How to write a painting or modelling guide for the LEAF

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

How to write a painting or modelling guide for the LEAF

Post by godswearhats »

This brief how-to is for people who are wanting to write articles on painting and/or modelling (or indeed any non-gaming aspect of our hobby) for the LEAF on asrai.org. It outlines a process I think will work well to ensure have a high quality of articles in the LEAF, and that they are kept up to date.

Writing the article
  1. Write your article and post it in the Meadow of Arts.
  2. Choose a short but descriptive title. I can help you if you need suggestions, and this is easily changed later.
  3. If you want to help but don't know what to write, the Meadow of Arts often has questions in it that can likely be answered by a good article.
  4. Ask for feedback at the bottom of your article. This encourages discussion.
  5. Avoid using slang. Common abbreviations are fine (just check to make sure they are in our useful abbreviations and acronyms - if not, make sure and define any abbreviation you use). Remember that your readers don't necessarily speak English as their first language.
Promoting it to the LEAF
  1. Incorporate feedback into your article (go to the original post and hit edit).
  2. It's a good idea to note the edits that you make in small font at the bottom, and thank anyone who made a relevant suggestion.
  3. Once the article has been live for about two weeks or so, send me a PM asking for addition to the LEAF. If you don't do this step, it may take longer.
  4. I'll copy the article over, and link to the discussion thread in Meadow of Arts.
Ongoing maintenance
  1. If your article continues to get updated (via feedback, or new ideas, or whatever), keep updating as above.
  2. Send me a PM if I haven't copied your changes after a week or two. I read every article on the forum anyway, but I may not get to it immediately which may cause me to forget. I don't mind being bugged.
  3. If your article becomes obsolete, send me a PM and I'll take it down. This is unlikely, but the option is open.
Questions, feedback, comments? Let me know and I'll incorporate ;-)

Thanks,
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord