Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn magnetizing for dual use?

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cihrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn magnetizing for dual use?

Post by Cihrai »

So I just got my preordered box of Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn today, and looking at it it doesn't look too difficult to magnetize so that you can use either torso as needed. I've never drilled to magnetize pieces of models before though, this might be as good a place to start as any but I wanted to see if anyone else out there has similar plans and/or any input on the feasibility with this particular kit :) Also, what size magnet would you use for a plastic torso like this?

Looks like it should be easy, both the bottom of the torso and the top of the legs are flat (as opposed to some kits with rounded pieces fitting into bowl-shaped ones), the legs are hollow though which I'm not sure how it will affect things. Maybe I just have to fill it in to keep the magnet in place (depending on magnet size)?

For those without the kit that might be curious, there are only five sets of legs so magnetizing would have to be done between the legs and torsos (unless you want to add some other legs, but I'll keep it to what's in the kit for now).

I'm going on vacation shortly so it'll be a while before I can try it out anyway, and I need to buy small enough magnets too - by the time I get back I'm sure someone will have tried this already, hehe.
Re-awakened from a long slumber to defend Athel Loren once more... all hail the Eternity King!
Fildrigar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn magnetizing for dual us

Post by Fildrigar »

The heads. Look at the heads. That's the part that would make magnetizing difficult. You could probably use Glade Guard heads on the Wild Riders, but I'm not sure it would look right.
Cihrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cihrai »

Fildrigar wrote:The heads. Look at the heads. That's the part that would make magnetizing difficult. You could probably use Glade Guard heads on the Wild Riders, but I'm not sure it would look right.
Not sure how that would affect this, they have entirely separate torsos (there's five of each included). Apologies if that was unclear.
Re-awakened from a long slumber to defend Athel Loren once more... all hail the Eternity King!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

As Cihrai said, there are separate torsos for the Sisters and Wild Riders so you can just glue the heads to the appropriate torso.

I plan on doing this myself, to get maximum use out of the whole kit, and I would actually use a combination of pin and magnet if there is room for it. The problem with using magnets as the sole connection between parts is that they don't prevent movement - the parts won't come apart, but they will twist and turn on top of each other. Adding a pin as well as the magnet means that the magnet keeps the parts together while the pin holds each part still.

I don't have the kit myself yet, so I can't say with any confidence whether there's room to use both pins and magnets. Looking at pictures in White Dwarf, it looks like the torsos have some sort of "overlap" on the legs that might keep them in place and prevent movement so pins might be unnecessary, but I can't tell without looking at the kit itself.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Killerdou
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Killerdou »

Ever considered adding two magnets? Of course pinning works fine too.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Killerdou wrote:Ever considered adding two magnets? Of course pinning works fine too.
That only works if there's room for two magnets :D
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

Dont worry. It is doable. I've done it myself so it means every regular Joe can do it.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
galadros
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by galadros »

I intend to do this as well, but with wire pins instead. I will just drill down into the steed to anchor the pin, than have a hole up into the torso that I will insert into when switching between the two. Being plastic models the weight Is negligible, so twisting and shifting will be minimal.
Fildrigar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Fildrigar »

The heads of the two different units use some of the same parts. And not easy to magnetize parts. The front of the head is different for each unit, but the main part of the head is the same. And the front part is awfully small to magnetize. You might be able to work something out with other heads. But if your intent was to just torso swap, you're out of luck.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Fildrigar wrote:The heads of the two different units use some of the same parts. And not easy to magnetize parts. The front of the head is different for each unit, but the main part of the head is the same. And the front part is awfully small to magnetize. You might be able to work something out with other heads. But if your intent was to just torso swap, you're out of luck.

Hmm, looking at the sprues on the GW site, I can see you're right. I hadn't realised the Wild Riders have hair! It might be tricky, but it should still be possible to magnetise the different face masks...

