not average drybrushed Joe.

Sorry once more for my bluntness. :ninja:
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
White Fang
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by White Fang »

No disrespect taken! I respect everyone's opinion here! That criticism is what makes us excel in our hobby!

I don't really know what else to do about the eagle, though. It's an older version of eagle and being pewter, there's only so much you can do with the pose. If I balanced him on his flight staff any more forward, suddenly the model becomes top heavy and is prone to tip forward. Also, his head suddenly is looking at the ground, like he's about to do a face-plant. I've always seen him as diving into combat and at the last moment, beating his wings forward as he slows himself and extending his talons to rip someone's face off. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm not really sure what you're talking about with the white layer. The inside of his cloak was painted with Baneblade Brown, then washed with Agrax Earthshade, then drybrushed with another layer of Baneblade Brown. Maybe it was that last drybrush that you're picking up on, or it might just be the lighting in the photograph.

Personally, I thought the whole model turned out rather well, considering how much alterations I had to do to it. And before I started painting or modeling it, I tried looking up examples of Glade Lords on Great Eagles, but I couldn't find very many at all and the ones I did manage to find were all pretty crap. Do you know of any examples that I could compare it to? Because as far as the Eagle goes, I'm just trying to do the best I know since I can't find any really good examples.

I really appreciate you taking the time to critique the model, though! I'd love to learn from it!