Wild Rider Shields Q?

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Gerinako
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wild Rider Shields Q?

Post by Gerinako »

Hi Folks,

Looking at ordering a batch of 10 Wild Riders
I have a question regarding the Shields. Are these easy to 'clip on and off' much like the Bretonnian shields - or would I need to modify?

Cheers
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: Wild Rider Shields Q?

Post by Beithir Seun »

I take it you mean are they easy to attach and detach from the models i.e. not fix them in place?

If so, then no - there's no sort of handle or anything to fix the shields onto the arms that would keep them attached without glue. It might be possible to use really small magnets in the back of the shield and in the arm, but it would be tricky...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
khyran
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by khyran »

I'll still give it a try with magnets :nod:
Gerinako
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gerinako »

Crud.

Yeah I was hoping for clips much like the Bretonnian Knights(Top right below image.)

Not sure I would want to faff with magnets for this...

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

You should always run them with shields anyway :-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

You could use some blu tack, that always works for me.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

or just stick the shields to their back: point to the shields at the beginning of the game if you have actually paid for shields, and simply fail to point them out if you haven't. Opponents won't notice the shields are there unless you point it out, and they can't complain that they don't have shields (should you decide to pay for them).
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

Has anyone assembled their new Wild Riders with shields yet?

I am currently using my old ones, but wanted to see how they look with the shield. It looks like they would just be stuck into the arm with the little dagger.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
SherrBear
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SherrBear »

Has anyone assembled their new Wild Riders with shields yet? It looks like they would just be stuck into the arm with the little dagger.
Im assembling some now and thats exactly how you have to put them on unfortunately.
Wooster Shooster
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wooster Shooster »

They look much better with shields. The dagger arms are at angles that look a bit off without the shield. That said I just glued them straight on and two broke off immediately after putting in foam. There isn't really a flat surface to apply glue to, more of a wicker pattern. I would definitely recommend filingdown the arm and the shield to get a better hold.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

Gwill_of_the_Woods wrote:Has anyone assembled their new Wild Riders with shields yet?

I am currently using my old ones, but wanted to see how they look with the shield. It looks like they would just be stuck into the arm with the little dagger.
Bought some and am assembling them with shields! I made the Wild Hunter and love it!!! :D
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I've whole unit already assembled. Thing with shields is poorly done, I don't like it. You have to glue/bluetac it to rider's hand, and what is worse is that they wont stand still unless you put overwhelming amount of glue on the hand or cut out the dagger. Which is a bummer. Also, shields wont fit on their backs (maybe on few of them would, but I didn't "test" it) unless you take off their capes. It's either shield or dagger thing, and its done pretty crappy. Back of the shield has no point where you can safely attach and glue it on rider's hand.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

What exactly are you guys having issues with? There is no intended contact point but they fit just fine. There is no cutting necessary and if you're using appropriate glue (plastic cement) they hold on just fine.
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

Anyone got pictures or know where some are of WRiders with the shields on? I can't find any anywhere after a quick search.
Alaklothion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Alaklothion »

Samoht wrote:Anyone got pictures or know where some are of WRiders with the shields on? I can't find any anywhere after a quick search.
There are pictures of a WR with shield on page 75 of the army book.
Also they are mounted with shields in the assembling guide that comes in the WR box.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy"
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

Thanks Alaklothion, unfortunately I'm away in weird parts of China carrying out some field research until mid-August and sadly my bright shiny new Wood Elf army book had to be left behind before I even had much of a chance to read it.

I wasn't expecting much internet, but happily most of the hotels we've stayed in do have it so I've been spending far more (too much) of my free time than I imagined, simply Asrai forum lurking planning all this great new painting and converting opportunities for my return home date.