Failing that, you will probably be able to buy a second set of heads from bitz sellers on eBay, or from BitzBox or somewhere similar soon. A little more money spent, but it would allow you to just swap torsos as originally planned.
Cihrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cihrai »

Ah, I did not look at the hair - nice catch Fildrigar! I'll have to look at that more closely, but I have plenty of spare heads from other kits if nothing else.
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

They also share arms. The staff arm is the same as the spear, they just have different tops. Magnetizing/pinning those will be next to impossible.
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

I actually took one of the numerous spare glade guard heads. Cut it's face off (Sounds really bad) and placed the mask over the newly cleared space to make it look like the head is wear the mask. This solved my dual head issue.
Cihrai
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cihrai »

Coyote81 wrote:I actually took one of the numerous spare glade guard heads. Cut it's face off (Sounds really bad) and placed the mask over the newly cleared space to make it look like the head is wear the mask. This solved my dual head issue.
Face/Off! John Travolta and Nicholas Cage would be proud. :thumbsup:
JAMOB
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Other than Wood Elves, lots of Blood Angels and a bit of IG, Eldar and Orcs.

Post by JAMOB »

Coyote81 wrote:I actually took one of the numerous spare glade guard heads. Cut it's face off (Sounds really bad) and placed the mask over the newly cleared space to make it look like the head is wear the mask. This solved my dual head issue.
What'd you do about the spears? You only get 5 bases for those.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Fildrigar wrote:The heads of the two different units use some of the same parts. And not easy to magnetize parts. The front of the head is different for each unit, but the main part of the head is the same. And the front part is awfully small to magnetize. You might be able to work something out with other heads. But if your intent was to just torso swap, you're out of luck.
I would imagine that the wildrider part could be turned into a full helmet with greenstuff reasonably easily.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
krael
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by krael »

JAMOB wrote:
I think the best you can do within the kit itself is to use up the 3 command options and the 5 base-spears that are included. That way you can outfit 8 guys/galls. Last two will require grafting somebody elses arm on :). Maybe the right-hand swords you get from gladeguerds?
JAMOB
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Other than Wood Elves, lots of Blood Angels and a bit of IG, Eldar and Orcs.

Post by JAMOB »

krael wrote:
JAMOB wrote:
I think the best you can do within the kit itself is to use up the 3 command options and the 5 base-spears that are included. That way you can outfit 8 guys/galls. Last two will require grafting somebody elses arm on :). Maybe the right-hand swords you get from gladeguerds?
I guess you could add the one/two swords for the wildriders as well to bring it up to 9/10. Though I'm pretty sure that the banner uses a spear base.
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

I actually took one of the numerous spare glade guard heads. Cut it's face off (Sounds really bad) and placed the mask over the newly cleared space to make it look like the head is wear the mask. This solved my dual head issue.

I guess you could add the one/two swords for the wildriders as well to bring it up to 9/10. Though I'm pretty sure that the banner uses a spear base.
The banner does indeed use the spear base. I have several banners from the glade guard box, I used the spare spear tips (since I'm using all special ends for the Sisters of the Thorns javelins). Cutting the banner arm at the elbow, it fit very cleanly on the Wildrider arm.
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

I built the Sisters yesterday, while the torsos can be magnetised the heads are quite difficult due to the neck joint being so thin and there arn't enough arms to get 5 of each troop type.

However, I had recently made some converted WR from various bits (thread link here to save explaining how I did them again: http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26227). I have managed to get five wild riders from the kit as well as the sisters with very little effort that fit in pretty well with my other conversions.

I simply made up the WR body/cloak and put it onto GR legs with a Dark Eldar Whych head which i put on be drilling out the WR neck and thinning the Wych neck to get the two to fit. Once I've grafter on a GR spear arm they're ready to go.
Hillbilly Carl
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Bretonnians

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

The dark elf warlock hair fits perfectly with this kit (either wild riders' or sisters' heads)...
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

the magnets should hold the sisters or Wild riders together just fine. the smallest rare earth magnets will work perfectly. And there shouldn't be much twisting since the friction between the magnets it placed correctly together. I have my orc mounted on a wyvern all magnetized and it works amazing. get a small hand drill with small drill bits to make a small hole where the magnet will fit flush with the plastic around the hole.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
khyran
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by khyran »

This is a great idea.

Does anyone recommend a certain magnet size for the round rare earth magnets? I reckon 2mmx1mm would work, but I've rarly used magnets other than for bases so any feedback would be appreciated :) Thank you
khyran
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by khyran »

*EDIT: I am an idiot for not reading the last posts. Can't delete this post for some reason, so just discard it. Cheers
Last edited by khyran on 21 May 2014, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

The problem is that they use the same right arms. Only the end of the staff is exchanged for a spear tip in the case of WR. I had already started magnetizing their torsos and pelvises before I realized. But if you can get alternative right arms, I think magnetizing between torso and hip is the best.